ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Proper Race with a GTO last night!!

It was quite a suprise!! We were tearing down a dual carriage way in Stevenage and because it was about 12:00 there was nobody on the roads.

I had already overtaken him so he lost his rag and pulled out to race me down to the next round about. When we came onto the round about we both had to slow down as a car was going across it - then we both floored it side by side down the next carriage way!!

I can honestly say that from 1st to 3rd he couldnt overtake me - we just hung next to eachother. At about 80 he had starting creeping past me, by the time we hit 110 he has sailed off in the distance!! -(and I bottled it !!)

An interesting race definately. I flashed him after and he blipped his brakelights twice then we went our seperate ways!!...Good fun.

Dunno what engine it was though so not trying to say I whooped a 3.0 twin turbo or anything. Had two sets of twin tail pipes

320d M Sport

i tried racing one from 20 upwards and was toast, can honestly say to date its the only car ive been convincingly beaten by. Serious machines.....

GTOs are pretty slow - they may have 280ps but it weighs 1700kgs thats a power to weight ratio of less than a 172.

Hence why it was always really slated by anyone that ever tested it in the mags - overweight and numb posemobile

No FTOs arent that quick, but it has a V6 so with a decent zorst sound nice.

GTOs arent as fast as they claim but would still safely beat a 172, no messing with 280bhp+

320d M Sport

just found this:

Horsepower : 320 hp @ 6000 rpm
Torque : 315 lb-ft @ 2500 rpm
Redline : 7000 rpm

Top speed : 155 mph(limited)
0-60 mph : 5.0 sec.
0-¼ mile : 13.5 sec @ 105.0 mph
60-0 braking distance : 125 ft

I dont think all GTOs are Twin Turbos as there is a number of them in Autotrader that are 3.0 NAs. Maybe he was just playing with me? Seems strange that he would sit next to me for so long though without trying to overtake

maybe he was just rying to be nice to you making you feel good maybe it was an N/A one but you hardly ever see any or maybe it was really sick or maybe it was an auto one

Hehe - Yeah its probable looking at the specs!! Oh well, it was a good, clean, fun bit of driving anyway . I like civil races!! Had a race with a 2.5 V6 vectra the other week and at the end he was flashing his lights and giving me thumbs up! I waved back to him and his bird and drove home..

Many people seem to take racing as such a serious and vengeful thing!!!

the GTO twin turbo seems to be one of those cars that is awesome on drawing board ...... but once it came out it was over shadowed by the likes of GTR

mm Stevenage,

I know the town well, one of only a few in herts that did not have any fixed cameras until recently....

The new cameras which are hidden behind a road sign.

I can only hope the speed that you reached was not on that particular stretch.

Quote: Originally posted by Cord-172 on 07 March 2003

Hehe - Yeah its probable looking at the specs!! Oh well, it was a good, clean, fun bit of driving anyway . I like civil races!! Had a race with a 2.5 V6 vectra the other week and at the end he was flashing his lights and giving me thumbs up! I waved back to him and his bird and drove home..

Many people seem to take racing as such a serious and vengeful thing!!!

I do, its like a life and death thing!

Trophy

There not that quick really, was in my mates willy and he wasnt pulling away much, if we were in my car we would have had him. he was 4 up though.

Mat.

CTR EK9 turbo

Big boats, but probably quite tunable - woudnt wanna chuck one down the A286. A friend of a friends big GTO twin turbo has about 400 bhp, and isnt any quicker than his Pulsar. They removed a seat and it took 4 people to lift it! theyve got 4-wheel steer, and allsorts. Look cool tho.

Top end weapons

i raced one he had three peeps in. floored it in second then to third then turned off he couldnt pass at all?

Also raced a mitsub VR4 twice held it off till fifth gear with the bird in, he was on his own up a dual carrway, he stayed the same diff all the way till 5th then came past heeheeehehehehhe. next time i whooped it rd a huge rd about near me and up a short carrway heheheheehhehe

was thinkin of buyin one with me dad, gto is jap import and 3000gt is british one i fink? too late to think straight:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc

there is a 3ltr NA version of the GTO for def cause a lad has one beside where i live and he even admits himself that it aint that quick but then he has a ninja motorbike too.

I had a small chase with one recently and I was a bit faster but by how much it was hard to tell, we ran in to too much traffic. Its definatly wasnt the Turbo one anyway.

Hopefully I raced the NA one then! With Regards to the speed cameras there was definately none in the strip we raced down but I thought they werent allowed to hide them behind signs etc anyway. I would be interested to know where the hidded one is as it can be reported uder some act and taken down/moved.

Not too many cameraa around St. Evenage!!

VW Potato

is the GTO the one that shares a platform with a Yank motor...I cant remember which one it is though; I think its a Dodge, but its been ten years or so now since the launch and I dont recall which car it is.

g