ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Question about Locking Wheel Bolts

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
Hey All,

I purchased some 16" Oz ultraleggeras off a former member on here and he gave me the set of McGard locking nuts he had for them without packaging etc (just the bolts and the key).

Anyway after putting them on it seems I cant get them off not as the key is trashed.

McGard in Germany will send a replacement but as I don't have the card with the code on they want a copy of my V5 and my driving licence which apparently tells them I own the vehicle.

my V5 is buried in my house somewhere and to be honest I need to get the wheels off sooner rather than later (and waiting for delviery from Germany)

I've looked in ahlfrauds and the key looks identical on what they stock, however I have no idea what size bolt I need i.e. thread and bolt length. I've checked several sources but they are saying different things.

Can anyone guide me to what I need? They are normally refered to as M14 x 1.5, not sure what the 1.5 means but there are different lengths of M14 x 1.5 ?!?

Once I know I will buy from halfrauds, if the key doesnt work I'll just take them back.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Not sure if it'll help but have you tried tightening all the other bolts up first, then undoing the locking nut before any of the others...

a burnt one
Take off one of the non-locking ones and you will find the thread length from that, the M14 x 1.5 refers to the pitch of the thread.

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
Am I needing M12 or M14 for instance?

Yep I have tried removing by tightening the others as much as I can.

Yes you can get them removed by finding a garage that will do it, this typically involved drilling out, or welding something to the offending locking nut - either way destroying it. Neither are free so it works out better IMO to just get a new set or order a replacement key.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Take a wheel nut out.... go into halfords.... pick a set which look the same (Length/Thickness/thread).... done?

...IMO to just get a new set or order a replacement key.

Well yeah, but a replacement set means having the old ones extracted anyway. If you could find someone on here with the tools and knowledge, that would save you the bother of some random bloke at the tyre shop sucking through his teeth and pretending it's a massive job.

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
Well yeah, but a replacement set means having the old ones extracted anyway. If you could find someone on here with the tools and knowledge, that would save you the bother of some random bloke at the tyre shop sucking through his teeth and pretending it's a massive job.

Not if I get a set with the same key, and the ones in halfords looks the same.

I'd rather not just buy one which looked the same, I rather know what I should be getting.

...I think there was about 13 different McGard sizes for locking wheel nuts so why guess?