ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Protection - filter or no filter?

Never used a filter on my Olympus, never had a mark on the lens either - even though it got bashed a wee bit.

Now.... my Nikon lens is worth considerably more than the Oly... worth putting a filter on as extra protection... or just be careful? As its 16mm at the wide end I have to be careful that a filter would not get in the way too.

Pretty sure the lenses are pretty well coated anyway and scratches are rare...

But nice to get CS thoughts on the matter!

Don't bother.

Wast of money imho.

As long as you're sensible, you'll never need it. I've never used any filters on any of my 'pro' lenses. It's something else for the light to pass through, reducing quality.

A red missile
I might use a grad blue or grey now and again for effect but not for protection, don't even bother with the L series gear, the hoods are large and would probably keep them safe even if I had a brain fart and dropped one.

I've got a top end UV filter on my 17-55 f/2.8 IS but I tend to use it in situations that also involve alcohol and clumsy mates! Nothing on the other lenses except big hoods.

On a side note the fecking filter is on so tight I'm going to need a special tool should I ever want to take it off!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I always use a uv filter, why woudlnt you? It doesnt affect the performance and its cheap

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I had hoya UV filters at one point, like said got lens flare.

Now i won't use them, some people think i'm mad not protecting the glass but i'll just look after my gear instead.

Oil Burner
No point. A good filter costs a similar amount to a new Objective lens.

I've never damaged a lens through not having a filter on, besides ironically when the lens cap slipped off. And even then a new 87mm front objective on my sigma cost me £110 including a new AF motor and service.

When you think about all of the filters you would have to buy to protect all your lenses i think you would be quids in just to replace the odd element if it got damaged. Baring in mind that i presume you would replace the filter if it got damaged too?

If your shooting rallying i might make an exception to this.

2.2 bar shed.
Only thing in my lineup that gets a filter is my 10 - 22 as the hood offers no protection at all. I work with pissed people constantly so a little bit of protection never harmed it, everything else is protected by the hood. Does make it flare like a motherfucker though...

Nikon D700
I've got one 77mm that I put on my good lenses if I fear them getting damaged. They're usually naked. Unless I'm at the beach with an on-shore wind shooting sunsets, of at a rally with stones flying everywhere!