ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project 172 Southampton

Monaco 172
Hey all, this is my first ever project thread on any of my cars so please forgive the lack of depth or car knowledge as you can consider this my cherry being popped :rasp:

Anyways I’m Lukas, live in sunny Southampton and have had a pretty poor car history since I started driving about three years ago. First car was a 1.0l and I killed that which alternator packing in and coilpack following suit it was only a runaround so wasn’t too fussed, next I had a Punto 1.2 16v ELX which was quite nice but unfortunately that was written off due for the poor Italian brakes and a blind hump bridge. I then had my first clio, a ph1 1.2 RT which the cambelt snapped at 2am in January of last year about 4 miles from my house in the rain lol and then we come to my current motor, which is a Megane Coupe 1.4 16v Sport, which has served me well but I was in need of more power :cool:

So anyways enough with the history and intro, on to the car…

Here she is – A RS Clio PH2 172 (full fat)

DSC00787.jpg

DSC00785.jpg

DSC00786.jpg

Got it for bout 3 grand with 32k on the clock, full service history, 2 keys, 2 bald tyres that need replacing and a broken washer system lol so not the best deal in the world, but with low mileage and the full service history, couldn’t say no really lol

Never really was into modifications to do with cars before this but then I never really had a nice car before this lol so first of all she had a nice clean of the engine bay as it was caked in dirt:

DSC00799.jpg

Not the best job but I wasn’t doing it for very long and gave it a better scrub when I fitted this:

DSC00802.jpg

So out came this:

DSC00801.jpg

Once that was out it was fitted into the airbox and the bay was cleaned a bit better:

DSC00804.jpg

DSC00806.jpg

Next was the changing of the aerial so I ordered a C2 VTS aerial which doesn’t sit flush but the reception is spot on and it looks a lot nicer imo :approve::

DSC00809.jpg

So I gave her another clean inside and out and that’s pretty much how she stands at the moment:

DSC00810.jpg

DSC00811.jpg

DSC00812.jpg

DSC00808.jpg

DSC00816.jpg

DSC00817.jpg

DSC00819.jpg

Unfortunately with getting the low miles at this price it did come with some cosmetic problems, namely the previous owner wishing to scratch the bonnet to death while washing it, so that needs a polish:

DSC00824.jpg

Not the best picture but when you catch it in the sun it looks awful

Also the dreaded wearing of the steering wheel, so I am in the process of getting some rubber thumb grips from another member off here otherwise I will have to get a new wheel :(:

DSC00826.jpg

DSC00827.jpg

So now we are up to date, have bought some 17” TD Pro Race 1.2s and I know they will effect the performance but they were only 275 quid and came with legal tyres so that sorted my tyre problem out, but I fitted them and they sounded like they were rubbing, however I think it was the brakes making the noise as they are rusty from the rain and lack of use over the past few weeks so I will put them back on in a fortnight and see what is what.

Had my cambelt and aux belt changed at Ktec this week so that’s another issue sorted.

In the next few months, more modifications will occur namely:

• Refitting the TD’s but if they wont fit then selling and replacing with Turinis :approve:
  • Sort Washer Jet out
  • Service at Rentech or Ktec
  • New exhaust, not into the stealth thing as I like the look of a good exhaust, so either looking at a SS Powerflow with 3” tip, a Ktec Recessed, Prospeed or Longlife.
  • Lowering on either Eibach Prolines or possibly forking out on some nice coilovers, unsure of a good set though? Help would be good :approve:
  • Polishing out the scratches and detailing the paintwork
  • Sort steering wheel
  • Colour coding the bullet, diamonds and strips to black or anthracite, dependent on the alloys
  • Silvervisions
  • RStuner remap.

More to follow once I’m back from Thailand :D

Thanks

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Looks good mate. Wouldn't have thought the thumb grips would have ended up like that after only 32k. Has the cambelt been done? If so, I think you got a bargain on those miles!

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Looking good, and nice low mileage for its age.

I'll keep an eye out for you around the area :)

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Another localish member. Not really alot to sort on the car really. Only bit and bobs and nothing major which is a result. Give me a shout if you want rid of the old wheels ;)

130i Road, 172 Track
Nice motor. Same as mine! Lol no point lowering on prolines IMO - it'll only be 15mm, so hardly noticeable. Go Sportlines or coilies if you can afford it.

Ph2 1.6 16v
Nice stuff I will look out for ya mate. Did the previous owner have acid for sweat or something or a palette for steering wheel rubber haha weird.

Monaco 172
Sell 17" get 15" - light 15" is the way

nah not for me mate, I don’t like wheels that look lost in the arches but im definitely going to go for 16” :) compromise haha

Looks good mate. Wouldn't have thought the thumb grips would have ended up like that after only 32k. Has the cambelt been done? If so, I think you got a bargain on those miles!

yeah I have no idea how they ended up like that but its only cosmetic which is ok. Cambelt, auxbelt, tensioner and pulley etc got done at ktec a few weeks back but I think I did quite well, no rattles which is good :)

Looking good, and nice low mileage for its age.

I'll keep an eye out for you around the area

Cheers bud

Another localish member. Not really alot to sort on the car really. Only bit and bobs and nothing major which is a result. Give me a shout if you want rid of the old wheels

haha will do bud, how much would you give me for em if I kept the TD’s? yeah I dont mind the bits and bobs, as long as they are easy to sort haha

Nice motor. Same as mine! Lol no point lowering on prolines IMO - it'll only be 15mm, so hardly noticeable. Go Sportlines or coilies if you can afford it.

yeah im going to invest in some coilies when I get my next student loan, not going to waste it on drink, that’s what my job is for haha

Nice stuff I will look out for ya mate. Did the previous owner have acid for sweat or something or a palette for steering wheel rubber haha weird.

haha acid for sweat is the perfect description! Its really annoying though because they keep flapping around and getting caught in my fingers while driving so I need a new steering wheel very sharpish!!

Another local will have to start organising more meets

Nice car though

Yeah meets would be good, nice to put names to faces nd that :) and thanks kerry :)

oooooo nice yeah come to some meets mate

Yeah will do mate, need you guys to let me know when the next one is

Did you buy that from Gatwick used car centre? I loooked at one very similar if you didnt!

Nah mate got it private in Bournemouth, heard bad things from Gatwick used cars so didn’t head there lol got lucky really because the nicer cars seem to be up north :(

Monaco 172
**UPDATE**

I know I said I would update as soon as I got back from Thailand but things have been busy :(

Things have happened on the car now, havent loaded the pics up yet but I will in the next day or so.

Have had the cambelt, auxillary belt, water pump, tensioners etc. sorted at ktec and their service was brilliant and the car just feels so much better now, pulls alot stronger and doesn't sound like a transit van which is another plus :)

Have fitted some black side repeaters now which I got for a very good price and they look quite good but I may replace with some clear repeaters at some point in the new year.

Also a new recessed supersports ktec exhaust was fitted and its sounds absolutely awesome, nice burble when idle and a little deep drone when accelerating and when giving it the beans, epic is the word :)

Unfortuneately my aerial got stolen by some pikeys at santa pod this week so have to buy a new one of those and also need to get the new washer pumps fitted by rentech in the next few weeks before mot time in december :( hopefully the 172 won't let me down!!

Having all four tyres replaced tomorrow with TOYO T1-Rs for less than 250 which I thought was reasonable for the size of the tyre :)

I will be fitting some Apex springs in December along with the washer jet replacement and service which should make the driving experience better, although heard the Apex springs arent favourable as they are crashy but for the price it would have been silly to pass them up :p

Pics to follow tomorrow :)

Clio Williams & 182
Nice upgrades, sounds like you have caught the bug. I'll have to keep an eye out for you about town :D Beep if you see a dirty old Williams 1 !!

Can't believe pikeys stole your aerial! Was probably Justin :D

ph1 track weapon
dont suppose this has been in the stanmore part of winchester for a few days over the past week has it?
keep on walking past a 52 plate silver 172 and wondered if it was yours?

ed

Monaco 172
Nice upgrades, sounds like you have caught the bug. I'll have to keep an eye out for you about town :D Beep if you see a dirty old Williams 1 !!

Can't believe pikeys stole your aerial! Was probably Justin :D

haha i know exactly, it was worth like 4 pound i mean what the hell, how pathetic, means the drive back to southampton was restricted to CD music and my CD's are quite out of date now as I cant be bothered to write some new ones haha

yeah mate will give you a hoot, i mostly hang around the Woolston/West End/Netley etc area of Scum

dont suppose this has been in the stanmore part of winchester for a few days over the past week has it?
keep on walking past a 52 plate silver 172 and wondered if it was yours?

ed

nah mate wouldnt have been me, havent been to winchester for a few months now :)

lookin good fella

cheers buddy :)

For a split second I thought you had left the filtration setup like this :quiet:

DSC00806.jpg

hahaha nah it was all put back together, im quite unknowledgeable with cars but im not that bad :p

looks very good mate, welcome the hampshire crew :cool:

cheers mate :) might be attending the meet in Portsmouth tomorrow so would be good to see some other locals :)

nice little motor mate. good price too. any more plans for it ?

yeah was quite a good price but after the cambelt and tyres etc made me wish I wasnt so tightfisted and shelled out another grand on a minter but hey ho live and learn lol

yeah it's mot is due next month so need to get the washer jets sorted and a knocking has formed now so having to replace my driveshaft on the passengers side :( so more expenses but other than that i cant see it failing hopefully :S fingers crossed lol

after that its going to be lowered on the apex springs for a while and im basically going to keep it quite standard as i like the sleeper effect it has on barges and people not in the know, especially my mates who had no idea it was a 2.0 even though it says on the side lol

yeah a nice wheel refurb will be in order and a decat pipe because the new exhaust doesn't pop enough for my liking haha

unsure of my plans over the next year as i might be going travelling, if i dont end up going then its going to be cammed, matched inlets, H&R'd and a v6 airbox fitted with the battery relocated so could be a big plan

thanks for all the comments guys :) car needs a GOOD scrubbing tho, truly is mess at the mo - to lazy to go in the cold and clean FTL :(

Dynamique Flamer
There is loads, you should all be members and check out the meet section seeing as I organise meets ;)

clio 182 black :)
i didnt no this id be up for coming to a meet and seeing what they are all about as i dont no much about them

Monaco 172
Ok well it has been a while since I have updated this, if you can call it project lol so here we go with the updates :)

There isn't many lol since the last update the car has had a new exhaust fitted, a Ktec Recessed Supersports Exhaust fitted by Ktec themselves and it sounds awesome and looks the part by being in my mind very OEM but still has a nice note to it on idle, without being loud and when pootling around its fairly quiet and opens up when you want to give it some on the sliproads :)

Here are some pics:

Photo0514.jpg

Photo0515.jpg

I'm not sure on what I am doing with the Clio yet as I have heard the call of Japanese Turbo and since I'm going to be 22 in July, insurance isn't so bad now so I may possibly be getting a 200sx but we will see, however if I stick with the Clio it will receive the Coilover, 2118s, Whiteline ARB, Matched Inlets, Decat and Fabia Splitter treatment and should look good hopefully :)

Went on a little drive this evening after giving her a wash so here are some piccies :)

DSCF9638-1.jpg

DSCF9642.jpg

DSCF9644.jpg

DSCF9648.jpg

DSCF9649.jpg

DSCF9654.jpg

DSCF9656.jpg

DSCF9657.jpg

DSCF9659.jpg

DSCF9660.jpg

I am by no means a good photographer by the way, majority done by the other half, the last 5 by me :)

Comments and Criticisms as usual please guys :)

Oh and this may not work but a cheeky vid of my exhaust, only short though :(

th_DSCF9652.jpg

Lukas

Monaco 172
Looking nice is that.

Needs clear side repeaters though ;)

Cheers bud :)

Did have blacked out side repeaters as I did have some TD Pro Race 1.2s in Gloss Black, but had to sell them because I was poor :( would like to get hold of some silvervisions and clear repeaters if I keep it though :) still deciding... :S

Monaco 172
Im sure ive seen this along by Woolston school!

If so, im only up the road :)

Well I only live on the road on the other side of the train tracks, Radstock Road, so you may well have :) Where abouts do you live? I know there's a Cup down the bottom of my road at the flats?

Lukas!

get on and sell it! and come to the dark side!

I'm trying lol have put it on Pistonheads and here but nothing so far :(

Any luck from your mate? :)

ph1 track weapon
i'm seeing him this morning, but he's talking about Saabs now lol. will see what i can do though!

ph1 track weapon
i think its probabaly gonna be a no from him bud. apparently he needs a 54 or newer due to a personalised plate

Monaco 172
i think its probabaly gonna be a no from him bud. apparently he needs a 54 or newer due to a personalised plate

flol ok fair enough :) read on another thread on here that you regret the change over :eek: things starting to go wrong?

Monaco 172
Exhaust sounds good with a cat, its so much louder with that removed tho ;)

lol yeah I know :evil: haven't got round to getting one yet, if no-one wants my car :( then the modifications will begin this summer, decat being one of them :)