ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pre-wash

Golf GTD Mk7
Hi all,

I'm after something to loosen crap from the car on the lower sections prior to washing, also if it removes oil, bugs etc also that would be a bonus. I'm considering Megs Super Degreaser as i'm after something in bulk that can be diluted to stretch it out longer. Plus I can put it into a spray bottle and use it as and when. I'm not a fan of snow foam for various reasons.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-and-exterior/meguiars-super-degreser/prod_382.html

Is there anything better out there for similar money, or cheaper :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
citrus power is very good at stripping dirt, have a look at AF sub forum on DW for there recent thread with pics. and it is LSP safe, I use it quite reguarly on the lower half of the car.

the problem with it is it could become quite expensive if used on a regular basis as the spray head sprays quite a lot in one go. If you're not careful you'll get through 200 - 300ml per car. You don't need to use this much though for it to be affective.

edit
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=251867

Last edited:
  Golf GTD Mk7
It does look good Dave. Will it remove stuff like caked on s**t? or is it just good for general dirt.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It is very expensive compared to g101 for example. Different products imo.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Well I use G101 a lot but only on cars i'm detailing. Citrus is more a maintenence product so it won't affect currrent lsps.

Golf GTD Mk7
So essentially G101 is more effective at removing stuff, but Citrus is better if you don't want to remove EVERYTHING. Is the Megs stuff no good? I would assume that would be protection sympathetic?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Megs APC? Not a patch on g101. G101 is uber versatile mate and cheap for dilution.

Yes g101 is the better cleaner out the 2 but it should be, it's probably twice as strong.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Super degreaser is very good, not sure how well it would work with no agitation.

Golf GTD Mk7
Not necessarily, but it will be used on a few cars, so some will have protection, some wont (don't bother with the daily :))

Golf GT & A4 Avant
the pics of my Silver Golf, blue Focus and Focus wheel were taken after approx 3 - 4 weeks of driving in the snow and grit. The Golf I used a pressure washer to rinse it off, the focus as it was wearing a fairly new layer of spirit I just used a normal garden hose and it easily removed all mud and road grime, the dried picture of the focus door proves the point IMO.

If you haven't got to worry about keeping your LSP I'd use something else. If it's part of a maintenance wash then it by far outways any other wax safe pre wash or snow foam

Golf GTD Mk7
In fareness it'll only be for low areas, the front bumper, and around the arches, so even if LSP present, it's not too hard to redo these areas. Just a general dirt remover is fine. Its to reduce and potential scrubbing required to remove caked on stuff and cut down the washing time in general. It's only the clio that gets detailing products used on it. The daily gets Fairy Liquid :eek:, but it (and the mrs car) don't get washed as regularily, so they are covered in stubborn stuff and it makes the task hard work, so I tend to just get as much off as I can be bothered to.