ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

:R32

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
I totally agree with the 3MPS comment.

If only the interior was 100x better, I'd have one over the '32.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I totally agree with the 3MPS comment.

If only the interior was 100x better, I'd have one over the '32.

I love the look of the MK2 MPS but left me a little cold, interior and handling wise. 32 is much better... with Dsg. :eek:

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
They are not boring.There well made performance cars.If anyone says there boring then maybe they bought the wrong car.If your looking for a rattle box 106gti for eg then you wouldnt enjoy the golf as it would feel dull

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Generally, hot hatches are for chavs though. The only other car I'd put in the same category as the r32 is a Mazda 3 mps, the styling is very subtle which many will deem as dull and boring.

It's hardly going to get the neighbours jealous for instance.

Personally, the only other cars id place in the R32's segment are the 130i and A3 3.2/S3 - both aimed at very much the upper end of the hatchback market. Not just from a performance perspective, but pricewise as well. Certainly, when specced up, it would have been very easy to spend £30k+ on one!

The MPS for me is more aimed at the Cupra R, ST, CTR, R26, VXR market, with the Golf Gti perhaps slightly above that in terms of perceived quality, but not driving prowess. The latter being more a car for all seasons, rather than being particularly brilliant at any one thing. The R32 for me, builds on that, but adds a little bit more stealth, more toys & some much needed bwaaaarp. Re: the neighbours, I've never been one to try and impress them tbh, i also have a noisy pink clio remember ...

A Skoda i would place in the same category as something from Korea, probably in the nearest taxi rank, & as such, id never even consider looking at one.

Strangely, one of the things im thoroughly enjoying about the R32 is that im not spending all day everyday thinking about how to modify it - like a BMW 'Sport', its decent enough as it is. To tinker with it would be to cheapen it imho. The only things im looking to spend money on at the moment are service parts, which from a wallet perspective, is considerably more sensible than spending £900 on some coilovers - which tbh, i regretted as soon as i fitted them to the clio.

M135i and the shed
Strangely, one of the things im thoroughly enjoying about the R32 is that im not spending all day everyday thinking about how to modify it - like a BMW 'Sport', its decent enough as it is. To tinker with it would be to cheapen it imho. The only things im looking to spend money on at the moment are service parts, which from a wallet perspective, is considerably more sensible than spending £900 on some coilovers - which tbh, i regretted as soon as i fitted them to the clio.

I get the same feeling with our Edition 35. It's a different sort of car to my R26 so when I get in the ED35 I tend to drive it like a grandma and pootle about. I also have absolutely zero desire to modify the ED35. That's not to say the ED35 (or the R32's that i've driven) are perfect as they're far from it and in some areas would benefit some from some changes, but I just see it as the everyday driver and generally bask in the lack of drama and complication that owning a standard car brings.

All said and done though, if the ED35 was my only car i'd go mental. As with the R32's i've driven, it's too sensible, too safe and too predictable to ever really bond with hence why the R26 is still in the garage aswell. Personally I'd wager on you keeping the trophy, as unless you've recently had a full frontal labotomy, you'll probably need that fix that the R32 can't give at some point in the future! :)

Playing safe with a stock but quick daily runner is great, and they have their place (I love ours), but they also present a host of limitations and frustrations for true petrolheads like yourself if intended as the only car in the garage.

Titanium 182
Poobah speaks sense - Defo don't loose the T Davvvvve!

It's the noise the mk5 makes, makes me have a little accident down stairs every time I hear one :)

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Nice. I guess. If you like that sort of thing.

Here's a picture of a rabbit eating some pineapple as I have nothing constructive to say !

pineapple%2Bbunny.jpg

this mad me laugh

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't even bother replying.

Anyway i'm in love with this engine.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Not even got one up! Not like me!

I'll get one up soon!

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Not something i'd call boring either personally. Having driven one and been a passenger in a few i'd say they're a good compromise between sensible and keen, when you need it to be.

And regardless what anyone says, they are quicker than 1*2's.

Sorry mate but they arent 'quicker' however they do achieve a better top speed.

I love the torque R32's produce, it feels awesome when driving them

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Mines is a good bit faster than a 1*2...

I should know lol.

It's not got a superior power to weight ratio, but it's torque to weight would be considerably better, so it's probably faster in gear. However there would be situations where the Clio would trounce it. But day to day driving I'd say it's got the edge. Just.

Porsche Boxster987S
I've had a 182 and and have the r32 now - trust me , the Clio isn't close in a straight line once you pass by the speedlimit ! Even on B roads the R32 covers ground very quickly !

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
I have just as much fun on a B road blast in my 32 than I did in any of my RS Clio's.. It's not as raw but still loads of fun.

Just depends on how much balls you have. When I drive a £2k Clio, I don't care if I bin it, but the financial implications of binning a £11k R32 would be a little harder to swallow lol. Still doesn't stop me having fun though.