ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

quick question - wheel offsets

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hey all,

Just wanted to know what offset the wheels are on the cliosport 172, I'm in australia, and it comes standard with 15 inch rims.

Also, can someone please explain to me how the offset actually works? Like for example, larger the number means what exactly? Wheel sticks out of the arch further, or other way? and Where is the offset actually measured from too!?

I understand the 4x100 pcd thing, tyre sizes etc, just the offset has me baffled!

Cheers,

Karl

Megane225FF
Inset or outset
This is very important. Ignore this and you can end up with all manner of nasty problems. This is the distance in mm between the centre line of the wheel rim, and the line through the fixing face. You can have inset, outset or neither. This determines how the suspension and self-centring steering behave. The most obvious problem that will occur if you get it wrong is that the steering will either become so heavy that you can't turn the car, or so light that you need to spend all your time keeping the bugger in a straight line. More mundane problems through ignoring this measurement can range from wheels that foul parts of the bodywork or suspension, to high-speed judder in the steering because the suspension setup can't handle that particular type of wheel. This figure will be stamped on the wheel somewhere as an ET figure.

copied from here...
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

Lionel Richie
its measured from the centre line of the wheel

the higher the number the further in the wheels are eg ET50

ET20 would mean the wheel stuck out

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Thanks for that, so what offset is the cliosport i'm driving then? remember it's 15" not 16" being an aussie version! And, finally, what offset can you get away with? I'm wanting to go to a 16" wheel, but want the track to be slightly WIDER, fill the arches a bit more, kinda wide body thing... bah, If this can be answered, that'd be awesome!

Cheers again,

Karl

Not sure what the offset would be as it may be different to the 16s on uk version. The offset should be on the wheel somewhere either stamped behind the centre cap or on the back face of one of the spokes it will have a ET proceeding the number. If you are worried about possible rubbing you can always stick with the standard offset and fit spacers to widen the track slightly.