ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Race with Fiat Coupe Turbo

I was following a grey P-reg Fiat Coupe along a dual carriageway just now, both of us in a very orderly fashion. I was wondering if it was a NA 2.0 16v/20v or a turbo 16v/20v...until he booted it out of a roundabout, leaving a Porsche Boxster in its wake. I followed suit at a respectable distance, although there wasnt a clear opportunity for us to compare the cars for a while.

Finally, a proper straight opened up and we both gunned it out of the roundabout, side by side. In 2nd there was nowt in it, but in 3rd he opened about two car lengths on me. It stayed that way in 4th, although we both honourably bowed out at 90mph.

Lovely looking car and the sound of the turbo on full chat was fantastic, accompanied by clouds of black smoke on the upchange. For my part, I was spitting huge flames and equally impressive black clouds of soot - but I do have a de-cat to help, while the Fiat looked standard.

Although I didnt beat it, it was nice to be in the same ballpark as the 20v Turbo (red badges - any difference??). Flashes and waves from both at the end.

I think they carry about 170bhp per ton, which should be within about 10bhp per ton of what my Valver has.

I own both a 20V turbo & a Mk2 172 and the copue eats the 172 in a straight line,once over 50mph the clio becomes a speck in the distance, Im guessing the coupe was about knackered due to the black smoke coming out of the back end

How come your valver spits out smoke and flames ben ? my mates 16v also spits out flames,hes got a de-cat pipe pipercross ik and superchip maybe one of those helps the flames? but my 16v with full piper ss system and de-cat pipe + pipercross ik doesnt spit no flames but when i rag it hard i get a big coud of smoke and a nice smell lol.

Its just the de-cat I guess. Didnt do it before I put that on. The car has headwork and cams, but nothing radical.

I dont know what to say about the Coupe really, it just happened. Ill never know if it was shagged or not, but black smoke is fairly normal on the upchange. I always see posts like this turn into the poster defending to the death that they did beat/keep up with car X, but Ive got an open mind. What I will say is that the only Clios Ive been beaten by are F7R-powered 16vs or Williams (which always make more than the stated 150bhp) - and the Fiat was opening about the same gap as they do over me. I would have said it was reasonable to allow me in the region of 160bhp per ton, which is about 10bhp per ton short on a 20v Turbo Coupe - I know the torque is a hell of a lot better, but Id say my experience is about what youd expect given this.

Quote: Originally posted by jamiepm on 02 May 2003

I own both a 20V turbo & a Mk2 172 and the copue eats the 172 in a straight line,once over 50mph the clio becomes a speck in the distance, Im guessing the coupe was about knackered due to the black smoke coming out of the back end
Same with my punto, they pull away after 50

With the way things are going with cars manufacturers, I hope weight doesnt handycap the megane RS, otherwise it may be just another mediocre hot hatch with average performance.

320d M Sport

my mate has one-its fast.

There would be no need for the coupe to be in 4th gear at 90, they do 75 in second (maybe he was nt thrashing it that hard?). they also do 0-100 in 14 seconds which is the fastest FWD production car time.

320d M Sport

that car doesnt have the 20V turbo, its a 16V Turbo engine, its quite a well known car as theres not many tipo Turbos.

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 02 May 2003

There would be no need for the coupe to be in 4th gear at 90, they do 75 in second (maybe he was nt thrashing it that hard?). they also do 0-100 in 14 seconds which is the fastest FWD production car time.
I dont know what gear it was in (how could I know that!!??:confused:) I was talking about what gears I was in! :p What we know is that it was making a couple of car lengths on me when I hit 3rd; that it was trying; that it said 20v Turbo in red badges on the side; and that it was making chracteristic turbo noises.

I didnt get a chance to race it off the mark, it was mainly 30-90 and I was able to use the roundabouts to my advantage. When I saw it, I didnt expect for a moment to beat it, but was pleasantly surprised that it didnt pull away convincingly. It works both ways - the other day I had a Mk2 XR2i on my rear bumper and I was having major difficulty losing it, even down the twisties:oops:. I posted about that at the time too!

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 02 May 2003

that car doesnt have the 20V turbo, its a 16V Turbo engine, its quite a well known car as theres not many tipo Turbos.
oops 16v engine (Begbie)