ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Punto GT Vrs Valver

Quote: Originally posted by ST HORNE on 19 February 2003

jonto my memory for certain info is fairly good.you had played squash at a local country club in redditch if i remember correctly.Yeah i bought the lupo but rejected it and had a refund from VW.had a 172 which the g/f has now and got myself a CTR. i hear james hanns is getting 300+ BHP out of his punto how possibly is he doin that???
Ahh, i remeber now. Think james hans is goin for 1600cc forged pistons and a big T4 sized turbo, should fly when its finished. Hes doin alot of the engine work himself. Whats more interesting is that Matt Friend is putting a 1372cc Punto GT engine in his cinq ! Can you imagine that when thats finished !

There are definitely some people on here who have had a Valver or Willy before a 172 - even some whove had a 172 and now a Willy!

I dont rate Evo, but they reckoned that the Willy handled better than the 172 in their mega hot hatch test where they crowned the Willy the best hot hatch ever. Seeing as the Willy was a special edition of the 16v, I cant see the Valver being far behind.

The problem with all this talk of handling is that its all so unquanitifable. You talk about speeds, acceleration timings and power all day long...but handling is not quantifiable. I shudder when I see people like Evo making a quantitative figue for handling (I think its called an Evo Performance Rating) where they take things like lap times and G-force into account. Im all for making things easy to understand, but I dont think you can turn it into numbers. I prefer some good old despcriptive text - that tells you what handling is like on the limit and how comfortable it is.

Revels Mum & Sister

That PUNTO is f**king lush. YES PLEASE. Nice slice of turbo power.

Was maybe thinking about selling the valver and buying one!!! Not many about though!!

Just another thing about the whole punto GT Vs 16V.

I had a 16v last year and my mate had a punto GT which has been quite highly tuned. Off the mark it was a bit quicker and then they were just about even up to about 110 mph, and then he edged ahead.

But it wasnt the most reliable car. One time i was in my old clio 1.2i and he was in the GT we hit a bit of national speed limit. I went in the right hand lane and he stayed in the left and booted it in second gear but his turbo hose blew and all he could do was watch me overtake him with all 60 of the clios bhp revving away.