ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project £2k. Cup, for Track and Road.

Westy. MX5
Part 1.
Back in February and after the wife banned me:dapprove: from tracking the Fabia after trashing a number of tyres, my thoughts turned for a Me only car which I could use as a runaround and trackday car, but with a modest budget of £2k.
After much deliberating and advice from various sources I decided on Clio Cup. After a few weeks perusing the usual websites like Pistonheads, Cliosport, Autotrader a ready to go Cup was out of the question as the cost was more like £3k+, so the search was on for Cup costing between £1k and £2k. Condition wise was not that important as I've done many a diy projects on previous cars but the car I would buy would have to have a straight body, no rust and an internally strong engine.
Eventually this one came up for sale on Autotrader in my price range----
IMG_0215.jpg

With full service history, 80k. miles, all the docs, handbooks etc. but a cat c insurance jobbie due to frontal damage that had been bodily repaired but leaked oil, water & PS fluid. So I set about removing the front bumper, grill, radiator, airbox and all the front hoses that leaked. Coolant, PS fluid, engine oil, gearbox oil were all drained and later refilled with new fluids. The radiator and top hose had to be renewed, they were easy enough but the high pressure PS hose was a pain to remove.
I traced the hose around the engine bay and it turns out to be the longest pipe going from the pump - along close to the radiator bottom -under the battery tray - then dives under the bulkhead and runs along the front of the rack. 4 brackets hold the pipe steady en route.
My first choice was to go to Renault and buy a new one, £230, shocker. As I some previous hydraulic pipe repairs from Pirtek I went down this route but 1st I had to take the pipe out without any further damage, with help from a friend it took us 3 hours to remove after removing many other parts for access. The nice Pirtek engineer renewed the leaking flexible hose and inserted a union to allow us to refit the hose assembly much easier than when we took it out. The difficult part when refitting the pipe was screwing the connector back in to the steering rack as there is not much space to work in.
IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

As this pipe was in the bottom off the engine bay and now fixed I could now refit the new radiator, airbox, cooling fan, hoses and all the other brackets and screws to tidy up the engine bay.
Since I bought the car I was always aware of the smell of petrol in the garage and hunted down the cause of this. sniffing my way around the car and eventually to under the rear seat I found the culprit.
IMG_0369.jpg

There is a plastic cover to access the top fuel tank connections with a plastic collar and O ring to seal the fuel pump to the tank, you can see the flange had broken away from the collar on the right hand side of the photo and the new collar with O ring on the left. I fitted the new collar and O ring nice and tight
IMG_0370.jpg

After another couple of days still I could smell petrol fumes coming from the same place. The reason, there is no other seal between the pump mounting plate and the tank lip, so an old tyre inner tube was cut up and a flat rubber washer trimmed to shape to make an extra sealing ring, the result now, no petrol fumes.

Westy. MX5
Part 2.
Now it was time to fit the the front body parts back together again. I spent two days re-aligning the the front wings and refitting the front bumper to get the right gaps, you can never get it back to factory like finish but I managed to align the panels to a reasonable standard. Last thing to fit was the the foglights, which needed new bulbs and a loom to link them together.
IMG_0026.jpg

The Cup is now up and running and the weather improved in May so I turned my attention to the brakes which was best done outside on the driveway for better access.
For the front brakes Brembo HC discs Ferodo DS pads and steel braided flexi hoses were bought and also the rear discs and pads were of the OE type, all changed and calipers cleaned up. ATE dot4 racing blue brake fluid was used to flush and fill the brake hydraulics using a 1/2 litre per corner, best to make sure all the old fluid is well and truly gone.
Next was tax and insure it for the road and some driving to make sure all my work was secure and all is good, no further leaks and the DS pads are slowly bedding in.
MOT test was now due in mid May and passed that easily with no further work required :lolup:
After its first wash the Turini alloys looked rather sad, corroded and kerbed so I splashed out on a re-furb for the 5 wheels ( Don't like the idea of no spare and the inflation kit went in the dustbin) and new Toyo T1r tyres. It's now looking a whole lot better.
June came along and Bedford Renaultsport Track evening was booked. As I didn't want my nicely refurbed Turinis damaged I came across a set of 15" trackwheels with used Advan tyres for the princely sum off £175, bit off a bargain I think. So here we are on our first Track outing
bedford-june2010-063.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

No dramas on it first track sessions, all went well, I'm chuffed.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Good stuff, must have cost a few quid getting it to the standard but does sound ideal for a track car.

Have you had an alignment done at all, its maybe just the pic but the front wheel looks a bit forward of normal imo.

Westy. MX5
Part 3.
After a few weeks and many smiles per miles the weather is dry warm and sunny so it was time for some paintwork attention.
After a soak and shampoo, the chips and scratches needed some touching in with a Mondial Blue touch up pencil, the rest of the day was spent with a bottle of Metallic T cut and I went over the car twice and it is surprising how much dirt came off, I used about 4 polishing cloths in the process. The next day was spent polishing with Autoglym Super Resin, again, two treatments were needed. Final touch was the famous Skoda lip spoiler mod, a bargain at £11.
So here are the obligatory photos ---
IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

The project cost me £2150 in the end not including the track wheels and new T1r tyres which were not really required to make the Cup usable on the road.
I'm happy with the result, even if it doesn't have the pedigree of some of the the really nice 172 Cups on Cliosport but I'm enjoying it just as much.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Nice budget project you got here, careful as the budget can soon be blown with these 'toys'.

Do you work at Gardner Aerospace? I know that company very well as a supplier.

Westy. MX5
Good stuff, must have cost a few quid getting it to the standard but does sound ideal for a track car.

Have you had an alignment done at all, its maybe just the pic but the front wheel looks a bit forward of normal imo.
No alignment done yet, I'm fitting Eibach pros soon and possibly new OE shocks/top mounts if needed, then have it aligned. Keeping it OE all the way except the Eibachs.

Westy. MX5
Nice budget project you got here, careful as the budget can soon be blown with these 'toys'.

Do you work at Gardner Aerospace? I know that company very well as a supplier.

Money will be spent thriftily on the car, renewing parts as close to OE as possible but only if they are better, as and when they wear out. Rather spend me dosh on trackdays.

I don't work at Gardners, just use their car park for photos as I live near buy and its quiet at weekends.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
As long as you're enjoying it mate, that's all that matters. So what if it's cat c, not many ways to have more motor fun for 2k!!

fair play finding one soooo cheap, makes me depressed on how much i brought mine for :( . amazing for a 2k-3k car mate!!!

Westy. MX5
I've now fitted the Prolines, bought secondhand from a CS member, easy job but then the top mount bearings started to grind and judder when turning the steering, strange they didn't do that before, so, off they came again and new OE bearings fitted. Tried some high speed cornering but nothing like being on a track and they don't let the car roll any more than the Renault oe's but in a straight line they are far more comfortable, not crashy like before and soak up the potholes well. Waiting for time to do another trackday to see the difference. They have only lowered the car 10mm at the front and raised the back by 15mm. but that does not bother me, it's ride and cornering that are important. Still on the OE shocks and they are not to changed until one of them dies.

Westy. MX5
Another track day completed, the recently fitted Proline springs have done their job well and reduced body roll on the corners. Clever those Eibach springs, giving more comfort driving on normal roads but stiffening up the car when cornering on track. As it goes now I can't see the need for for an rear ARB as most people recommend for tracked Clios. What was noticed though is my engine mounts are weak and the odd judder felt when accelerating out of corners so they will be next on my list, well I doubt if they have been changed ever in it's 8 year life.

katana2

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Racing Blue
Now its my new car !
She is in France.

uk-119-2dd302d.jpg

At home

She has need a new tyres. And go to track in France.

katana2

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Racing Blue
I do my first experience in track with my CUP !

Its wonderfull ! the engine is nice, the springs are just limit but the Toyo T1R are good.

I love my new car ! TY Sootie ;)

and for the fun:

rs-019-2eeccb2.jpg

With my second car, its a BMW E21 316, born in 1979 ! :)