ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Purging AC System

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
removing engine from my phase 1 172, no idea if theres any gas in the air con circuit but presuming there is whats the best practice to empty it prior to removing the lump?

any constructive advice, bar 'take it to a garage' or similar comments, much appreciated :)

thanks in advance

Ben

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Technically, F-gas reg's are pretty strict now, (environmental BS), however if the system had a leak, and was totally empty when you found it, oops....

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
and where could it accidentally,yet safely,get this leak? i presume its pressurised and nasty? no experience of ac as yet,all my previous cars have barely had power steering,lol!not really a mod con fan!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
so theres 2 nuts? both on upper pipework?

i am keeping car,swapping full lump then will regas the ac next summer!

cant be taken to garage as its at my parents and engines fubar

If you have no interest in keeping it, put a little hole by accident in the condenser... hammer, whack, leave, return later, done. lol!

You what?

Get it drained properly, a mate shouldn't charge for it as it can be reused when recharging another car.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
how do u expect me to do it properly?car is immobile so would have to get it transported to garage and back.that alone would cost more than the car stands me at!lol!

yes dave,172 ;-) buy my white wheels btw ;-) ;-)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
upto a £3k fine if you vent to atmosphere!

Chance of being caught in a domestic situation? Less than zero surely! That combined with the amount that is accidently let out in the atmosphere everyday, it really doesn't matter in terms on environmental issues if one tiny car ac system isn't bled correctly ;)

Flol, thats the type of thing i'd do ... if it weren't illegal of course.

:D I told you I'm an honorary member of failsport.

Condensers are cheap as chips anyways ;)

clio 182
fridge oil mite come out n stain engine bay its nasty stuff.work with it all the time id get it done properly.and its a 20k fine or prison sentence not sayin youl get caught lol

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I hack sawed through the pipe and fucked off outside for a smoke while mine emptied.

It was only the following day when a mate told me I was a moron and how dangerous the stuff is!!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
i've heard its nasty, but tbh cant be worse than what i work with everyday so no worries! and tbh for a bit of staining on the bay, think i might cope, tis only a cheap motor

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
40k fine and 5 years in prison for knowingly let that vent to atmosphere. Enjoy the showers when ur there

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
keeps going up and up, started as a 2k fine,now its 40k and prison, love the fact everyone knows what they are talking about, rofl

weird how we can vent all sorts to atmosphere at work, measure it to all sorts of EN standards and fill out a 'i'm sorry to the EA' and be fine

yet mr plod with his volvo will be able to measure what has come out of an AC system in a car in the middle of nowhere using......erm well what? approved methods for emissions monitoring?

BMW M5 & E36
Slacken til you hear it, walk away and let it do its stuff. If you're a bit keen and let it right off, keep your head up as its heavier than air! Doesnt taste great.

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
keeps going up and up, started as a 2k fine,now its 40k and prison, love the fact everyone knows what they are talking about, rofl
ive just done my a/c course on fri at volvo so im gonna say yes i do know what im on about:rasp:

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
ah but did they tell you the truth or scare monger you, thats what i want to know? and did they issue you with citizens arrest sampling equipment for rogue a/c gas venters ;-)