ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Questions about the 172 ph1

Hi there.

I have been considering a new car and like the look of the 172 phase one. I have been driving about 8 months now in which time i've had a golf mk2 16v and currently own a polo g40 (1300cc supercharged for those who don't know).
The polo is great fun because its fast and no one knows what it is, but its a bit of a money pit and doing 300+ miles a week i'm thinking about getting something newer. Its also not the easiest car to drive at times, especially in the wet. So hopefully you can help me with a few questions.

What sort of money do low milage ones go for? I've seen them for about £4,700 + for ones around 30,000 miles.
Are the engines good for high milage? How long on average do they last before things like the HG goes?
I would do the service work myself but do they have long intervals for things like the cambelt?
I would probably like the idea of a cup. Are they harder to find? Is there much point buying a cup over a normal one?
How tuneable are the engines and how does the car stack up agaisnt others of similar class? For example an ibiza cupra.

I hope you can help me out a bit :)

Cheers,
Dan.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Hi there.

I have been considering a new car and like the look of the 172 phase one. I have been driving about 8 months now in which time i've had a golf mk2 16v and currently own a polo g40 (1300cc supercharged for those who don't know).
The polo is great fun because its fast and no one knows what it is, but its a bit of a money pit and doing 300+ miles a week i'm thinking about getting something newer. Its also not the easiest car to drive at times, especially in the wet. So hopefully you can help me with a few questions.

What sort of money do low milage ones go for? I've seen them for about £4,700 + for ones around 30,000 miles.
Are the engines good for high milage? How long on average do they last before things like the HG goes?
I would do the service work myself but do they have long intervals for things like the cambelt?
I would probably like the idea of a cup. Are they harder to find? Is there much point buying a cup over a normal one?
How tuneable are the engines and how does the car stack up agaisnt others of similar class? For example an ibiza cupra.

I hope you can help me out a bit :)

Cheers,
Dan.

howdy :)

for a decent phase 1 172, you will be looking to pay anything from 4k onwards imo, you can still get early cars with low milage. The sport engines seem very good on high milage, headgasket failiure seem very few and far between, never heard of one on here tbh. My car has done 62k, and gets a hard life, and is in top nick. Just keep the oil changed every 5-6k and they will see you right. Cambelts by the book should be done @72k, or every 5yrs, but i'd personally get it done sooner. Only real thing on these engines is to get the AUX belt changed @ 36k, (doesnt say this in the book) as there has been some known cases of them failing and taking out the cambelt!!!! Cups are the fastest of all the renault sports on paper. They loose leather, abs, xenons (on the phase2 172/182 only, not phase 1) aircon etc. They are approx 80kgs lighter than the phase 2 172's The engines are tbh, expensive to extract power out of. With an ibiza turbo, standard against standard the clio will win evertime, revo'd will be a different matter though. The clio is set up better mind, and are a hoot to drive, best to try one!!. Oh and love the g40's real sleepers :evil:

gaz

Last edited:
  Lots of Alfas
Dont be put off by high milers, Ive just brought a 60k miler thats just had its cambelt change and a new gearbox. Ive heard the engines dont loosen up until about 60k, Ive seen them for as cheap as £3600 on trader.

Thanks very much for that.

The clio really appeals because it seems nicely balanced out of the box like my old golf. The ibiza is a bit of a shopping trolly like my polo. Great in a straight line but a bit of a handful when it comes to putting power down in the twisties.
The engine figures seem quite torquey, does anyone have a dyno graph? Does it pick up quite well at low revs?
When i've had a pop at a ph2 172 in my polo i can usually get a car length and a bit on them up to 80 or so. So asuming thats a FF one the 172 ph1 would be pretty much the same.

Are the gearboxes a common problem? How long do clutches and shocks last on them?

Hope you don't mind all the questions.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Thanks very much for that.

The clio really appeals because it seems nicely balanced out of the box like my old golf. The ibiza is a bit of a shopping trolly like my polo. Great in a straight line but a bit of a handful when it comes to putting power down in the twisties.
The engine figures seem quite torquey, does anyone have a dyno graph? Does it pick up quite well at low revs?
When i've had a pop at a ph2 172 in my polo i can usually get a car length and a bit on them up to 80 or so. So asuming thats a FF one the 172 ph1 would be pretty much the same.

Are the gearboxes a common problem? How long do clutches and shocks last on them?

Hope you don't mind all the questions.

Gearbox went bang on my one at 62k and was ££££££££££££ to get it fixed still paying for it now :mad: :dapprove: :mad:

the Mk2 Ph1's a pretty good car tbh, I've just brought mine back from GDI as Andy was messing with the map (bit of a perfectionist!) and my engines had a pretty hard life to say the least and is now under the added stress of throttle bodies and being reved to 7600rpm. Andy did a compression test and in 63k and 6 years old it should have been showing as 200 on his meter thing for a brand new engine, mine were around 195, so pretty much no wear in 6 years of being driven pretty damn hard. The engines are TOUGH mate, its the bits around them, annoying s**t like hoses, alternators etc etc that seem to go. The engine will out last the car and shell though IMO.

audi a6 3.0tdi
i got a y plate, one owner, fsh and 43000 miles for £5300 at a dealer. i love it. not much can touch it on the roads and it doesn't really stand out that much which is good.

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
i got my mk1 172 back in january this year, got it for 5200 with frsh,mot,tax with only 23,000 miles on the clock, feels like new the thing. problems iv got with it so far(common) jockey wheel from the drive belt(starting whining)window relugator and i broken coil spring, its never left me by the side of the road so far 'touch wood' just make sure it has its cambelt changed if not be ready to pay anything from 350-700.

i must still have the lowest mileage mk1 172 :D at 26500.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
i got my mk1 172 back in january this year, got it for 5200 with frsh,mot,tax with only 23,000 miles on the clock, feels like new the thing. problems iv got with it so far(common) jockey wheel from the drive belt(starting whining)window relugator and i broken coil spring, its never left me by the side of the road so far 'touch wood' just make sure it has its cambelt changed if not be ready to pay anything from 350-700.

i must still have the lowest mileage mk1 172 :D at 26500.

Spooky mine had all those things go in the last year too :p

They do seem to have quite a few things go wrong for such low milage and age. But i'm sure it will still be less of a worry than my polo. I have to spend £350 every 20,000 miles for a charger rebuild anyway so i don't mind spending a bit. I like fiddling with engines and stuff.

Is the cam belt change very hard to do? Seeing as its so expensive? Ive done a cambelt before so have a bit of experience.

Do many people go for aftermarket shocks and springs? Or isnt there much improvement?

Also how are they for insurance? Can't seem to get any online quotes and most places are shut sunday.

Once again thanks for the responses, very helpful.

Lots of Alfas
As for the suspension most people upgrade it with at least eikbach (sp) springs, the standard ride height is a little too high for most peoples liking. Theres lots of options with suspension kits, springs and coilovers. Ive just insured mine and had no probs with insurance (im 22 with 2ncb). The guy that changed the gearbox on mine was charged £1400 by Renault and £450 for the belts. As for the engine outlasting the shell, the shells themselves are very strong and theres no need to worry about rust etc.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
think gearboxes are a reflection on how much mechanical sympathy the owners show it. I've had mine sice 30k, now its on 62 (owned 2yrs) and is fine, nothing to worry about imo
dont think cambelts are that hard to do, its just all the aircon stuff in the way!!! Cups dont have this problem though ;)

BMW M135i
With relation to the gearbox, they just don't like fast hard shifts. If you constantly rag it around changing gear like the fast and the furious don't expect it to last too long.
Just show it some sympathy and it should be ok.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
^^well said.

boxes aren't the best. just be a bit gentle with it, it'll save you buying new engine mounts monthly too.

i broke a mount caning it, the engine moved that much that the manifold smacked the subframe and split it. not good.

lol, thats pretty bad. Arn't there any uprated jobbies?

I don't usually trash cars through the gears, sometimes 1st to 2nd might be a bit quick i guess. Changing the oil regularly would help a bit maybe?

Went to look at one in a garage today. Just looking round its got me quite excited. Really like the shape and the interior looks pretty nice compared to my other older cars. Just need to drive one really to make sure i like the way the power is delivered. I doubt it will be as exciting as my G40 which starts at about 140lb/ft torque at 2000rpm but then thats why im looking at one of these. The power can't be used in first or any gear in the wet.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
try one, get one warmed up, they have a nice 'kick' around 5k.... get a 172 down some b roads and imo the g will be forgotten about

:) Kick at 5k eh? What do they rev up to?

Been watching some videos of them on the track and they do look impressive.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
:) Kick at 5k eh? What do they rev up to?

Been watching some videos of them on the track and they do look impressive.

around 7k :cool: Remember the power on these is higher up the scale than the g, i had a punto turbo before, and it took me ages to get used to the revvy nature of the engine.

serious mr bogner ? :eek: love stuff like that! All this in the ph1 yeah?

Gaz sounds pretty good. I had a golf 16v which id take up to about 7 so shouldnt take me too long to get used to it :) Is the power progressive though? My golf was crap under about 4000rpm.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
yup, and they love it! They need to be warm though as they have a limiter that cuts in @ 6k if the oils cold.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
also if looking at a phase 1 172, some came with an alloy bonnet.....

Ah thats great :D

So i will keep a look out for ones with those pedals and bonnet. How can i tell if its alloy? Obviously it will be lighter but i have nothing to compare it to.

I always let a car warm for 10 to 15 minutes before driving it hard. Well i am going to have a real good think about this. Need to sort out my polo with a new clutch before i can shift it.

Lots of Alfas
I think it was the very early silver ones that had alloy bonnets, you can tell as they are very light and non-magnetic, Im sure they all had the alloy pedals. Look out for the 172mk1 exclusive they were in a 1 off green had full leather seats and had bbs wheels, only 172 made.

Well doesn't look like i will be getting one. Best quote i've had is £3000 fully comp. Even with a theoretical 1ncb.
My current insurers won't tell me my renewal quote yet on that car as its not within 25 days. They want an additional £280 for the final month and a bit :eek:

Three grand?

I pay less than £500 with mods and I'm 26.
Best come back when your old enough son ;)

lol. But i don't want to wait 5 years.

Can't understand the crazy prices. Basically there is no point me having my own insurance and ncb cause its made no difference at all! I've literally rung everyone now. Real downer.