ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Protecting White Wheels from Brake Dust (track day)

172 Cup
Hello

Just wondered what would the best way to protect my white wheels for a track day, if this is at all possible.

I had considered just getting a 2nd set of wheels but if possible would like to know if waxing/sealing my current white wheels would be enough to cope with hot brake dust on a track day.

Any help appreciated.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Gtechniq C5, forget any other suggestions if it's for trackday dust.

172 Cup
Thanks for the suggestion of gtechniq c5 - is it really that much better than the likes of poorboys wheel
sealant, Gally?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
worlds apart, I don't really rate any of the paste wheel sealants if I'm honest. so I just stick to a wax like 476 or FK1000 if I'm not going to do it properly.

if you want to do it properly, with a product that will resist the high temperatures, will last 12months plus easy and all that is needed for a clean is a pressure washer of a weak shampoo dilution C5 is the only way forward. I've got it on my wheels and snowfoam and pressure rinse brings them back with no brake dust or tar spots

172 Cup
worlds apart, I don't really rate any of the paste wheel sealants if I'm honest. so I just stick to a wax like 476 or FK1000 if I'm not going to do it properly.

if you want to do it properly, with a product that will resist the high temperatures, will last 12months plus easy and all that is needed for a clean is a pressure washer of a weak shampoo dilution C5 is the only way forward. I've got it on my wheels and snowfoam and pressure rinse brings them back with no brake dust or tar spots

Sounds good thanks for your help - just seen a review on DW looks very promising.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It does what it says on the tin mate. Other wax style sealants don't last quite aslong and can burn off quite quick. Ceramic coatings are totally different.

All about the preparation though when applying.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I have one more wheel to do and have been thinking of doing a write up on it and get it stickied as this question gets raised so often. problem is it's a rear wheel that's not that grubby to start with

C5 does over shadow every other wheel sealant on the market.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, JD did a very good one but it's in his detail. Prep is key and Gtech products are fussy for people just coming into detailing. :)

172 Cup
Thanks for the help - i'll look into buying some before a track day and obviously ensuring decent prep before applying the wheel armor.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
What sealant would people recommended to seal my new anthra 2118s before I fit them. Ideally something I could get hold of before monday as I'm fitting them then and I really cba taking them off again to do the insides.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
As said above mate you ideally need to be using C5 if you cant be bothered taking them off again. however (not being rude) the above comment make me think you wouldn't necessarily be suited to such a fussy product such as C5.

Therefore id try some FK1000p that way you'll still get some decent protection but its not a case of re-furbing the wheels if you get it wrong.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
^ I'm not mate, I'm very much a noob when it comes to proper detailing with proper products. I'm just looking for something that will give them abit of protection for a few months. Then I'll take them off clean them
up and repeat the process...

Golf GT & A4 Avant
if you are going to do full and proper prep, then C5, GT do next day delivery so contact them direct and see what they can do 0
1923 264344
Clean your car also have it in stock and provide next day delivery

if you're not then don't bother, stick to a wax like 476 / fk1000 / mint rims, most of these can be got from cleanyourcar.com also

Not a 320d
If youre happy to remove every month or two, then stick with FK1000p.

C5 is great and all but it can only take so much s**t. Theres still pitting issues on bigger brakes. Just washed an F10 today and that had C5 applied a few weeks back now, beads great and all, but there are filings in some ares which wont budge.