ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Race with CooperS

and i have to pay respect......theyre quick.
Wasnt any proper racing, just out of some roundabouts in 2nd gear.
He had tints, p.plate and mayb lowered.
In beckton on Friday night, seen him at the lights slowly went past, he was right up me arse so i knew he wanted to play, waited till the straight and floored it in 2nd to 60, my initial accel was quick gained a car length but it stopped pretty much there! he kept up! nuff respect! knocked onto third pretty much same then slowly began pullin a little away but had to slow down for next roundabout every time, by the 3rd roundabout we both chilled and he exited on his was to the west end.

i guess the outcome out of first may have been diff, but hands up, in second there really wasnt much in it, if anything.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

ye we all quote 0-60 times.. and if it had of been that type of race I guess you would have won.

but in normal driving there really has to be quite a bit of a difference power wise to make a visable difference on the road and through the twisties.

To really lose a car you need A LOT more power, the cooper s is only fractionally slower to sixty, but when your moving things are different. My bros 2.0ltr SRI caviler can be a real pain.

Cooper S with one of the many 200+ BHP kits would be interesting to race?

I had one of the punks start on me when i was in my dads car yesterday. Normally none are up for fun. I agree with KDF that on normal urban roads youll need a big difference in spec to see a clear winner.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 17 March 2003

I agree with KDF that on normal urban roads youll need a big difference in spec to see a clear winner.
Like when I try to race a BMW M3 LOL !!! that sorta difference..

QUOTE "oh sh*t, where did he go ? and why has it got foggy all of a sudden ?"

a 2ltr SRi Cavalier LOL, ill turn one into chicken soup

ALSO THE HARTGE 200bhp kit was timed at 17.2 -100 7secs to 60

Quote: Originally posted by Norfolk-172 on 17 March 2003

Whats ya dads car Robfenn?

I was driving his E46 M3. I got to some traffic lights, the Mini Driver was going straight ahead while i planned to go right into a petrol station but the gimp revved his puny, whiny engine! I accordingly proceeded to kick his arse once the lights went green, just leaving two 8 inch wide squiggly black lines!

Chicken soup, yeah the sort that gives you Indigestion :devilish:

As for the Hartge kit your trying to get 200bhp (most say it runs 212bhp) through the front wheels, in gear it would keep a 172 honest, if not have the edge?

Yes i was probably overly crictial of the M3 when i first drove it but now i am getting more and more impressed, theres not much there at the start but midrange is awesome, SMG box is quite fun in a kangaroo hopping kind of way.

Only 212bhp in 0 degrees or below. It may have the edge, but the edge appears not to be enough. I was told gearing is the problem with the mini.

Yeah your right RobFenn gearing is to long in the cooper S, but still i think it would be a lot of fun. They handle SOOOOOO well, with the mad top end of the hartge kit and the right wheels (16s) it would be a hanfull for any 172.

Anyone raced a hartge mini?

Bloody rare for a few years, if you have the kit installed you invalidate the TLC package. And talk to mini owner and they all seem to have had trouble, could just be the early cars, but I wouldnt bet against it.

Dont get me wrong I think the Clio 172 is fantasic, its a proper hot hatch :D

anyone know what the stats are like on an S3?? i had a bit of a blast down a bypass near me and couldnt shake the bugger up to 120!!

it was bloody quick!!!

An S3 should be around 16/17ish to a 100 & 6 something to 60? sorry for the rough idea but it gives you a clue.

I would of thought the S3 owner was more miffed than you, he prob paid £24,000 to be held by a £12,000 Clio. :D

Back to talking about minis, me and my brother had them!!

hes still got his, i sold my cooper for more to fund the cup!!! best thing ive ever done!!

the mini did feel a bigger car, maybe a little more detailed, but between the both of us there were a few problems.

exterior trim etc wasnt that well put together, he had an early version and its had more recalls than a BT answer phone! fist was filler neck improvement, apparently there was a possibility of static build up causing a liklihood of igniting!!!!!

second was the handbrake!! has a tendancy to self release!!!!

third was the gearbox, something to do with the syncro?!!?

hes also had to take it in for leaking seals on the lights letting water in to the car!!!!, and all the rear lights had to be changed because of condesation build up!!! oh and its been in to have the exterior trim refixed!!

BMW call these teething problems!?!??!

i call it a sh*te car!! only joking i loved my mini, i really did!! soooo much fun and the ladies loved it! but the clio is much better, similar type of ride in all honesty but i think the steering response is much sharper on the cup. oh and less rattles than the mini (although it is early days!!)

Well if you can put up with all that and still love em they must be good :confused:

But if the ladies were itching to get in....... i can see ya point GREAT FUN ;)

Fit and finish is much better than the clios, we have cheapo plastic lift up handles, they have proper styled BMW ones. Its for pussies though really, glad you sold it!

Honda Civic Type R GT

Fit and finish is much better than the clios, we have cheapo plastic lift up handles, they have proper styled BMW ones. Its for pussies though really, glad you sold it!
When I first started posting on this site I thought that the majority of posts were reasonable and fair. Recently though there seems to be a lot of sl*gging of other makes, do we really need to stoop to the levels of some of the saxo/civic sites ?

Regards,

Tommy.

CTR EK9 turbo

I like the Cooper-S a lot. Test drove one a while back with my g/f. You can see loads out of the window, really good visability etc. Couldnt really get to toast it around because the salesman was in the back seat, but did manage to get some weird light come on around a bend when i floored it! it cut the power and didnt understeer, i think id have to turn that off!

Loved the driving experience, but not too sure about the looks. Some days i think they look good, some days i think they dont. I dont know why. At the moment i like the looks - love the noise of the blower whining away, and the dual exhaust in the middle looks really nice. The build quality is very impressive. And the black switches inside are a nice idea. The driving position is spot-on too.

My bros thinking of another car: CTR, CUP, COOPER -S are all on the cards. He wants a mk.1 172 tho... haha, (good choice ;))

I think hes going to save for an EVO V now, so that should be interesting....

The Hartge conversion should be quite interesting also. Id like to test drive one with that kit on. My bro spotted a Works mini cooper-s today apparently.

Regarding the S3, they are pretty quick and very very nice looking inside and out. The white leather is heavenly! Had a good race with one a while back and the owner was totally abusing it, thrashing from cold and not leaving it to cool down after our race. We were matched on acceleration, if anything i was climbing into his boot (slip stream hehe). My empty fuel tank probably helped out tho....

Quote: Originally posted by Tommy on 17 March 2003

When I first started posting on this site I thought that the majority of posts were reasonable and fair. Recently though there seems to be a lot of sl*gging of other makes, do we really need to stoop to the levels of some of the saxo/civic sites ?

Regards,

Tommy.

Yes Tommy, yes we do.

(If you read the post i didnt sl*g off the car or manufacturer, duh)

Yours Sincerley

Robbo

Tommy - I wouldnt worry about the juvenile nature of some of the posters on here.....I think they keep having relapses where they think they are still in the school playground...... ;):p

Yeah im glad i got the clio, but i wouldnt say theyre for pussies too loud, my bros 64 and 17stone, he might get a bit funny!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I like the idea of the Cooper-S, would love the engine and supercharger.. but in a different bodyshell, sorry i just dont like the looks of the new mini, but I can understand why people do, and im sure its a cracking car.. just not for me.

I wish NA engines were as easy to increase the power as FI

:confused: You hate superchargers?

I know an NA engine will allways be more responsive, but they can do wonders for torque and power.

Yeah the 1.6 engine in the Mini seems to be quite ordanary, most of the car mags dont rate the engine.

Theres no doubt they do the job but the awful whine doesnt flick my switch. EVO described the Cooper Ss engine noise as a house hold appliance, its also been described as a normal car in reverse, would you want that from an enthusiasts car?

lol yeah get ya point, they say the same about the Jag XJR,

compaired to something like the new Golf R32 engine note, supercharges dont stand a chance. Well each to there own i guess, now if its engine noise it HAS to be a V8:D