ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quaife / Gripper Diff

Evo 5 RS
Re: Wanted: Quaife / Gripper Diff

I spoke to Quaife not long ago as they're literally 2 minutes from me,

The unit is 895 + VAT and they charge £200+VAT to fit the unit to the gearbox.. (Random bit of inf for you)

££££££

SG9 Forester STi

I also looked into a Quaife....stupidly expensive :(

182cup & 172 racecar

I believe a Quaife is not that suitable for racing though.I spent alot of time at the weekend looking into it all.
Minefield.

lift number 1 @ btm

I spoke to Quaife not long ago as they're literally 2 minutes from me,

The unit is 895 + VAT and they charge £200+VAT to fit the unit to the gearbox.. (Random bit of inf for you)

££££££

That's gone up! I'm sure mine was around £700.

I believe a Quaife is not that suitable for racing though.I spent alot of time at the weekend looking into it all.
Minefield.

Why is that Tony, out of interest?

SG9 Forester STi

That's gone up! I'm sure mine was around £700. Why is that Tony, out of interest?

Also interested in what you found out Tony :)

They are actually quite a fair bit cheaper for the 197.

Why is that Tony, out of interest?

I'd assume because the quaife is a torque sensing, worm-gear diff, and the gripper is a proper clutch type diff. The quaife's can't transfer the torque if one wheel loses all traction.

182cup & 172 racecar

I'd assume because the quaife is a torque sensing, worm-gear diff, and the gripper is a proper clutch type diff. The quaife's can't transfer the torque if one wheel loses all traction.

This,from what I could work out,gave me a headache on Sunday reading all that jazz.Good thing about Quaife is that it's fit and forget,Gripper needs attention every so often.

I've picked up a quaife direct from them for my car. I had a fairly lengthy discussion with Matt Simmons on its application for motorsport and he assured me it's smooth, constant operation is ideal for circuit based racing. Fit and forget feature / lifetime warantee is always handy. My understanding it that it does transfer torque away from the wheel that has lost traction, constantly?

Last edited:

The quaife's can't transfer the torque if one wheel loses all traction.

I didn't read that bit properly. My understanding is that if one wheel experiences zero traction (for example: Ice) the geared diff cannot counter that - as you rightly suggest.

182cup & 172 racecar

You see,thats why it all gets a bit messy and confusing.What did Matt have to say then Tom?

That for circuit work in a FWD car the quaife (http://www.quaife.co.uk/shop/products/qdf6m-0) is ideal as it's operation is very smooth (no snatch or full lock). Due to the fact that you rarely experience sudden and full loose of traction (ice under one wheel for example) its well suited to tarmac based activities as it works constantly to eliminate corner exit lack of traction. For me the maintenance free design is ideal too! Lastly if you supply quaife with a crownwheel they will machine it to fit FOC which is a nice add on service.

Although I have seen pictures of your race car lapping in the snow - so on second thoughts - it may not suit your needs ;)

Golf GTD Mk7

Howser, I noticed that K-Tec sell the unit for 1074, which is 895+VAT also

I'm sure Ktec were charging £1700 fitted for this :eek:. Not sure if the quaife fitting cost includes removal and refitting of the box.

So if a quafe diff is £895 + Vat how much is a gripper?

From memory, the GB ones were around £900 with adjusted crown wheel.

So are we;)

I thought it was you and Jay that bought Russ's box off him.

Gripper should be better than quaife from track. Quaife requires less maintenance, so is more suited to road card, whereas the gripper will need regular oil changes and probably a sooner rebuild. I believe the gripper moves more power to the wheel with the most traction compared to the quaife also.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
The Quaife would be the only one for me, my cars coming up to 80k now so thinking it may need a clutch in the future so am looking to get a second hand box to send to agency transmissions along with the diff, and stick a stronger clutch it when fitted. The prospect of having to remove the box to service the gripper is a no no for me

lift number 1 @ btm

Howser, I noticed that K-Tec sell the unit for 1074, which is 895+VAT also

It was a couple of years ago I bought mine, I'm curious now so I'll try to dig out the invoice and see.

That all makes sense about the drive, I always thought a quaife was fine for circut work but if you were rallying you needed a plate diff.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

very interesting thread this,
my colleague who races his westfield has just fitted a gripper to that so i we have been talking about them alot

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
I'd ideally want the opportunity to drive a Clio with the LSD before I stumped up, I expected it to be around 1k, but in reality I'm looking at 1.6 with fitting and a clutch :(

Prob not for me now I have looked in to it

Unless your running a silly amount of camber or stupid power (over 300bhp) not really a need dave i'd say. I run 3 degrees of neg camber on the front and around 220bhp per tonne and never had a problem with traction loss on track.

Just spend them pennies on trackdays! ;)

Golf GTD Mk7

Unless your running a silly amount of camber or stupid power (over 300bhp) not really a need dave i'd say. I run 3 degrees of neg camber on the front and around 220bhp per tonne and never had a problem with traction loss on track.

It's not about that, it's more about having the ability to put your foot down more in the corners. It would be noticably different. Unless you were competing, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Renault Clio Super 1600

I have a Gripper Dog Box and Plate LSD in my Rallycross car. If you still havn't decided in a few weeks when its back toegether your welcome to come and have a drive. The box is at Gripper at the mo having the ratios changed. If you see the video you can see they are pretty long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTHkDe2mVQ0

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Quaife are as said 895 +vat but will machine crownwheel to fit onto it free but all this needs stripping and refitting to box so another £350-£400 labour depending if you get the box rebuilt.
Downside is that you are stuck with renault ratios for the final drive.

gripper is £850 +vat and the crown wheel need machining but not sure if this was free or not but they will rebuild it into your box for £200 + vat the big bonus is that they have different c/w ratios to choose from but at £450 + vat its quite expensive.

They both have their own merits so you need to make up your own minds as to which is best.........let me know if you do lol

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

You use R888's though remember,!

I dunno, having driven an itb'd 106 gti with a quaife LSD & dog box (rallye ratios - 175bhp, & geared for 115mph. :eek:), id spend money on proper transmission before cams, itb's, superchargers or pretty much anything else!!

Depends on the application though, a track car should be fun, a race car should be quick.

I would imagine that a proper sequential box & diff would make a bigger difference to lap times in a race car than an extra 40bhp with the standard box/diff.

RS RIP

You're playing it safe on track, knowing when to hit throttle not get the inner wheel to spin. This is not the way to go FAST

(well it is, unless you have better grip: a Quaife)

182cup & 172 racecar

I know what you are saying Nick,but when you are racing, you cannot always wait for the right moment to put the power down.Plus your not always on the right line etc.

I know what you are saying Nick,but when you are racing, you cannot always wait for the right moment to put the power down.Plus your not always on the right line etc.

No I totally agree with you Tony in terms of racing, i'm sure it would make a huge difference.

However there seems to be a few idiots on here who clearly didnt read my post fully. I was refering to Dave who created this thread, who is not racing and will just be using his car on road/track so in my opinion its not worth it.

On a race car its worth it, however on a trackcar unless you have an unlimited amount of money its not worth it in my opinion. Just get some grippier tyres.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
I knew what u were saying nick. To be honest the cost alone is too much for me to justify

182cup & 172 racecar

Sorry Nick,I must be one of those idiots:eek:,but you are right and this is what I have always said in many threads before,as with like 4 pots,not needed.

Pub talk, thats it.

Nah Tony I didnt mean to cause you offense as you know a darn sight more than me! Just think it's the others in this thread who look at what one person says and agree with them to make them look big/clever when they havent read what I said properly.

But nevermind!

p.s. Tony - When you getting a diff then? ;)

SG9 Forester STi

As Nick said Tony - when you getting one lol?

My reasoning for wanting one was because I like to attend the drag racing days throughout the summer. Now I know it's no 500bhp drag car but it's really good fun and the last few i've done the car has held it's own.

The diff would really give me the start I needed but for over 1k? I'd rather do an accidental burnout lol.

182cup & 172 racecar

We are saving the pennies like mad atm.

Nick,no offence taken,just saying I didn't read it properly.