ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pressed or normal?

Clio 172 rep
Had my private reg for my birthday and carn't decide wether to have pressed plates or normal ones, and wheres the best place to get them from :)

Thanks guys

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Plain..

enanages.jpg

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I agree, plain and normal. And although I agree with Gally, those in the photo would fail an MOT now (unless they have the sneaky 'ghost' type writing, can't tell 100% from photo) as they need to have the issuing garage details on the bottom in small black print.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols. You need to find a nicer mot garage my friend.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols. Of course. He just shakes his head when I turn up in the Frp. It hasn't really passed an emissions test since it left the factory!

Where can i get some?

Il find out the link in a bit mate :)

What's wrong with a normal number plate? Why do people feel the need to mess with fonts and sh*t?

They are standard font... They are exactly the same as clean plastic plates but pressed into metal.... Which is what keeps them legal

Looks sick bruv.

Thanks <3

(I am aware you were being sarcastic but meh)

Pressed plates aren't legal iirc.

Yes they are mate :)

One second il find the link to the thread about it

Edit:

Right! Finally got this sorted! There is no mention of there being a problem with pressed metal plates having raised letters on the DVLA site so the officer was just trying to give me a ticket,But for anyone that has or gets pressed metal plates there are conditions they must meet!

First and foremost they must be standard colours (white/yellow with black letters)

Second they must be Charles Wright font, be the correct size and spacing,

Thirdly they need the company's name and postcode that made the plates,

Fourthly they MUST have this BSA 145 AUD number printed on them, (this signifies that they meet the british standards association's tests for reflectivity etc so they can be used for road use,

They also must be the normal size and carry the normal rules for plates aswell, so if it is missing any of those listed above they aren't legal!

Luckily mine have all of those so please check before buying :) if your's meet all of those and an officer tries to give you a ticket do not take an attitude with him, just explain that it meets those, and that they are perferctly legal for road use,

if it does go further I would advise to take up a case against the points and fine, but again only if it meets all of those rules and saying some guy on CS told you will not suffice sadly so please have a read around yourself to confirm all of this before putting the plates on the car! :)That is all :D

Taken from my thread: some people -.- (police) rant then question

Last edited:

Bux

Golf GTD
You can get legal pressed plates however the police don't like them as so may try and fine you for them even if they are legal. Lots of people end up taking them off because it's not worth the hassle of arguing with the police.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Well you learn something new everyday. However;

a) I couldn't be assed with getting grief or attracting police attention to the car
b) pressed plates look s**t.

​So...my initial response of 'get normal plates' seems to stand.

If someone is going to hit your car, I think you'd have more important things to worry about than a number plate shattering.

I'm with the "standard plate" people. Clean & plain ftw.

clio 182 black /gold
A bit crowded but i have pressed on mine. Never had any problems with MOT or the police.
DSC_9998.jpg