ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Posting full reg plates

mazda 2 sport white
found this on megane sport i think its a good idea for that and cloning what do you all think !

Just a request to avoid posting your own or other reg plates on the site where possible, reason being that we are getting problems caused for members by local dealerships/suppliers being able to identify customers cars. If you dont want a local dealer to know about mods etc make sure you mask your reg plate.

1.8 Civic EX
tis a good idea, thers been a few posts on the subject in the past but some people argue that it spoils the pics, personally I'd rather a "spoilt" pic than clone of my car!

al

ST on the way...
It's really really tedious removing plates from 8 cars in say 100 photos.

People can clone your car if they see the plate on the road, and it's not as is Clio's are exactly rare.

Last edited:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Do you take your plates off when out driving in case someone sees it and makes a clone?

I've never understood why people go to that bother with pictures myself.

Serious question...

How many people can genuinely say they know someone who's had their car identity cloned, which then got them in a pile of shite they had difficulty getting out of?

Last edited:

al

ST on the way...
Ok.....

There's a car on here with the registration L453 EOD can anyone find me a photo/list of mods?

Lol

106 GTi
Griff on here had his cloned did he not, not sure if it was down to pics he had posted on here though.

If people are that bothered they use show plates at events as anybody who takes loads of pics will not be pixel cloning them all out.

mazda 2 sport white
Do you take your plates off when out driving in case someone sees it and makes a clone?

Serious question...

How many people can genuinely say they know someone who's had their car identity cloned, which then got them in a pile of s**te they had difficulty getting out of?

yes but if someone wants to clone a clio well all they have to is come on here
and they have got all the info , don't you think when you are driving around
they could not take all the number and colour in . !

Clio 1.4 16v
Its just as easy to go on auto trader though, most of the trade sellers don't even blank out the plates

mazda 2 sport white
Its just as easy to go on auto trader though, most of the trade sellers don't even blank out the plates

yes but that don't mean we have to help them . say on spotted you don't have to put all the reg down .colour bit of reg type of wheels cup pack thing like that .

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Serious question...

How many people can genuinely say they know someone who's had their car identity cloned, which then got them in a pile of s**te they had difficulty getting out of?

the truth ;)

as mentioned above if somebody relly wanted info, look on the trader etc

R

rich[182]

Cloning couldn't care less, however you can all laugh re. the dealers prying eyes but theres a few of us who have reg plates ascociated to forum usernames, lets say your clio goes in for some warranty work etc and dealer suspects for eg a remap or other mods, youve a www.cliosport.net sticker in window
All they have to do is register, search for plate, obtain username - takes 2 mins
Then search for username - obtain all posts - takes seconds
That user started a thread ".........remapped......"
Posted "had all this done blah blah blah remapped blah blah goes like the wind now" - takes 2 mins

Call from dealer - youve modded your engine - what warranty ? go f**k yourself

If I were a techy @ dealers & the above scenario came up, thats what Id do, its very very easy if plate is connected to username in text, dont need any photos

al

ST on the way...
rich[182];2626785 said:
All they have to do is register, search for plate

How exactly?

Some sort of web based vbulletin ANPR plugin?

*I reffer to my above post (7) :)*

To be honest mate any diagnostic tool and a trained eye will pick up any of what you just said. ;)

Da

Less
lol, I'm sure my dealer is fully aware of any mods I do :) There was never a warranty issue with my 1.2 and I'm sure there wont be with my 182.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
rich[182];2626785 said:
Cloning couldn't care less, however you can all laugh re. the dealers prying eyes but theres a few of us who have reg plates ascociated to forum usernames, lets say your clio goes in for some warranty work etc and dealer suspects for eg a remap or other mods, youve a www.cliosport.net sticker in window
All they have to do is register, search for plate, obtain username - takes 2 mins
Posted "had all this done blah blah blah remapped blah blah goes like the wind now" - takes 2 mins

If I were a techy @ dealers & the above scenario came up, thats what Id do, its very very easy if plate is connected to username in text, dont need any photos

PMSL!!!!

What a crock of s**t dude, do you think a dealer is that clued up/ bothered? They'd just spin some story anyway without looking on clio sport

R

rich[182]

Take the p**S all you want

In normal circumstances I agree a dealer techy wouldn't give a damn

However lets say someone has a problem getting a dealer to commit to warranty work, hardly rare by any stretch, I know for a fact from my RS Owners days that some techies in dealerships know their stuff when it comes to mods etc, some also know of clubs too
If anyone suspected something, however unlikely it is that they'd look into it, they could if you'd got a cliosport stickered up RS, register so they could check

eg The current Eibach group buy, everyone had to post plate & name
If any of those have previously posted "Ive had xyz done blah blah" it takes less than 5 mins to come across that very post by registering and searching for plate, obtaining username, search by username etc,etc

Likely to happen............I agree prob not
Am i ott / paranoid...........Yeh maybe
Result of it happening............you'd not be laughing
Crock of sh*t..................Read the above & go figure ;)

Clio
fcuk it, if someone wants to clone my car go ahead, when i see it il cover it in petrol and light it, good bye clone!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
rich[182];2626785 said:

PMSL!!!!

What a crock of s**t dude, do you think a dealer is that clued up/ bothered? They'd just spin some story anyway without looking on clio sport

Ha ha ha, all that trouble as well. Like Day said, they don't even pick up the phone when they should.

Then they'd have to be able to justify, prove 100% in fact, that that random username they came across was you, and that what you stated on the forum was factual.

No way. There's no material risk. Stop being so paranoid.

I'll ask my question again...

Who has had, or knows someone who has had their car cloned giving them a world of pain as a result?

R

rich[182]

Gaz, I agree I prob need to relax mate, just wanted to make the point thats all, if dealers were as devious and clever as they are generally crap, some of us would be owned

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I agree, if they were that devious...but most of them can't even spell Renault, let alone think of devious ways to screw over their customers beyond "that's normal wear and tear so not covered".

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU
If someone wants my plate, they can see it when about or in Tesco etc. I only blank out a few numbers so it says P__O RRN :rasp:

al

ST on the way...
It's keeping me occupied while i'm waiting for my toast :) lol

*edit* It's here :D lol

Last edited: