ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Put slick 50 in the 172

Volvo S60 T5

I put some slick 50 with P.T.F.E (Teflon) in my motor the other day, being sceptical about that sort of stuff working, thought I would give it a go.

It works, Im shocked:eek:. The car is much better, less engine noise, flat spot I had in the mornings has gone, and it pulls much better now, sounds much better when you rag the engine now no harsh sounds.

Give it a go.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Ive read loads of stuff against additives like this, so I wont be doing it on mine...

A good quality oil, changed at regular intervals is more than good enough!

However, would be tempted to use some in the gearbox...

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

ZX1 is the only stuff to add to oil if you must. Also PTFE can block your oil filter.

There are a few issues with it, but if you follow the rules on the back of the bottle you should have not problems, Ive been using slick 50 for the last 8 years after my sump plug poped out at just above the legal speed limit and I trashed 2 out of the 6 pots on a Sierra 4x4 and never had a problem.

Its all in the mind if you ask me, the 172 is a too newer car to benefit from additives like slick. How can a product like this iron out a flatspot?

@mike172sport Get rid of the Slick50 stuff its a engine killer just like ALL additives. We did some testing and in the end they are all bad. better running engines is something whats in your head. The use of good dull synthetic oil is a must for nice running engines. Just put in some 5W50 every 7000 Mls and you are fine. This is the best way to thread the engine. If otherwise I would suggest so.....

Im sorry but good luck anyways...cheers

Volvo S60 T5

Thanks all, Ile change the oil and filter in the morning, Thought I would give it a go with the slick as I had one left over from stock. Been in for a few days hopefully not to long to get rid of it.
As to the flatspot, it definately has not been apparant in the mornings the last few days, was really noticable from cold, have checked the car out on the Renault clip no faults stored and parameters all ok.
Maybe a fluke that it has rectified itself the last few days.

Thanks all;)

That flat spot you feel from cold could be you engine management regulating the cold start emissions which all new cars have to comply with. The engine is supplied with a funny mixture untill the cat has warmed up enough to clean out those nasty gasses. It makes the engine feel a bit lumpy for the first mile or two. Its quite noticable at low revs and feels like the engine is being choked to death, you may feel little surges as the ECU changes the settings.

No point, all oils already have EPAs that work better than the solid suspension PTFE.

PTFE aint bad, just crap in this method of use, it needs to be sintered/alloyed to bearing sufaces.

id rather use Asda oil and change it every 4k miles than use any additive. Personal opinion obviously, much like using cheaper petrol. Tried the others and it makes not a jot of difference.

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 03 December 2003

Yeah agreed..its for old war horses..use Optimax and change oil as you should and the car will be fine.

-Rob

rob........dont take this the wrong way...i aint puttin yer down fella...im just curious.......how can you say slick 50 is no good & then say optimax is good ?? :confused:

p.s i think they are both big hype & advertising crap....esp optimax.....(yes i have tried optimax & the BP rubbish just coz im curious ;))

wouldnt touch slick 50 myself, like someone already said that gunk is for old smokers that have been round the clock and nothing else IMO

Quote: Originally posted by 172loony on 04 December 2003

like someone already said that gunk is for old smokers that have been round the clock and nothing else IMO
is that why your taking slick 50 twice a day simon !!!!;)

Skoda Fabia vRS

Quote: Originally posted by Fatherted on 04 December 2003

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 03 December 2003

Yeah agreed..its for old war horses..use Optimax and change oil as you should and the car will be fine.

-Rob

rob........dont take this the wrong way...i aint puttin yer down fella...im just curious.......how can you say slick 50 is no good & then say optimax is good ?? :confused:

p.s i think they are both big hype & advertising crap....esp optimax.....(yes i have tried optimax & the BP rubbish just coz im curious ;))
dont wanna get side tracked but Optimax isnt marketing hype, if you had read the issue of Evo with the tests you would have seen the pics of the engines before and after, it cleaned em up quite well

Quote: Originally posted by Fatherted on 04 December 2003

Quote: Originally posted by 172loony on 04 December 2003

like someone already said that gunk is for old smokers that have been round the clock and nothing else IMO
is that why your taking slick 50 twice a day simon !!!!;)

yeah i admit it im over the hill, alomst 25 now mate........just remind me how old you are again ? ;)

Elise/VX220/R26

Optimax is 98% marketing. It makes no difference to how fast your car goes. My 1/4 mile times at york were the same on asda unleaded as they were on optimax. Result is I only ever fill up at asda now.

Im not dissing folk who use mobil 1 and optimax. Its nice to "feel" like yout looking after your car even if in reality it making no physical different to the life or performance.

You should notice some difference when using optimax... What I noticed was I get another 5mph flat out speed along the same bit of motorway....

The time you really notice it is when you get your car tuned to run on 97 ron and above as most cars are set from factory to run on real sh!te petrol...

clio 20v

i always use super unleaded or optimax

sh*te petrol isnt good for ur engine, a running problem with my dads car was diagnosed to running it on supermarket petrol since then i been wary bout where i fill up

adi

in my opinion , bp ult and optimax do make a difference. on my prev MOT last year. (car wasnt mine then) the emmisions were fine. this time around i put some optimax in just to be sure and the emmisions hardly registered on there testing equipment. surely this means that my engine is more efficient on the better fuel?? i have also changed to a panel filter and added slick 50 (oops) since then which could have made a difference.

basically the car seems a lot smoother on the better fuel. always ran a bit lumpy on bogo unleded.

just my 2p. :D

so it has an additive to remove tarnishing from your engine .......most petrols do nowdays....even tesco black market !

all in the mind people.....dont belive everything you read in magazines !

there was an oil company in eldene (not there now) that bought 5 golfs & ran each one on a particular oil & fuel, every 5000 miles the engines were R/R tested & stripped down to see what effects the oil/fuel had on wear/tear/performance etc !! they noticed that some oils worked better than others (some were cheap makes) but they couldnt find any difference in the types of fuel used

(ok so optimax wasnt around when they done these tests, but how many times has shell claimed their petrol is far superiour to anyone elses?)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Whats really worrying is the sh*t those fuels produce.

Massive amounts of paladium, strontium and other radioactive stuff.

Those additives are carcenogenics and they can cause breathing disorders.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

If you wanna talk about pollution.. diesels are the worst offenders, get rid of them and pollution would go down. Did you know that the average double decker passenger bus puts out the same emissions are 120 good condition cars ?

So by my calculations at 4-5 people a car that give yous total capacity of ~ 500 people. can you fit 500 people on a bus ? no ? the moral of the story is junk the buses, tear up the greenways and buy everyone cars ;)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 08 December 2003

If you wanna talk about pollution.. diesels are the worst offenders, get rid of them and pollution would go down. Did you know that the average double decker passenger bus puts out the same emissions are 120 good condition cars ?

So by my calculations at 4-5 people a car that give yous total capacity of ~ 500 people. can you fit 500 people on a bus ? no ? the moral of the story is junk the buses, tear up the greenways and buy everyone cars ;)
But they are only the emmisions your told about. hydrocarbons and co2 arent as bad as radioactive rubbish

what would you rather breathe co2 and soot or radioactive materials

Hong Kong has recently banned diesels for taxis and light good vehicles, and only private cars which meet stringent emissons are allowed. not that anybody will buy a diesel private car in HK.

In the 3 years or so that diesel has left the streets, the pollution has dropped massively and there is no longer a haze in the sky. It REALLY IS diesel which slugs the crap out.