ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Public buying trend seems to show that they think Blu-ray is the way forward!

Sales data for HD-DVD and Blu-ray players and movies has been misconstrued lately by various outlets, with reports implying that HD-DVD sales have fallen at an amazing pace while Blu-ray sales have blasted through the roof.

The NPD Group attempted to quiet the storm of online scuttlebutt with the following statement:
"The facts are that during the week that is being singled out, both Blu-ray disc players and software were being given away for free with the purchase of 1080p TVs. It is also important to note that the instant rebate promotions that had previously netted Toshiba's players' MSRPs to $199 and $249 had actually ended on Jan. 5th -- causing an increase in HD DVD's MSRP back to $299 and $399 during that same week. Since Toshiba's retail price move on Jan. 13th to $149 / $199 -- Toshiba is seeing very positive sales trends at retail. This reinforces the fact that price is a significant driver of sales."
"Toshiba's HD DVD players represent a significant value to the consumer and the marketing campaign that just began is proving effective."

dk

911 GTS Cab
i don't doubt that the figures aren't totally accurate, i never believe statistics 100% and its a proven fact that 62% of statistics are made up!

but when you have a figure as high as 93%, even if this figure is inflated its still a MASSIVE figure and %.

i agree tbh with the amount of signatures the petition to save hd dvd got i dunno who to believe some one is telling porkies lol

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I still don't even know anyone who has any dvds in either format or a player.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I don't care either way TBH
neither do most people, but they do want one of them to win and sooner rather than later so that we can all move forward with that one format as at the moment everyone is losing out, people who are early adopters spend more money on both formats and other people won't buy until one is a clear winner so no-one is currently winning.

We just need something sorted really.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Im happy with my 720p apple TV HD rentals.

Who watches films more than once anyway?
$4.99 FTW!

Clio 200 Raider
if i didnt have a ps3 i wouldnt go out and buy a blu ray player dont think most people are as they seem to expensive? i bet most people play them on their ps3.

However looking at HD DVD players they seem to be getting even cheaper, (probably because they dont seem to be winning the battle at the mo) but theres one on play that was £180 cheapest id seen till last week now its £119 Bargain.

Then theres the xbox one that i ended up going for just because it was the cheapest, only £99 now and you get 5 movies free so kind of made sense.

Xbox marketing bigwig Jeff Bell says Microsoft has been talking to Blu-ray about the possibility of a partnership all along.

He was speaking about Warner Bros.'s recent decision to exclusively pick the Sony-championed disc format, and did not rule out the possibility MS will adopt it at some point in the future.

"We've been talking to Blu-ray all along because we have the best piece of software in the business, called HDi. It is the backbone that powers interactivity in HD-DVD and we have that available to potentially partner with others," Jeff Bell told 1UP.

"You never say never. I think we'd like to see how things evolve. Our commitment, however, to HD-DVD is profound and consistent, and we have done very, very well in term of our accessory sales."

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
you should set a poll for cs members to say which they have bluray or hd,
I'm with bluray, due to the ps2, and i prefer the name bluray rather than hddvd. i got about 15 bluray movies and they are gr8.

Revels Mum & Sister
I bought about 4 Blu Ray movies and 5 HD-DVD's then I realised to be honest I am a daft t**t spending £17 odd for ONE movie I might watch once or twice.

So I sold them, and the PS3 and the HD-DVD player gathers dust.

Mito Sportiva 135
I don't see how you can be for or against either - they are the same as ar as I can tell, one is juts more expensive than the other.

Mito Sportiva 135
I heard the capacity is now the same though (think HD DVDs have increased?) correct me if I am wrong though?

Region Free doesn't really bother me but I guess its a bonus though.

Clio F1 R27
Neither will win. Downloadable HD content is starting to become a reality and providers are working around the clock to deploy adsl2+ to facility faster access speeds.

Last edited:
  SLK 350
I don't see how you can be for or against either - they are the same as ar as I can tell, one is juts more expensive than the other.

Will someone be kind enough to explain why certain people keep moaning about BD being more expensive?

Media = Same price.

BD players = Less than £250.

I just don't get it...and please nobody mention "well walmart in the US had some on offer". The other point being HD-DVD players are cheap now due to lack of demand and retailers wanting to get rid before it's officially declared a dinosaur.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
both go up to triple layer now aswell. annoyingly i think hd-dvd might of had it just because of so much of those sort of articles floating around the place

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
OK today I decided to sell my Tosh EP-30 until things are sorted out once and for all, decided to do it now rather than have some redundant kit should Blu-Ray come out of this on top, until then I shall watch DVD's on my flaptop

dk

911 GTS Cab
OK today I decided to sell my Tosh EP-30 until things are sorted out once and for all, decided to do it now rather than have some redundant kit should Blu-Ray come out of this on top, until then I shall watch DVD's on my flaptop
what are you going to do with all your HD-DVD's?

I won't get rid of mine if bluray wins, i have some great movies on the format and will keep it for them.

Monaro VXR
Was on scan.co.uk earlier as I wanted a new DVD burner. Noticed they now have multiformat bluray writers for £170. Will playback HD DVD as well. They are getting cheaper quickly it seems.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
what are you going to do with all your HD-DVD's?

I won't get rid of mine if bluray wins, i have some great movies on the format and will keep it for them.

They went with the player, I only had the 7 free ones in any case