ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problems with the f7r engine

I cant start my engine after the F7R bottom conversion. I wantet the bigger clutch so I used the flywheel of the megane. Now I am wondering if the flywheel has has different triggerpionts of the egnition, since I only get a spark at the 2 and 3 sylinder.

please, enyone who has done this and know if I can use the megane flywheel???

have you put it back in teh car already?

take the sensor off, put the engine to TDC then count the triggers and location as they pass then compare to the clio flywheel.

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 01 June 2003

have you put it back in teh car already?

take the sensor off, put the engine to TDC then count the triggers and location as they pass then compare to the clio flywheel.
Jepp. Was hoping someone knew this, beeing tierd after 4 hours of fault finding... Hope I dont hyave to take it out again.:(

Quote: Originally posted by Adams_16v on 01 June 2003

its not cos ur not running the 2.0 ecu is it?
No. Running 16v ECU for now. Everything is 16v, except for the bottom ink flywheel and clutch...

Thanks enyway Ben. Lookes like you have some cool software:D!!!

I Read a post that you needed the Megane starter to do the conversion, so I asumed that people where using the Megane flywheel...

Quote: Originally posted by clean16v on 01 June 2003

yep, megane flywheel and starter needed, it comes ont he bottom end as a whole
You need to use the megane starter cause the clio starter will not fit the megane flywheel.

So did people use the Megane flywheel??? Or do I have a different fault??

in most 2ltr conversions they use the 2ltr starter, but i dont know if they keep the F7P flywheel or not, but if it doenst work, that answeres your question dont it.

Viceroy.......no

If people use the megane starter, then they must use the flywheel. Good, then I dont have to take the engine out. But what the /%#¤#%&/( is wrong??? Ah, the joy of cars... :sleep:

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

Quote: Originally posted by ruf_ect on 01 June 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Adams_16v on 01 June 2003

but can u use the megane flywheel and the clio clutch?
Nope
What about my brand new group N clutch i bought a few months back. Surely I can use the willy starter and keep my flywheel and clutch?

Adams_16v: Dont think the willy starter will fit a 16v flywheel.

Red16: Booooost. Lookes good! Yes the flywheels are different regarding the clutch. But I am hoping the triggerpionts are the same. Would be great if you could take a detailed pic of a F7R Flywheel

ruf-ect, a pic is no problem mate

williams starter will work on a clio 16v, as its exactly the same apart from the main body of it is smaller. bolt holes n everything are identical, honest!

I agree that the bolt holes are the same. If you look at the teeth of the two starters you will see the difference.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

oh..........sh*t...lol

need to find out then really...as id rather use my 16v one cos of the new clutch!

teeth should be same on willy starte and 16v starter, cos ive used both starters on my flywheel and gearbox with no problems!

ITB Hybrid+Cup+Scenic II

Hi!!!

Had the same problem doing a 1,8L / 2,1L swap

You can´t use the Megane flywheel as it won´t work with the 16v ecu.

It, only has 2 pick up point and will only ignite on 2 cylinders (lumpy idle!?!? ;))

You have to use the 16v flywheel!!!

Regards Michael (DK)

Soon to post pics of my ongoing 2,1L big valve project :D

Great info Michael!! Good to know what is wrong. Out with the engine again..

I have just bought a Williams ECU. Will this also apply when using the willy ecu. I mean: Are the 16 and willy flywheel the same???

ITB Hybrid+Cup+Scenic II

By the way...

The 16v flywheel is a whole lot lighter... yummi!!

Get it lightened and balanced with your crank!! You´ll get a much smoother idle and a very rev happy engine.

Don´t worry about the clutch, it can easyly handle the power of the 2L lump.

But I think you will need a stronger clutch if you go above 175-180 bhp.

I can recommend a Sachs sporting / sintered metal. I will be superb for your drive round the Ring! But not funny in daily traffic! (I know, as my left leg is about doubble the size of my right leg!!! LOL :D)

Michael

Quote: Originally posted by cliokongen on 02 June 2003

16v and Willy flywheel is exactly the same!!!! :) And you can use the Willy ECU...

Michael
Thank!!!! You saved my day. Ill go home and rip the engine out soon.

BTW: Good to see other clio-people in scandinavia :D

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Quote: Originally posted by cliokongen on 02 June 2003

16v and Willy flywheel is exactly the same!!!! :) And you can use the Willy ECU....

Michael
You got a CUP engine in your 16v?

ITB Hybrid+Cup+Scenic II

Yep...

Cup engine.. It used to race in the danish Clio Cup, and won!! Bought it stripped down cause i needed an engine after I had a little accident with a 2,1L engine. I had a faulty inlet valve!! This F*****g valve sort of desided to leave my engine bay and this earth through my zorst!! Destroying the head and piston..

So had to do something, and bought the cup engine.. Cup engines are almost std. They had to conform to very strict rules. Small differences lie in fueling etc. Can post pics later as i have not used this fueling system on this engine but will on my 2,1L.

Pics at: http://www.hi-speed.dkwww.hi-speed.dk Go to gallery, and Michael´s Clio 16v

Michael

ITB Hybrid+Cup+Scenic II

Dust: Have thought about that!!!! But haven´t got the time or money to do it :D

aaronc: About 140-145 bhp, but it is slow because of my 17" and the gearbox, which is from a Laguna. Too high final ratio :cry:...

Michael