ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick question re brake pads

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Just fitting my pbs pads for Donington tomorrow and noticed a slight crack in one of the pads.

Took these out after my last track day at Anglesey and they performed fine then but unsure if these will stand up to an afternoon in the wet tomorrow?

Or better to scrap them and put a new set in?

Thanks!

20210519_194200.jpg

20210519_194151.jpg

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
These were mine I took out the other day and I did Donington evening session in the dry like that 😂

received_480424869935788.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one, they've been put to good use! At least I don't have to bin the PBS pads then!

I've put ds1.11s in now anyway so should be all good!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Nice one, they've been put to good use! At least I don't have to bin the PBS pads then!

I've put ds1.11s in now anyway so should be all good!

Yeah I'd use those of yours again, if it were me.

I've just swapped to Winmax W5.

They feel good on the road so far. Oulton next Tuesday for the proper test.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds good. I've tried to book Oulton Park but it's quite expensive and it seems most trackdays have been sold out for the next two months!

Why have you gone for the winmax w5?

182 Trophy
I'd probably put new pads in, even though you have so much material you may have already put the pads past their heat range meaning the material is severely fatigued. This will increase the risk of brake failure significantly.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Sounds good. I've tried to book Oulton Park but it's quite expensive and it seems most trackdays have been sold out for the next two months!

Why have you gone for the winmax w5?

Just wanted to try them really, meant to be really good.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Also interested in the winmax. Some people on subaru forums were saying how good they are. I've got PFC097 pads on mine which are fantastic on track, but noisy everywhere else.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Report back please :)

Report is in...

They're good!

I'd say similar bite to PBS maybe a tad more, but zero fade and really easy to modulate.

Don't think they've even worn any material off tbh.

Fairly noisey on the drive home now so will have a look and see but it's to be expected with a metallic compound.

Can imagine the W6 being mega tbh!

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
That's good to hear. Bet the weather was brilliant for Oulton today!

Did you have a lot of fade with the PBS pads?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
That's good to hear. Bet the weather was brilliant for Oulton today!

Did you have a lot of fade with the PBS pads?

After a while yeah.

Enough to knock your confidence into braking late.

I think if you had some proper cooling ducts you'd be fine, but I only run with no arch liners that's it, so things get a bit toasty.

Yeah was wet till about 10am and then dry after that, so I'll take that after the forecast earlier in the week.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
PBS are relatively easy to fade on the right track, plus they wear quickly.

With RBF660 I've not had any brake issues with DS1.11s even on the hottest day of the year.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I run Castrol SRF with mine now.

My white 2118's have half the amount of dust on them now compared to running PBS, which is nice.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Report is in...

They're good!

I'd say similar bite to PBS maybe a tad more, but zero fade and really easy to modulate.

Don't think they've even worn any material off tbh.

Fairly noisey on the drive home now so will have a look and see but it's to be expected with a metallic compound.

Can imagine the W6 being mega tbh!

Have you tried DS1.11's to compare? I've just done my last trackday on my PBS front pads so will be trying the DS1.11's next. If the Winmax bite similar to PBS pads on track then it’s a no from me, especially considering their cost in comparison. I've not had hardly any fade from the PBS pads now ive fitted the corvette ducts after 20 minute stinks around Snet and I would say im fairly hard on the brakes.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Have you tried DS1.11's to compare? I've just done my last trackday on my PBS front pads so will be trying the DS1.11's next. If the Winmax bite similar to PBS pads on track then it’s a no from me, especially considering their cost in comparison. I've not had hardly any fade from the PBS pads now ive fitted the corvette ducts after 20 minute stinks around Snet and I would say im fairly hard on the brakes.

No I've not tried them, they're only a fraction cheaper than the Winmax so I went with these.

They're labelled as an upgrade for people running ds1.11 on Kam's website 🤔

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
No I've not tried them, they're only a fraction cheaper than the Winmax so I went with these.

They're labelled as an upgrade for people running ds1.11 on Kam's website 🤔

I’ll report back after my next track day with them fitted, I do find that people’s opinions on the DS1.11’s are very heavily one way or the other for whatever reason, whether that’s because of the bedding in process, car brake cooling setup, fluid quality or driver quality who knows!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I’ll report back after my next track day with them fitted, I do find that people’s opinions on the DS1.11’s are very heavily one way or the other for whatever reason, whether that’s because of the bedding in process, car brake cooling setup, fluid quality or driver quality who knows!

I did most of the bedding in on track with these Winmax, so maybe that's why they weren't at 100% bite.

Just driven on the road this morning and the bite from cold is mega 😅

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Looking at the specs these W5 have a friction coefficient of 0.40-43 and ds1.11's are 0.46, so the initial bite is bound to be a bit more with them.

W6 should be on par or better.

PBS are meant to be 0.36-0.58 which I find hard to believe 😂
That's a massive range for a pad.

406 V6, Race Buggy
You can't compare manufacturers friction levels, the testing, pressure temperature, sizes, speed, etc, all vary the friction level far too much.
You can compare one manufacturers compounds but you can't compare across 'em.