ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick power to battery cable guide

This appears too come up on the forum quite a bit. So I have tried to devise a simple guide with a few photos to help explain.

Power Cable to Battery Guide 98 Onwards

Locate the bonnet release cable grommet in the foot well on the passenger side of your car.

It will look like the picture below; if you can’t fit it then give up now because you’re too stupid to even start this simple task J

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1108076154__IMG_2295.jpg

You heed to make a hole through this grommet without piecing any of the other cables. Past experiences suggest that a wire coat hanger is the best tool to use but a screw driver will also do the job.

You now need to locate this grommet from the engine bay. The first step is removing the coolant reservoir (circled below). There are 2 bolts, undo them and remove them without dropping them!!

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1108034014__IMG_2294.jpg

Removing this should give you the freedom to get behind the sound proofing.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1108076373__IMG_2296.jpg

Your going to need to force your hand behind this.... so dont be sunch a girl!! Unless you are a girl in which case ask your bloke to do it :) Its worth a few scratched up the arm

The grommet is approx 1ft across to the right 15 inches down.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1108076519__IMG_2297.jpg

Your need to feed the cable through here. Again the best tool is a metal coat hanger with a loop on the end. However you can also tape the cable to a screwdriver. Pull the cable through. Be warned its tough!!

Thats the last step it should look something like this...

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1108076673__IMG_2304.jpg

[Edited by Tom on 12 February 2005 at 12:53pm]

Ziel Nurburgring

Very well done. Exactly how i did it, and will stop the same question getting asked. Maybe someone could PM a Mod and ask them to pin it.

muz

big fat japanese bus

I also took the little bottle thing out as well to the right of the coolant resevoir however I had 4 gauge to be dealing with!

lol youve used poxy girl sized cable. Be a man and try that again with some 4 guage or 0 guage if your feeling brave. With the 4 guage I found it easier to remove the complete bonnet catch assembly, pull it back inside the car and cut the grommit out propperly! Makes it much easier to slide the cable through!!:D

Lol pics have turned to little red xs no help at all. I can mail this to anyone that needs it just drop me a PM :)

Focus RS, 182 gone

just thought id say. where the grommet comes out in the engine bay, is level with the indicator reapeater.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Good guide, I wish I had noticed it about 2 days ago.

And you arent joking about the "Your going to need to force your hand behind this" bit.. heh.

Audi S3 225

This guide was no good to me!!

I ended up removing the coolant reservoir to find it made hardly any difference to get your hand behind, so i uncliped the power steering reservoir as well, made it a little easier but still impossible to even see where the hole is!!!!

So i guessed that it was near the inner arch and removed my wheel and unclipped the inner arches and the rubber grommet was right there, got easy access to it took a bit of stabbing with screwdriver and in the end the whole rubber grommet went all the way through and made it easy to get my power cable in.

Anyway maybe its because my cars a mk1 172 but this guide was no good to me and made me distroy the sound proofing in the engine bay, its ripped to sh*t.

Oh well just thought i would let you no,

Thanks Allan

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Its the same for all clios though mate? Ive done 4 new shape ones now i think an on the 2 litres you taht guide is spot on. Its easier to find teh grommit if the wire hager is poking through it already. Too late now i suppose.

Quote: Originally posted by Jonesy on 24 June 2005

I ended up removing the coolant reservoir to find it made hardly any difference to get your hand behind, so i uncliped the power steering reservoir as well, made it a little easier but still impossible to even see where the hole is!!!!

So i guessed that it was near the inner arch and removed my wheel and unclipped the inner arches and the rubber grommet was right there, got easy access to it took a bit of stabbing with screwdriver and in the end the whole rubber grommet went all the way through and made it easy to get my power cable in.

Anyway maybe its because my cars a mk1 172 but this guide was no good to me and made me distroy the sound proofing in the engine bay, its ripped to sh*t.

Thanks Allan

Theyre the same, lol

As for moaning about wrecking your soundproofing, you only have your own hamfistedness to blame for that.

Quote: Originally posted by Jonesy on 24 June 2005

Thanks Allan
I had a Mk1 172 before my 182 used the same method for both. Worked for me (hence this guide).

If you feel its easier to remove the arch lining perhaps you could take some pics and make another guide?

As for ripping the sound proofing to sh*t.... maybe you should have been more careful, like I say I had no problems.

Guys if you need this PM me your email address I will send you a word file. Will speak to admin to try and get this links fixed. I have them hosted else where.