ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power steering.. Oil everywhere apart from reservoir

Power steering failed on way home. Just a few miles from home luckily.

Could smell oil and thought was someone else as you usually do, until I was only car on road and realised it must be me! :eek:
Steering started to feel odd, then just as I turned sharp bend into my street the steering went very heavy.

Its now parked at local garage about 5 doors down from my house, which is handy!
Probably a hose gone. Possibly pump. Will let you know the outcome.

ja4e3yva.jpg
ybyjy3yv.jpg
3abasynu.jpg

Just thought I'd share my joyful experience with you all :eek:

FF Clio 182
Just brake clean everything and drive with no power steering. But running the pump dry will kill it so up to you lol

Iceberg 172
My friends did this the other day, on the way home, parked up and then oil was all over the road.

Turned out the pumps shaft seal had broken, so new pump and everything is fine now.

Check if there is oil over the tensioner/alternator pulleys and belt, if not check the high pressure(metal hose) and the low pressure(rubber hose) aren't leaking at the connection. There must be a break somewhere along these hoses and where I've mentioned if its all over your engine bay.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for info. Oils on side of engine where the pumps situated. Belt looks to be free of oil.
Garage have had a look today and said leaks coming from pump itself. May be the shaft seal same as your mates.
Going to fit new pump and belt. Gonna end up costing about 230. Plus it's due a service. Lol.
Gonna order a refurbished pump. Anyone know of a good place to get one? Or just get one Off ebay?

Lotus Elise
The shaft seals went on my pump at Donny.

New pump and Aux belt required. About 2 hours iirc, was a few years ago now.

Iceberg 172
Got the pump from renparts on ebay for 54 pounds with 3 months warranty. or Fred@BTM does one for 150 refurbed with 2 years warranty.

Iceberg 172
If you get genuine one you will have to press the flange onto the shaft, meaning you need the pressing tools.

Think I paid 15 delivered for a second hand pump lol. Im fairly sure they are the same across the f4r maybe more so should be cheaper than 50