ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

races

just had two races. a rover 220 gsi/gti?? killed it didnt really push my car either. Nothing to boast about. Pug 205 gti. In all fairness not sure if it was 1.6 or 1.9 cos it had a massive kit on etc. he shot past me and i was soon on his tail, we hit a set of lights. he had no one in has car, i had three. from the lights he dusted me. but we approached another junction and we had to slow down but from rolling start i was comfortably gaining on him through2/3/4 gear. Most immpressive part was breaking!! about 100metres(me and my mates guess) the lights turned amber and we were doing around 100mph. my car stopped without skidding and he had to go straight through a red!! would it have been a 1.6 gti??

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by clean16v on 04 December 2002

my car stopped without skidding and he had to go straight through a red!! would it have been a 1.6 gti??
would have been a loony by the sound of it...

well we were doing some high speeds on a wet surface with little room to brake!! thinking about it it was actually pretty stupid cos i hate to think what would have happened if someone was crossing the road

*Phil dons Wise-man hat*...
live and learn my friend, atleast you realise what you did was a bit silly - more than can be said for most people on the road!

"thinking about it it was actually pretty stupid"

You reckon?

"i hate to think what would have happened if someone was crossing the road"

You would of killed them, be it an old women, children, or an entire family.

You say the Rover race is nothing to boast about (sounds like he wasnt even trying), so then you go on to boast about driving like a complete nob.

Grow up.

Stu.

Easy Stu! I think hes realised the error of his ways, I reckon weve all done things in the past that were not proud of (I know i have), the most important thing is to realise - its hard work to admit you might have done something stupid!

Me perfect? - Absolutely ;)

"You dont buy a performance car to drive it slow."

I completely agree, but there is a difference between having a spirited drive in the country and racing in a built up area with other car and pedestrians about.

If you are going to drive fast make sure its only you that is going to get hurt when things go pear shaped.

Stu.

11pm on a dual carrigeway is about as sensible as it gets. i dont pay stupid insurance to drive slow. i think your post was pretty harsh, sorry we arent all model civilians. and what exactly would you know about whther the rover was trying or not? i know the owner and there is no way he would overtake me not booting it. i know when not to go past my limits, plus if you read the post, i stopped at the lights!! its the pug that didnt. the purpose of this post was to compare the pugs performance to the 16V, not to have other forum users question my driving ability or how sensible i am. how dare you question how i drive knowing very little about me or the situation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

At the end of the day drive as fast as you like

but be prepared to face the law and what might happen to you if you kill someone

you can drive fast with control its very easy. it also very easy to crash

do you allow for mechanical failure or someone stepping out in front of you?

if you dont then chances are your not driving fast safely. But the fact is there are limits and you should stick to them

racing is not clever your insurance is void if you get caught doing it plus the fact that you cannot predict what the other party may do.

Just my thoughts

Oh dear... robin relients all round for you lot!!

Jesus whats going on with everyone.... Racing on the roads is fun I will worry about running someone over if I do... But im to good to do that so it will never happen

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by Steve on 04 December 2002

Oh dear... robin relients all round for you lot!!

Jesus whats going on with everyone.... Racing on the roads is fun I will worry about running someone over if I do... But im to good to do that so it will never happen
Too good? You aint up your own ass are you?

i bet the guy that ran over my mate said that too.

Dont be a bellend your never "too good"

hahaha it was a wind up tom! But I am pritty good at reading roads... I dont really drive super fast in towns anymore (just 50 in 30s these days) but used to when I was younger.

But your never know if someone will run out on ya.... I have been lucky and it has not happened to me....

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

but its really not funny

the car shattered his skull and he died instantly

the bloke was racing at about 10pm on a dual carrigeway he lost control and monted the pavement and hit my mate

right in front of me

bet he thought it would never happen to him either

I admit I was a little harsh in my first post, but my thoughts are the same.

"11pm on a dual carrigeway is about as sensible as it gets"

and....

"high speeds on a wet surface with little room to brake!!"

...and with two mates in, if thats is you being as sensible as it gets, id hate to be around when youre being a bit stupid.

"i dont pay stupid insurance to drive slow"

We all pay stupid insurance, but there is a reason for that...we crash.

"the purpose of this post was to compare the pugs performance to the 16V, not to have other forum users question my driving ability or how sensible i am"

Far enough I apologise. So you car is faster than a 205 Gti either 1.6 or 1.9, were not quite sure. Im pleased for you.

Stu.

Ouch.... Sorry to hear that mate... Not a nice thing to happen.

I dont push my car that much in built up areas where I could lose it... thats only for country roads etc

glad we sorted that out. its a car enthusiasts forum, if i wanted a lecture i will speak to my mum. at the end of the day we all know the risks involved in street racing but we run that risk because it is enjoyable, if some people are stupid enough to go past those limits then they only have themselves to blame. i am not one of those people, im just having a bit of fun. its like everytime u have a drink there is a risk, stay within your limits and your fine, go past them and there is no telling what can happen(talking about drinking in general not drink driving!!). thanks for the advice but i think i am wise enough to judge the risk of a situation on my own.

clio 20v

fuk me before people start writing a post that sounds like summat there dad wud say take a chill pill and DONT

its not worth the petty arguing if youve got an opinion about something constructive say it , if not keep stum then everybodys happy

it winds me up wen peeps start going on like theyve neva done a thing wrong in there life and before u say it ive done plenty wrong!

adi

clio 20v

and oh yeah not sure bout this cos you had people in the car but after racing on the lancs our cars were quite close and ive beat a 1.9gti before and ud kill a 1.6 cos there not that quick in a straight line

adi