ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Products for a black car?

Octavia vRS tfsi
I'll be getting my hands on an Integra Type-R that has been sitting up for quite a while, in the next week or so. I have free use of it for a few months as my mate is in Iraq and my 172 is off the road.

Anyway, condition of use is I give it a major clean. All my cleaning product experience to date has been with Meguirs stuff - Gold Klass etc., which are all gone, so I want to pick up stuff that is better quality this time around.

So, plan is...
1. Wash car ...
2. Clay - which clay? Is the Meguirs clay a 'good' clay? What else should I look at, there's plenty out there but I'm blind to their differences.
3. Wash again ...
4. Clearkote Moose wax
5. Poorboys EX-P

So basically, which clay, and opinions on the Clearkote/Poorboys combination?

I've seen that Finish Kare FK1000P also gets fantastic reviews. Is this a product that should/would substitute in for the Clearkote or EX-P, or would it be used as a stand-alone after the EX-P again?

Thanks,
Ian

Megane R26
What's your budget?

1000P is good, great durability and has a unique look, but it doesn't work so well for me on my R27 (which is black).

So far, on mine I have tried:

- Supernatural V2
- SRP/EGP
- Vics Conc
- Swissvax Onyx
- Swissvax Best of Show (BOS)
- Clearkote
- Colli
- Zaino Z2
- Carlack NSC/LLS
- CG Ezyme (£200!)

Apart from Vics Conc and Onyx, none of them come close to BOS.

Yesterday I did a couple of panels with Swissvax Cleaner Fluid Medium, Best of Show (x2), then topped with Zymol Field Glaze. It gives me the look I have been longing for! It's darker, deeper, glossier than ever before.

All of that said, anyone who knows their detailing will tell you it's all in the surface prep anyway, so ideally you need it machine polishing and burnishing with Menz PO85RD, which is without doubt the best finishing polish I have used!

Your process should be fine though, but I like the warmth of a wax on black, so not sure on the EX-P.

Clay wise, the Megs kit is okay. My personal favourite is Sonus Green, with Dodo Juice Born to be Slippy as 'lube'.

Octavia vRS tfsi
Budget is small enough to be honest. I just don't have the interest to go spending 40quid a time on some Swissvax Onyz. It's only a lukewarm interest in detailing that I have. I'm thinking 50-60 quid all-in.

All of the above will be done by hand also, I don't have a polisher so whatever I get needs to be workable with elbow grease.

Black Gold Trophy
i use chemical guys m-seal, usually apply two coats and then layer a wax over the top, R222 or similar.