ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

projectors.

transit connect
any1 got 1 of these. just bought my own place and currently have a 37" plasma, but was thinking of putting this in the bedroom and having a projector. will this be ok for everyday use, and whats the picture quality like???prob have sky hd running thro it, sky + at a minimum. also any recommendations of what to buy and price...

cheers

T

thecremeegg

You want a high contrast ratio, and if you want to see the projected image without sitting in the dark all the time you need a high lumen count

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
I've had a Sanyo Z3 now for a couple of years, very impressed. I have it setup with a 77" screen. Great picture quality, and can do 720p to boot. Ideally you do need to have the room dark though. Even with a high lumen output ambient light is going to kill the contrast. For movies there is no contest, a projector is what you want. But for everyday use you might consider something else.

I haven't been keeping up with projector developments, but for around £600 you can get the Sanyo Z5 which is rated well. Also check out the equivalent Panasonic and Sony machines. If you want to move up to a 1080p unit it's going to cost you a fair amount more, my advice would be buy a modest 720p machine and upgrade later as 1080p will plummet in price. Have a read over at www.avforums.com. I purchased my projector from www.ivojo.co.uk and got good service.

Nissan 350z + 206 Dturbo
my inlaws have just set up a cinema room spent about 5000 on equipment
2500 was the projector and the 900 for a special hi res screen or summat lol..

only thing is in the day even with black out blinds you can just about see it..
and the shop told us "Its the top model you can see it all day "" YEAH RITE.
so if you wanna watch in the day id say forget it mate just get a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge plasma or lcd :D

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Keep your plasma.

Waste of time buying svga proj, you need 2000 lumens min, more the better.

They are noisey in small rooms, no need for high res screen ( gain) just matt white paint a wall.

Dark rooms best, in bright sunlight need 4000 lumens or more.

Keep your plasma.

They are noisey in small rooms, no need for high res screen ( gain) just matt white paint a wall.

I would disagree! Mine is only 800 lumens and it gives strong vibrant pictures. Typically home cinema projectors do not have a high lumen output as usually you watch them in a dark room, and a lower lumen output can result in improved contrast. In fact, Sanyo have a "Theatre Black" mode which drops the lumen output to 400 for use in dark rooms, greatly improving black level detail. And as for noise, mine is hardly audible. It's certainly a lot quieter than my PC. I suspect you are basing your conclusions on projectors designed for data/presentation use.

my inlaws have just set up a cinema room spent about 5000 on equipment
2500 was the projector and the 900 for a special hi res screen or summat lol..

only thing is in the day even with black out blinds you can just about see it..
and the shop told us "Its the top model you can see it all day "" YEAH RITE.
so if you wanna watch in the day id say forget it mate just get a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge plasma or lcd :D

Sounds like they've been ripped off then! I'm not sure how you could possibly spend £900 on a special "high res" screen :S It's just a strip of cloth/fabric at the end of the day which you could make yourself for peanuts. Given that you can get decent projectors these days for £600, one at £2,500 should be powerful enough to give you a sun tan!

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Keep your plasma.

I would disagree! Mine is only 800 lumens and it gives strong vibrant pictures. Typically home cinema projectors do not have a high lumen output as usually you watch them in a dark room, and a lower lumen output can result in improved contrast. In fact, Sanyo have a "Theatre Black" mode which drops the lumen output to 400 for use in dark rooms, greatly improving black level detail. And as for noise, mine is hardly audible. It's certainly a lot quieter than my PC. I suspect you are basing your conclusions on projectors designed for data/presentation use.

Thats rubbish, i've been using these for 8 years now.

800 lumens in a normal lounge in daytime you would be washing out.

The min we use is 2000 & even they are out of date now.

Revels Mum & Sister
Keep your plasma.

I am with that man I had a Hitachi 200TX, it needed to be dark but I expected that. It however was excellent in a darkened room. With strong colours and great blacks.

Forget using a projector for everyday use though IMO. Use it as a secondary to the Plasma if you watch a lot of TV etc