ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick question regards a corsa vxr and 172 cup

172 Credit crunch edition
Hi, I know this is probably going to get people banging on about use the search flibble flobble. But i have searched and not really found any affirmitive answer.
Basically i have a 2004 172 cup 30k on the clock with itg panel filter and de-cat and exhaust, A friend of mine has just had his dad buy him a corsa VXR with about 7k on the clock.
He keeps banging on about how he can beat 2.0 16valve cars and will beat my cup with ease etc etc:S i have tried to explain to him about the cup but he wont have any of it.
So me thinks its time to put the cars head to head on a 1 mile air strip from a standing start.
What im wanting to know is what should i expect?
I know the corsa VXR is no slouch so it will be a very close call.

end of 1st where should i expect to be?
end of 2nd where should i expect to be etc etc
all the way to 5th.
I know corsa's have very short gearings. so maybe he will pull away from me in 1st?? as i said i dont know.
Any input would be great many thanks!:star:

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
All depends on the driver.

You'll have better acceleration from stand still but then the Corsa will be better through the gears and easier to driver.

But then again its down to the driver.

M2 Competition
Why not go out and drive a set of twisties, big smile on your face, and get something to eat at the end of the run while telling each other war stories about the 'corner that almost caught you out?'

If you're more worried about who's faster, japanese cars with turbos are your best bang for buck :)

(and my money would be on the VXR ;))

Audi TT 3.2 V6
I had a little play with a corsa vxr when i first got my 182 and found when reaching the top end of 4th i was having to back of the throttle as i was getting too close to him.

172 Credit crunch edition
Im hoping his lack of driving experience will show through and he sits there lighting the front wheels up like the chav he is.
He has a weight advantage though as he is rather small and skinny and im 6ft and erm well not skinny lol!!
Im not fussed really just would like to beat him to take the smile off his face!!

Za**** & Xr250R
Like msa197 said it all depends on the driver, i whent toe to toe with a megane 225 off a round about in my 182 and i was on his bumper all the way to 115mph then he back off lol and let me past.

Tony.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Why oh why do people consider the straight line "head to head" as the definitive test of a car's worthiness??
Is horsesh*te if you ask me. Outright power isn't the be all and end all when it comes to the Clio, its all about the driving experience you have.
I'd say, wait until the spring and decent weather, find some nice B-roads and both enjoy the cars on a cross country blat instead of having a chavvy dick measuring contest.

320d
Well the corsa VXR was owned around the 5th gear track by the 197. Tiff was driving them both (time attack) he said the clio was far better. Overall i'd prefare to have the clio tbh.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
From personal experience i'd say you'd have the edge, but i'd take the VXR anyday as its a nice car with big tuning potential.

He's one re-map away from smoking you.

Za**** & Xr250R
Why oh why do people consider the straight line "head to head" as the definitive test of a car's worthiness??
Is horsesh*te if you ask me. Outright power isn't the be all and end all when it comes to the Clio, its all about the driving experience you have.
I'd say, wait until the spring and decent weather, find some nice B-roads and both enjoy the cars on a cross country blat instead of having a chavvy dick measuring contest.

:lolup:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
care.jpg

Well the corsa VXR was owned around the 5th gear track by the 197. Tiff was driving them both (time attack) he said the clio was far better. Overall i'd prefare to have the clio tbh.
i can imagine this tustle will not take place on a track

C

Cupster

You will still have the weight advantage unlesss you weight 150kgs?

On paper the Cup should pip him to 60 or 80, he will probably have you mid gear accelleration and top I would think because of the torque advantage of rthe turbo!?

Get a good start or catch him off boost and you are gone! If you bog down at the start he's gone!

The high output enables Corsa OPC to top 140 mph and accelerate from 0-60 mph in 6.8 seconds, more or less matches Clio RS. However, as you would expect, the main difference lies on the way it delivers such performance – the turbocharged engine produces its peak torque, 170 lbft, continuously from 1980 rpm to 5800 rpm. This mean in normal driving the Corsa feels far stronger than Clio RS and its acceleration response is instantaneous.

Pointless having a drag race. They'll be so close it won't matter, and there's less risk of dying. Normal drving it seems like the Corsa will feel faster, which is all that really matters. Not worth being killed to find out what you already know :D