ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PS3 Firmware 1.8 released tomorrow

Citroen DS3 DSport
London, 24 May 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today availability of the latest version of the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) firmware. Version 1.80 features upscaling of PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 games, and DVD movies up to full 1080p HD resolution when viewed on a compatible HD TV set.

The capability to upscale DVDs to HD quality is a feature normally only associated with top range DVD players, and its inclusion in the latest firmware upgrade now allows PS3 owners with an existing DVD collection to dramatically enhance the viewing pleasure of their DVD collection when viewed through a compatible HD TV set. Not only are DVD movies enhanced to full 1080p HD quality but so too will PlayStation 2 and PlayStation games be upscaled to provide much improved gaming pleasure.

In a comprehensive update to PS3’s already impressive capabilities, Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available.

Version 1.80 also allows users on a home network to seamlessly view and play rich media content such as images, music and video on their PS3, that is stored on their DLNA3 enabled devices such as PCs and laptops elsewhere in the house, reinforcing PS3’s credentials as a home entertainment hub that truly deserves pride of place in the Living Room.

A host of other enhancements includes the ability to print photo images stored on PS3’s hard disk drive or inserted storage media to a selection of Epson printers via USB connection.

PS3 owners will be able to upgrade their PS3 with the latest Version 1.80 firmware from 24th May 2007.

Notes:
1. DVD-ROM (including DVD Video content) can only be upscaled with HDMI compatible TV sets.
2. Use of Remote Play requires PS3 version 1.80 as well as PSP firmware version 3.50 which will be available at the end of May.
3. DLNA – Digital Living Network Alliance. For more info on DLNA, please see http://www.dlna.org/en/consumer/home

Clio 172 Mk2
that is absolutely amazing!! been waiting for this one, the fact the ps2 games are upscaled is awesome!!

No SD dvd will be upscaled to 1080 res (no matter what they are played on) as they simply arnt coded as such.

The most you'll get (in HD speak) is 480P. It will look better than from a standard dvd player but will be far from HD. It just enhances image quality by erasing as much noise as possible, and has clearer line definition.

In my experience the stand alone DVD upscalers are a waste of cash, I cant see this being any different technically. Still its good for free and better than the old SD players.

Last edited:
  SLK 350
No SD dvd will be upscaled to 1080 res (no matter what they are played on) as they simply arnt coded as such.

The most you'll get (in HD speak) is 480P. It will look better than from a standard dvd player but will be far from HD. It just enhances image quality by erasing as much noise as possible, and has clearer line definition.

In my experience the stand alone DVD upscalers are a waste of cash, I cant see this being any different technically. Still its good for free and better than the old SD players.

Go and educate yourself - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upscaling_DVD

And Roy what are you babbling about?

Jesus, what is it on here about people moaning about things they don't own?

Go and educate yourself - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upscaling_DVD

And Roy what are you babbling about?

Jesus, what is it on here about people moaning about things they don't own?

Actually, my stand alone dvd player has an upscaler and its rubbish. Not that I need to own it to understand the technology, please dont be so arrogant.

I tried to educate myself, but it doesnt work when I'm told something I already know - "Upscaling does not really convert standard DVD-Video into true high-definition images". From the above link. If it did, why the hell would we need Blueray or HD DVD?????????

Anything above 480P on an SD disc is a simple case of pixel duplication (ie filling in the blanks) and faking.

Again I'll reference your link;

*Referring to what the upscaler actually does* :-

SSP (Statistical-Post-Proc.)
DeBlocking
DeRinging
Sharpen
Soften
ReQuantization
Auto-Luminance
Blurring
DeNoising

Thats pretty much proved my first post, all they do is clean up the image, they dont actually increase the resolution.

So tell me Hoff, the man who seems to know everything about everything, where do the extra pixels come from on your magic copy of Top Gun?

Last edited:
R

rich[182]

Upscaling works well, regardless of how it's achieved (who cares anyway) spend 5 mins looking through any of the high street home cinema mags and you'll read that SD DVD's upscaled to 1080p offer substantial visual improvement over the 480 or 576 whatever it is, In some tests they compare the Dennon 1930 on a good LCD v BD or HD-DVD on a mid-range set with out of the box settings and your average consumers were hard pressed to tell the difference

This update is good, if the update had confirmed that 1080p support couldn't be provided everyone would have said thats crap, instead the update provides 1080p / upscaling and it's still classed as crap, they can't win

I've seen a demo of such upscaling using Starwars Ep3, picture was amazing, so good that I'd argue why does Joe Public need HD-DVD or BD lol ;) as in buying a standalone player etc

^^^ I agree they do look better, they're just not high def, and they wont be 'true' 1080p as the image simply doesnt contain the pixels, even if it is carried on a digital 1080p signal!

Try comparing an upscaled SD dvd to a BD or HD DVD counterpart and you'll see a big difference again.

Last edited:
  SLK 350
Actually, my stand alone dvd player has an upscaler and its rubbish. Not that I need to own it to understand the technology, please dont be so arrogant.

What make and model, I suggets kindly that you get a better upscaler because from experience an SD image next to an upscaled SD image is REMARKABLY different on and LCD/Plasma TV.

Williams025 said:
I tried to educate myself, but it doesnt work when I'm told something I already know - "Upscaling does not really convert standard DVD-Video into true high-definition images". From the above link. If it did, why the hell would we need Blueray or HD DVD?

Nice one Einstein, did it take you long to work out that you couldn't magically turn an SD source into high definition visuals and sound?

Williams025 said:
Anything above 480P on an SD disc is a simple case of pixel duplication (ie filling in the blanks) and faking.

Actually it changes the output size of your source so instead of the TV having to make a bad job of converting it to a native resolution, the hardware will do it on the fly, meaning a much better picture. So to you and I that means turning a 480p image upto a 1080p image meaning each pixel on the LCD is mapped - theres no spanning across multiple pixels thus a massively improved picture.

Of course this isn't HD in the true sense of the word, but it does mean that the image is outputted at HD resolution, thus it does change the resolution.

And to answer your question regarding the need for HD formats, well that comes down to disc capacity - why stick with 9GB of data when you can use a BD that will hold 50gb, no compression needed meaning perfect picture and sound.

However does that mean we should ignore and dismiss upscaling technology simply because YOU don't think it works well? Nope. Does it mean I should disregard my existing 100 odd SD-DVD's and buy them all on BD, despite an upscaler giving me much improved results? Nope.

Williams025 said:
Again I'll reference your link;

*Referring to what the upscaler actually does* :-

SSP (Statistical-Post-Proc.)
DeBlocking
DeRinging
Sharpen
Soften
ReQuantization
Auto-Luminance
Blurring
DeNoising

Thats pretty much proved my first post, all they do is clean up the image, they dont actually increase the resolution.

See above RE - Resolution change.

Yes any upscaler worth it's salt will post process the image before outputting it to enhance the PQ.

Williams025 said:
So tell me Hoff, the man who seems to know everything about everything, where do the extra pixels come from on your magic copy of Top Gun?

Why thank you!

Last edited:
^^^ erm, my point is that its not true HD which you just agreed on!

It has to 're-res' as otherwise you would see blocks in the image (otherwise known as "bit stealing"). As I said, it does that by pixel duplication in the blank spaces it would otherwise leave. Anyway, I find these images look too processed on most discs (Samsung HD950.)

Last edited:
R

rich[182]

Bit off topic, but is that what Phillips pixel plus technology is ? Just curious

SLK 350
^^^ erm, my point is that its not true HD which you just agreed on!

It has to 're-res' as otherwise you would see blocks in the image. As I said, it does that by pixel duplication in the blank spaces it would otherwise leave. Anyway, I find these images look too processed on most discs (Samsung HD950.)

Where did I (or anybody else for that matter) say it was true HD then? As nobody did say that, I think you've got on your anti-upscaling high horse too quickly my friend.

The point we were all making it no longer do we have to watch SD-DVD or PS2 games in crappy resolutions on our HDTV, we can watch them in HD resolutions - The end.

People were creaming about watching their old favourate DVDs in 1080p. I was trying to explain its not really 1080p as to not get peoples hopes up, to avoid dissapointment.

I dont like upscalers. You do. Good.

R

rich[182]

Yes, suppose technically it's not true 1080p but then again general consumers who claim they are watching their old DVD collection in 1080p are also the same people who have used SD DVD and CRT's with their £1.99 scart cable who have never even heard of a fully wired RGB scart etc, in the end they are just happy to go along with the latest buzzwords, namely 1080p

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
the ps2 and especially the ps1 games will look hideous in 1080p jaggy city! no AA at all..

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
that and the fact that the original ps3's used hardware for backwards compatibility, unlike the software in the recent models. Dont see how they gonna upscale ps2/1 games when it has no scaler chip.... if thats the case there is gonan be a lot of pissed of ps3 owners

The Beast MK4
Does this update allow you to play Pro Evo 6?

Ive been searching google for a game list to no avail......

Just downloading it now for a mate.

dk

911 GTS Cab
not been home to do this yet, anything good it does?

is the upscaling any good?

i bought pirates of the caribbean 1 and 2 yesterday before i left america, they are supposed to be demo quality disks.

will check them out tomorrow.

Citroen DS3 DSport
The upscaling is excellent, very impressed with the update. Media streaming is also greatly improved.

Clio 172 Mk2
for me one of the best things about the update is the fact blu-rays can now be played in 720p. god knows why they dont mention this as one of the main features of the update, its great you can finally do this. ps3 really is coming into its own with these firmware updates, just wish the games would start coming now

SLK 350
^Now this firmware's been released it's just more reason to either dig out old PS2 games from market stalls, or go buy some from the shops. Some of the games look awesome upscaled with texture smoothing on - FF XII for example!

Better than yours. C*nt.
Have to say, upscaling does look marginally better, but comparing Miami Vice HD-DVD to the SD content I have recorded it's another league...

57 Clio Campus Sport
anyone got the sharing between pc and ps3 working properly yet? mine seems to show a few of my pictures and thats it. Worked fine on my 360 thought