ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Proffesional Detailing

Not a 320d
Lol! You do not need a PDG! It's anal, i've never used one in my life, but i have the confidence and know how that i'm not going to burn through the top coat! FYI it takes well over a min at full pressure to have a "Smokey" impact on the paint; there's a vid on DW somewhere.

I also don't see how it's any easier to take an edge off with a rotary than it is a DA?! Explain that one to me.

A rotary @ low speed/low cut polish, (Pads irrelevant) will do a decent job without inflicting damage. Get yourself along to a detailing day and watch a tutorial, it's not hard!

Agree about PTG.

But ...

Takes seconds to burn through with rotary when compounding with a heavy pad. The pad starts to go to bits first.

About edges...Quite easily, especially when youve got more torque to play with. Im not saying you have to be on your toes all the time but the risk is there. Polishing and finishing isnt hard but cutting isnt so straight forward. Pads jumping across paintwork, burn throughs, warping pannels from heat, burning through, removing edges.....Ive done it and learned from the mistakes. Fortunately they didnt cost me a thing as I had a bonnet to play with.

But you should know that right?

Lol @ LIL B comment. Thats something id say.

Clio 1.2 16V
I'd like my car detailed to a showroom finish, got couple marks and 2 little dents in the door where someone has knocked their door into it :(, need it repaired and detailed.

Could you quote me please would be appriciated.

Thanks.

Z4 Coupe
Spoke to the chap I've mentioned earlier. He wants to come see my car for a more accurate quote but he's said machine polish/detail etc will start from £200 minimum! So pretty accurate guys! Told me depending on what needs to be done it should take 8-14hours. Depending on work..

Very interesting. So it aint actually your full time job then?

No chap.

Spoke to the chap I've mentioned earlier. He wants to come see my car for a more accurate quote but he's said machine polish/detail etc will start from £200 minimum! So pretty accurate guys! Told me depending on what needs to be done it should take 8-14hours. Depending on work..

Sounds about right. Make sure you see some evidence of his previous work and get a real feel for the person. Like buying an service, you can usually tell whether you want to part with your hard earned cash just by the way they talk and act...

Z4 Coupe
Will do JD. Friend of mine has used him a few times and I've spoken to him and sounds like a nice chap.

Also had a PM for Jim on here who's work looks crack on!

Not a 320d
Mercury detailing is one of my local decent ones.

He comes along to the Pistonheads pub meets, brings a bonnet, which is black, with sections, old, polished and wetsanded. Hes coming to the right people what with them all driving ferarris and astons and more.

Brings onf of those iStations with him too with all the work hes done, some of the cars usually turn up to the meet as well. Decent bloke, always willing to have a good chat with people. Very tempted to get him to apply C5 on my windows.

Not a 320d
I'd like my car detailed to a showroom finish, got couple marks and 2 little dents in the door where someone has knocked their door into it :(, need it repaired and detailed.

Could you quote me please would be appriciated.

Thanks.

Google for detailers in your area. Expect to pay £200 upwards, more like £400. And make sure you have a very good chat with the detailers and see examples of their previous work.

172 money pit
To be honest i think i'd rather have it proffesionally done, then i can keep on top of it myself from then on..

that make sence?

For sure. To be honest I wish I'd done the same. There are some great detailers in my area. Paying one £400 a year so that I can then do the maintenance is worth it just for the time it saves let alone the price of the DA + pads + polishes.

Plus, any quality detailer will have experience and products at their disposal to get the job done properly first time.

If, like me, you've read one of Jim's posts and thought "I could do that" then you've probably lost a whole weekend or even 2 in the process. Get your weekends back - go wakeboarding. ;)

Last edited:
  Z4 Coupe
Slightly different circumstances now, I was sPeaking to a friends dad about detailing when he said "why pay some one when I have all the gear here"! Which he has! Machine polisher, wax, foam, clay blah blah. He then said that he would do it for me forr nothing! Get in! Also I'll be helping so can learn for the future!

He's showed me some photos of old cars and other cars he's restored/detailed! Latest being a white scimitar GTC, paint and bodywork looks immense!

Lucky boy :eek:

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Massive result..... Sounds like you'll get good results and learn a thing or two as well.

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Interested to see the result of this one.. Do you know the products he'll be using? (polishes, pads etc?)

Once finished, get the car under an intense direct light source and take us a few pics.

DSC_0150.jpg
DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

My car :eek:

Id recommend sending your car to Jim. Top quality work. My car was absolutely perfect after it had the White Details treatment.

Z4 Coupe
Interested to see the result of this one.. Do you know the products he'll be using? (polishes, pads etc?)

Once finished, get the car under an intense direct light source and take us a few pics.

When I know what will be used I'll list on here aswell as results! Not sure when it'll be though!

Z4 Coupe
Ok so things have changed again! Jim at Whites Detailing sent me a PM and, well I couldn't refuse. So the RB's going to spend a couple of days with Jim next week! Ahhhhh can't wait!

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
See you tonight Andy!

If the weather stays fine, I may even get the 'wet-work' done this evening for an early start tomorrow straight onto the machine.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
From a pro detailer Jonny??? For an enhancement detail (single stage) you will be looking at minimum £200 and will need your car for the day. Full correction Would usually see you closer to the £400 mark and would need your car roughly 2 days if its a proper full correction. If he isnt a pro, half the prices shown. You do get what you pay for so make sure you do a bit of research!!!! Lew

Or She ;)