ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project White Rider

320d
Well a couple of you on here know i've been planning this since before I sold my Gti but here goes for those that don't...

I've always loved white hot hatches of any form so long as they're subtle and purposeful looking.

Bought a 02 plate 172 to replace my moonstone gti two weeks ago and decided i'd do a Cup Racer Replica i.e white speedlines, white shell and contrasting plain plastics... today the project got under way.

I'll be updating this thread over the next two weeks or so while the car is getting sprayed then rebulit.

I considered buying a damaged 172 or 182 that justified spraying or buying a white 3 1.2 and doing a 172 conversion but in the end I bought this fresh low mileage, 1 owner 172, totally standard with 23,000 on the clock just had its belts done. Its silver to ensure future stone chips aren't going to be an issue.

I took a day off work today and drove to the body shop then set about stripping the car:

DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0019.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0022.jpg

DSCF0023.jpg

I just left the doors boot and bonnet for the bodyshop to remove once the car was driven inside.

All the bonded glass is getting cut out tomorrow (wednesday) then the prep will start.

Everything came apart very easily apart from the aerial was trickier than I imagined to fully remove.

So far i've sourced some fresh unpainted bumpstrips and handles, these will be getting totally degreased then topped up with plenty of back to black.

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

I've got a plain dynamique spoiler to fit again in unpainted black plastic and a cup splitter to finish off the front.

As a temporary solution i've got some lowering springs to fit before I decide which coilovers to order

Ordered a new set of 15" white Speedline 2018's in Aluminium which should arrive this friday and a new set of Exaltos 195/45

I'll be keeping all the Full Fat toys internally as the car is my daily drive

The look i'm going for will be visually as close to this as I can:

cupracersideon.jpg

The drivers side door is getting delocked and the pin holes in the boot lid removed.

I've gone for Vauxhall Casablanca white

I've always enjoyed reading others people progress threads so I figured i'd do the same for mine

Richard

Lee

BMW M2C
Excellent post. I love following threads like this. :D

It's going to look the muts for sure.

is dirty.
If it looks like that then its going to be my favourite car on here. Absolutely stunning.

Lionel Richie
i've got a genuine cup racer rear tailgate with the hole's already cut into it for the pins if you need

let me know if you need any info, as we look after a few cup racers and know them

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
nice work rich, haven't spoken in a while, nice to see you are returning

project sounds like a really good idea, look forward to the end result

Tay

Titanium Clio 182
Nice one Rich, good luck with the project.

I will be reading your updates with interest as you go along mate, always good to see a start to finish project like this.

Gonna be one cool looking car when your done !

Leon Cupra 300
I'd probably agree with Batman, spray the strips and handles in white... and use a cup spoiler rather than that small one.

clio...
Nahh; I thought that at first the whole everything white but after seeing that other picture of the white with the black odds and sodds i couldn't fault it. Maybe its a unquie taste... But this is gorgeous.

Just realized you're in newcastle aswell! Will def be looking out and about for that when its done.