ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

pushing 172 to rev/fuel cut off, bad

my 172 has done about 8000kms so today i decided to do some 0-100 runs, this time pushing it to fuel cut off before changing in gears 1 and 2 (wasnt really paying attn to the tach). i was wondering if doing this every so often will hurt or damage the car? i was not really expecting cut off to come in that early, so was a bit shocked when it did. any comments appreciated :)

Nissan R35 GT-R

If you hit the limiter then you will have done a slower 0-100 run than if you would have changed up at a sensible point.

The rev limit is there to protect the engine, not to provide an indication that you should be in the next gear.

It will not damage your car by bouncing off the limiter, but its bad driving if you hit it all the time.

Is this the same for 16V too ? I dont do it all the time but occasionally when a bit too eager to gain a bit more edge the power just dies, would I be damaging anything ? I know the 172 is a bit more sophisticated than a valver !? I hit the limiter at the weekend and the car has been a bit lumpy since [or Im para !?!]

Cheers.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

the rev limiter works by cutting the supply of fuel to the engine for a very short period of time..

As long as the engine is fully warmed up and it isnt a prolonged period of time i dont think you will be doing any real harm, ofcourse higher revs will mean a bit more wear and tear, but you didnt buy the car to drive at 5 mph..

As Frosty said you will not be gaining any speed etc one the engine has gone past optimum pull anyway. The Rev limiter will come in shortly after but you are better off changing around 6500rpm or as soon as you hear the engine change pitch