ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Potential Car, Potential Problem

Titanium 182
Hi all I think I may have finally found a Clio 182! Will possibly be going to buy this weekend after a good phone call today, only thing is since being on here I have read to avoid APEX springs like the plague lol and it would appear that this 182 will come equipped with a set of 40mm APEX's (standard springs were kept and are getting thrown in with purchase) so seeing as though my town is riddled with pot holes and speed bumps how quickly should I return the standard springs on? I really dont mind suffering a harsher ride for a short period of time until I can afford eibachs but will I even be able to drive slower over speedbumbs or will I have to crawl over them like a slammed ricer?

Rusty Cup
Give it a test drive and make your own conclusions. I hated the standard suspension setup, most people say its amazing so you really need to decide for yourself.

Titanium 182
Ok so just got off the phone with the seller and was asking about the cambelt change, which he has a receipt for and it was done very recently, then I said what about auxillary belt and he said he had it changed about 2000miles before the cambelt so I said why didnt you get them done together as it would of been alot cheaper, and he said well I didnt have a spare £500, to which I replied well it wouldnt of cost you an EXTRA £500 it is easier to do them both at the same time so it would of just been the cost of the belt really, then he said well I actually got it changed because it snapped.. So what do you lot think? He says no damage etc and its sorted now, the car sounds mint apart from a scratch which he is highlighting for me in pictures later on. Would you avoid because of this or still go ahead with a viewing

Titanium 182
and garage who did the work was crosby motors in sc**thorpe, lol image on google street views shows a modded clio in the grounds

Last edited:
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
If the cambelt snapped it's more than likely there will have been damaged, but if it's running fine now then it will have been repaired, check the work receipts on the repair.

Rusty Cup
Scaremungering aside, what is it about the Clio that appeals to you? Thats quite a lot of money for a not perfect 182. Atleast it's from a dealer so there is some come back if something doesn't feel right.

Titanium 182
Scaremungering aside, what is it about the Clio that appeals to you? Thats quite a lot of money for a not perfect 182. Atleast it's from a dealer so there is some come back if something doesn't feel right.
Tbh I though it was good value for its miles and a fsh, both cup packs and apparently only one scratch worth mentioning on the bodywork, you don't think it's good value? It will be a good 2.30hour drive for me so if it's a let down (again) I will be out of pocket due to petrol getting there

Clio 172 Cup
Aux belt snapping wouldn't put the timing out as long as it didn't take out the cambelt at same time so that shouldn't be an issue and the owner was just lucky. If the car is sound and worth the asking, I wouldn't let the springs alone put me off as they can be changed for not much money although IME the longer a car has run on a very lowered set-up, the more likely you will have high wear on other suspension components (shocks, ball joints etc)...........

Clio V6, M4 Comp, X5
As said its alot of money for not a perfect car but apart from that i cant see a prob with the belt changes as long as the receipts all match up.

As for the springs i had them on one of my old Clio cups and they ain't as bad as everyone makes out. There's too many fan boys and arse bandits on this forum who say sportlines are the only ones allowed, its a load of crap tbh, if you think the ride is ok then that's what matters.

Clio 182 FF cup'd
You can buy mine for £4500, 2005, Black/gold, 56k, Recaros, xenons, cup chassis, yozza exhaust, new exhaust hangers, powerflex dogbone, Eibach springs, AST top mounts, Brembo discs, Ferrodo DS2500 pads, mint condition inside and out, FSH including spark plugs change and gearbox oil, Cambelt and aux belts done by Birchdown, new Pirelli P zeros all round last month, receips for everything! Extreamly well looked after, it will be a slight inconveince selling up earlier than i planned so with that in mind i wont accept any offers other than the asking price.

A few pictures here:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?608505-My-BG-182...-8-Months-on

Last edited:

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Jay, there is a silver 182 on an 04 plate in the fiat garage in Bury for £4k. Looks proper tidy. Not sure on the miles. Doesnt have cup packs, but a spoiler and splitter arent dear, and you get xenons then too

Titanium 182
Mike_rs I would have yours in a heartbeat but with only £3600 at my budget I'm afraid I can't :(
Thanks cookson but both cup packs is a box I definately want ticking!
Well I might still go and pay this guy a visit as he did say there was no damage from the aux belt snapping
Problem with me is I've seen so many cheap high milers but I always go by no more than 65k, something my dad has always done so I tend to follow, but as said many times if they have been looked after they are probably no worse than much lower mile examples

RB 182
Problem with me is I've seen so many cheap high milers but I always go by no more than 65k, something my dad has always done so I tend to follow, but as said many times if they have been looked after they are probably no worse than much lower mile examples

So you'd rather pay more for a 182 with, scratches, patchy history and an iffy cambelt change but low mileage than buy a tidy one with a good history for much less just because its done 66K miles?

Low mileage is nice to have but not in place of tidy condition and a decent history IMO.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Should Joseph Fritzels kids do the same as he did?

Your dad is wrong i'm afraid. You should buy a car based on its previous maintainence record and current condition. Mileage (to a point) is completely irrelevant.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
My cars on 106k and it's probably the 2nd best on the market at the moment.

Mileage don't mean s**t imo. Even when looking at cars I picked one with 20k more miles on it 80 oppossed to 60k.

History over mileage always.

Titanium 182
No I totally agree with all, and with that Im going to go and view one quite local to me on 76k this weekend, like you said mileage is just a number if car has been maintained, plus prices are alot lower! Will give him a bell tomorrow! Thanks for all the help, gonna give the one in Lincoln a miss

Black Gold Trophy
That is outrageously expensive! Everytime I look to see what 1*2s are fetching I cannot believe how spoilt for choice anyone buying one would be!

Titanium 182
That is outrageously expensive! Everytime I look to see what 1*2s are fetching I cannot believe how spoilt for choice anyone buying one would be!
yea tbh looking at ones now over 60k even ones at just 70k I can now see how some are really, really overpriced! im going to see 2 this weekend now, both for less than £3500 and coming with FSH, belts done etc, when your without a car you just get desperate lol

Renault Clio RS182
As far as price goes, it's always nice to get a bargain, but i think we should all stick to our guns and be asking top money when selling rather than just looking for a quick sale. It'll benefit us all when we decide to move on, especially after the recent price drops mentioned over the last few months!