ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Question for the guys that race - slick tyres & suspension question

Cup Turbo, Flamer
The last track day I did was my first outing on slicks, soooo much more grip and loved it. However, I now think my suspension isn't up to it.

I'm currently running 400lb front and 450lb rear spring rates, this seemed to work really well with R888s and track tyres, but I'm sure the slicks were overheating due to the car leaning alot more due to the enhanced grip, is there logic in this or am I totally wrong?

My thinking is, to get the best out of them I need to get harder spring to cope with the increased grip levels.

Can someone intelligent help?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
What were you doing with the pressures ?

Were only the fronts overheating, or the rears too ? You say you were sure, but you didn't know for sure ?! What was going on...

Lotus Elise
What slicks are they? Slicks life span is not measured on 'tread' or how much rubber is on them. Its measured by how many heat cycles they have done. Most slicks give up the ghost after about 6 heat cycles. Buying second hand slick is silly imo.

Stiffer suspension is required with slicks to get them up to temp, are you sure you got them up to temp because they are lethal when cold and take some rather aggressive techniques to get them nice and hot and sticky.

It can take a few seasons to really understand how slick tyres work and how to extract the best out of them.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I got them from a mate who had them on his race mini, and as he changed series and could no longer use slicks, the set I got had only done one qualy session, so does that count as one heat cycle?!

I used the same pressures as they used on the mini as well, around 22psi cold and I’m sure he said that hot, they shouldn’t go above 26-27 (on the mini), but can’t be sure now. When I tested mine after a good few laps they were nearing 30 -32psi, so thought they we too hot?

I’m sure they’re Michelin S9B’s, but I’ll double check later. I found out how lethal they were on the first few laps, didn’t catch me out fully, but a few slides made my a55 clench.

How can you be sure they are at optimum temperature?

Cheers for the help – just wanting to get the best I can out of them as they are totally different to road/track tyres.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Pressure, temp and volume are all related in a closed environment like a tyre.

If they're too high, drop a couple of psi out when you stop. ;)

Cup Turbo, Flamer
That's what I did, dropped about 5psi out, but then I wasn't sure if that's too low, sounds like trial and error to me!

182cup & 172 racecar
Have you got a tyre temp gauge?

A mini is lighter than a Clio and so much more to think about.

Stick with 888's or similar,slicks are a world away from anything else, and need more than just chucking them on and off you go.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Maybe I should have said a BMW mini, cant be that much lighter can it?

Nah I'll stick to slicks cheers, much more fun, which is what's its all about really

Golf GTD Mk7
Maybe I should have said a BMW mini, cant be that much lighter can it?

Nah I'll stick to slicks cheers, much more fun, which is what's its all about really

Why ask then :s I wouldn't say it makes it more or less fun in a Clio tbh.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I wasn't being arsey lol

Personally, I had more fun with slicks than I did with 888's, about a second quicker round brands too, and I'm no pro, far from it!

Anyway, back the the originally point, from the pics I had a lot more lean in corners with slicks, harder springs to counteract?