ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Protecting a mild steel downpipe

I was going to heat wrap my downpipe but after reading into it there was alot of warnings about fires and it eating mild steel.

If I wrapped and sealed the downpipe would it still be eaten by rust?

Is there anything else I can use to protect it? I know there is ceramic coating but I have a feeling it costs more than my whole exhaust cost to make haha.

Cheers
Winston

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah you know how hotan exhuast gets so you know how good the paint needs to be.

I'd wrap it or buy a decent mani.

My one is getting pretty bad but nowhere near holing yet.

TBF it was more manifolds that I read it was burning off.. The internetz never lies tho?

So then fred.. Could I spray it inside and out with a good quality VHT paint?

This is on a turbo. I forgot to mention that...

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i painted my rocker cover with high temp paint 2yrs ago and its still sound, obviously a downpipe suffers much higher temperatures and exposure to the elements than a rocker cover though!

CBR1K, F21 125D
Downpipe wont tend to rust as quick as the rest of gthe system anyway..

But can you not just get one copied in S/s ?

My whole exhaust including downpipe & flange cost £150.. The stainless quotes I was getting were more than double that.

We used mild steel because we didn't have a tig welder and mild just kept it simple and cheap.

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1888.jpg

Sorry its not clio... Its Polo G40 engine with a turbo conversion and a 5 GT turbo carb instead of the injection.

Cheers fred I will look into aluminumising. If iirc thats what the pipe work came coated with from jetex?