ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R35 GTR's may soon be breaking down near you

Evo 8 Jap Crap
That article is 2 years old.

Want a star for spotting the obvious

Its an old article but you want to register on the GTR register and see all the posts appearing of peoples gearbox's being f**ked and nissan doing next to nothing about it!

[YOUTUBE]E1-31R2piOE[/YOUTUBE]

Evo 8 Jap Crap
hows it old news?

Engines are now going bang theres a 17 page thread on gtr register about it.

Nissan have used the wrong big end bearings in the engines and these are now failing now people are putting miles on the cars.

Big fuckup by nissan tbh!

I was on about the Gearbox problems, which have been around since day one. Therefore, old news dude.

The engine's blowing up is something I hadn't heard of until now though.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I remember a thread where the bonnet lifters raised the bonnet on one in a slow impact dink in a carpark and it was circa £8,000 to sort out, nothing seems to be cheap with the R35..

182, GTR, C63
A lot of the gearbox troubles at least on the uk cars seem to be solenoids sticking so not a mojor fix. Ok everything on the car is expensive subject to gtr tax.

It's an absolutely awesome car though, with handling to match it's straight line speed.

There's no defending it's running and parts cost but it's performance can't be knocked.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i dont see what your point is rob? gearboxes have been known for ages, and its not as if nissan never had trouble with every other gtr! godzillas get oil starvation and s**t a rod pretty often....

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman
Theirs nothing weak about the gearbox its one of the strongest DCT there is its just the early LC and people launching time after time which is going to break any car,Ive only heard of one engine failure and this car was running over 600bhp and was a JDM car.

LC has been revised and can now be used under full warranty.

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Only heard of one engine failure? Its becoming a big problem loads of people on GTR register have already had a new engine or waiting to see what nissan are going to do about it.

Qashcow
as malice says, even the old ones are w**k. transfer boxes, gear boxes, bottom ends, ceramic turbos, s**t oil pumps. just an endless list of parts that will at some point, die a sudden death in the old GTR's

that bloke in the video, is he retarded by change? got physical torrettes or something

CMR

A ROFLCOPTER
Want a star for spotting the obvious

Tbh you quoted an article over 2 years old which speculates the gearboxes will not last a long time. As other people have said there have been countless posts over the internet since then saying the problems with them since that article so why quote it now? Have you been living under a rock.

Why would I register on the GTR forums just to read the latest gossipzzz on how the new GTR is riddled with problems just like the previous revisions.

Zzzz

clio sport 172
I seen one of these near Penrith in Cumbria today with 2 Pikeys driving like complete nobs, and under NO control of the car what so ever. They only looked about 17 ffs

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman
Elaborate on loads ? ive heard of more 997 engine failures but like any car it can break especially if its being tuned like every failure on gtroc seems to be,however out the cars sold and the amount that have "broken" i think its extremely unlikely to happen.

Ive seen quite afew stock cars with over 20k miles now,one being motortrend long term which no doubt gets ragged the s**t out of.

Qashcow
does not want...

P1060682.jpg

lol my Yaris sump looked like that a few months back! :cool:

Btw the 11K "bump" bill wasn't actually 11K, it was a mistake by the dealer. Can't remember the actual figure though.

Tav

Clio 197
Elaborate on loads ? ive heard of more 997 engine failures but like any car it can break especially if its being tuned like every failure on gtroc seems to be,however out the cars sold and the amount that have "broken" i think its extremely unlikely to happen.

Ive seen quite afew stock cars with over 20k miles now,one being motortrend long term which no doubt gets ragged the s**t out of.

Rear main oil seal failure was the big issue with the 911 wasn't it?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
The 2 local R35's here are currently waiting for new engines, well one is anyway.

Ones done 24k and the other has done 9k.

Nissan UK are saying its wear and tear due to track use. Which is worrying since niether of them have been near a track.

Due to this the one with 9k is getting handed back to the insurance company as a write off iirc

The only other one round here that has had problems had a top end rebuild due to oil starvation.

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman
There was problems with the first batch of European cars according to Nissan which probably explains the failures.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Didn't dubai182 send his back due to persistent issues? From day 1 there seem to have been various issues. Certainly doesn't seem to have the over engineered integrity of ze Germans!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
LOL! the car is pretty balls out, for the price nothing comes close new! people are buying them and driving them hard, i can think of LOADS of 32/33/34 gtrs that have gone pop when standard and arent running the power the new gtr is!

what is the f**king problem?! none of you that are bitching will ever own one or actually come close to the power standard that does...

alot of the euro cars that had gearbox problems were down to people using launch control which in the manual isnt ever classed as launch control... and there for not intended to be used as such!

do you know how much stress it puts on a car using launch control? i have seen audi's bmw's, skylines, supras all with launch control that have s**t a box using it! go sit in your clio rev it to over 4k, and drop the clutch, see how long the box lasts, the fact the gtr will do that and not spin the wheels and keep perfect traction is f**king amazing tbh! a stock gtr will do a 3.5 0-60 without the "launch" activated!!! it knocks a couple tengths off using it! is there really any need when its that quick?

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman
LOL! the car is pretty balls out, for the price nothing comes close new! people are buying them and driving them hard, i can think of LOADS of 32/33/34 gtrs that have gone pop when standard and arent running the power the new gtr is!

what is the f**king problem?! none of you that are b**ching will ever own one or actually come close to the power standard that does...

alot of the euro cars that had gearbox problems were down to people using launch control which in the manual isnt ever classed as launch control... and there for not intended to be used as such!

do you know how much stress it puts on a car using launch control? i have seen audi's bmw's, skylines, supras all with launch control that have s**t a box using it! go sit in your clio rev it to over 4k, and drop the clutch, see how long the box lasts, the fact the gtr will do that and not spin the wheels and keep perfect traction is f**king amazing tbh! a stock gtr will do a 3.5 0-60 without the "launch" activated!!! it knocks a couple tengths off using it! is there really any need when its that quick?

+1

Just a shame alot of people will be put of unnecessarily by articles like this .people seem dead set on tarnishing the GTR badge :dapprove:.

Lionel Richie
Drivers Dream Days have 2 and they've been spot on, and they're on track minimum of 3days a week some times 5 days straight

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
james, problem is, people like to read and think they know everything, they will read one bitchy comment about a car and then thats it in their eyes its s**t! i get it all the time driving a rx7...

tbh all the people that get put off a car because of something they read i see it as a good thing, means that they will never own one and less doughnuts driving nice cars lol!

Lionel Richie
one has only just finished the run in peroid (black edition or something like that?), the other i will find out on, but it must be on about 15-20K now

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman
james, problem is, people like to read and think they know everything, they will read one b**chy comment about a car and then thats it in their eyes its s**t! i get it all the time driving a rx7...

tbh all the people that get put off a car because of something they read i see it as a good thing, means that they will never own one and less doughnuts driving nice cars lol!

Yeh that's one way of looking at it :D,Cheers Fred.

Qashcow
i'll have one, one day, having spent 9k fixing an R32 I still adore them.

was reading on the GTR forum last night, the one that pic I posted is from is an early JDM model, raped daily and over 100bhp more than standard. owner found out yesterday is was due to the oil overheating and not lubing a valve, which then stuck and so the valve and piston had brief sex before shitting out the side of the block.

Ive been reading up on issues with the oil pickup in the sump too, lots of fragments in a few engines from the sealant they use to build the engines. that, i believe, is an on-going problem that nissan are looking closely at

Black Clio GT
anything with big power/traction for the cc is gonna be fragile,
turbo clios/big power track clios eat boxes/uprated cluches/suffer oil starvation on the track/twisty stuff if you launch them/rag the nuts off them x amount of times every week, then they will break, know its a different kettle of fish but principles are the same...
wouldnt put me off one if i had 60k to spend but if you think why they are "only" 60k vs similar performing cars cost closer too 100k components are gonna be at there maximum tollerences to keep the price lower etc.....

182, GTR, C63
When you put the massive expense to one side it's a fantastic car to drive though. Insanely fast and capable and as mentioned reliability is more of a concern for tuned cars as is usually the case.

I could sit here and also **** it off as it annoys me a car sold on it's on track performance (7.26) and cut price supercar slayer image that Nissan were so arsey at first about VDC off could only be used when stuck in snow or mud and not when you feel like it for warranty reasons. Also they initially stated that g/box oil needs changing every 3000 miles if it regularly exceeded 110 degrees.

They have now changed both these stipulations but still continue to extort you on parts prices. I've seen people quoted £550 per tyre at a Nissan stealer. Also people quoted £60 per corner fitting and balancing! The servicing is more regular and more expensive than a 911 turbo!

But it's still absolutely fantastic!