ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick 98Ron query

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
Hi all,

Been searching the forum about the fastchip/rstuner 98Ron map and everyone seems happy with it. My question is does it put greater strain on the engine/increase engine wear or does it just make it run like it should?

Cheers

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
It just makes it run better and smooths out the power delivery,
so it has a bit more grunt lower down and the 5k kick isn't so noticeable.

CursedTitanium 182FF
With the increased rev limit, the only strain would come from regularly hitting that limit. IIRC Henk always says to watch the fuel trim values with the new map, just in case it is running to lean/rich.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
I run super unleaded anyway so that shouldn't be too much of an issue?

In terms of performance there's no real trade off then? The extra torque lower down isn't generated by sacrificing top end horses?

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
Not looking for a massive power gain, just interested in the way it changes the car, and based what I've read I think I'd be wise to avoid ktec maps. If the fastchip makes it smoother and more driveable, that's ideal.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I put my map back to standard once, felt like the car was broken,
the 98Ron Fatschip map brings the car alive, best mod on my 172.

I've been using it for years, my engine's perfect.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
That's class. Stupid question of the night... I'm guessing it'll have much the same effect on a 182? Would I be obliged to mention it to my insurers?

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, all mods must be declared,
although i've found modified car insurers to be cheaper than a standard car with Churchill and the like.

Brentacere's given me the cheapest insurance i've ever had,
and my car's got a list of mods as long as your arm.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
Looks like I might have to stop umming and ahhing and just get one. I know it'll help massively with diagnostics too.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
I have one that has come through the post today :)

I will post my thoughts but I got it for the fault code as my car is playing up at the moment .

Herd nothing but good things so should be good .

Alan

Looks like I might have to stop umming and ahhing and just get one. I know it'll help massively with diagnostics too.

I need to get involves with the RST. 3 years on CS and I haven't touched one, but I've heard nothing but good things.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Still going to see how it is as from what I have read it does not up the power or torque by anything much but everyone loves it :)

I need to get involves with the RST. 3 years on CS and I haven't touched one, but I've heard nothing but good things.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na

Same here. Must save up first though. Holiday is priority at the minute :)

I've heard nothing but good things too. And I've heard henk is helpful if there's any problems

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
A good generic map that add's a tiny bit of power, always used them on my cars due to not having cams etc fitted, otherwise I would of had a less generic map ofc. Would happily use them again if I owned another RS.

172 Cup
I have the old style RSTuner that iv just used to map my 172 Cup, made a big difference! If anyone wants to buy it off me you can have it for £80 posted. PM me :)

I will be putting it in the for sale section when i finally get round to it.

ph2 172
I bought my RSTuner a couple of weeks ago and need to get around to getting it sorted now i've read even more good comments on it.

ph2 172
I just been through the RS Tuner guide and want to get this done very soon. One question i have (atm) When i plug the tuner in and do the screen shot and send it off with my order, it then says to switch off unplug and go to bed. (Not gonna say the stupid bit in there but someone will i'm sure.) It says Henk normally gets back to you within 24hrs or so. I want to know if the car is ok to use untill i get the email through. What i'm saying is i have not done anything to the car or ecu at this point so will not affect anything? Am i right?

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
If all you did was plug it in and take a screen shot,
​then I can't see why you couldn't drive it, it's still got the standard map on there.

I just been through the RS Tuner guide and want to get this done very soon. One question i have (atm) When i plug the tuner in and do the screen shot and send it off with my order, it then says to switch off unplug and go to bed. (Not gonna say the stupid bit in there but someone will i'm sure.) It says Henk normally gets back to you within 24hrs or so. I want to know if the car is ok to use untill i get the email through. What i'm saying is i have not done anything to the car or ecu at this point so will not affect anything? Am i right?

Perfectly fine to use the car once you have taken the screenshot etc.