ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rack Or Column

or track rod ends....worn bush etc etc....You need to jack the car up and check the wheel movement by applying pressure on the top and bottom of the wheel....Then identify the area before wasting any cash on a rack etc.

had it checked out before but i cant remember if they sold the whole column or the rack

i can move the steerin wheel about 11-1 without turning the wheels

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

check at the bottom of the column, pull the rubber up and see if there is movement in the column, mine was like that and mi dad welded it and now its spot on! sh*t hot, top bolock!

ill av a lil look see

wasnt there a mass thread on weldin it up and it not bein safe as its a crumble point?

Jus gotta find a place that will weld it up

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

not sure mate, theres been a few threads i think but i know a lot of people have had it done as a temp measure and its fine, although im sure none of them have crashed.

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

If you can wobble the steering wheel when the cars stationary, without the front wheels moving then its youre steering column.

P

peterh2

Yer, I have the same problem at the moment it will be the column. After thinking about it for a while im going to go for a new one, had a chat with Paul at infinicar about it and he raised a very good point. What happens if your cornering hard and all of a sudden the weld breaks? Its going to put you into a hedge or possibly worse. When it comes to safety, imho your probably best paying a little more and doing a proper job.

I think a new column from renault is ~135.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

well if u are cornering and it breaks then ur right, but it will only go back to the normal state, which in my case was only a bit of play. suppose it depends how hard u are actually cornering, the wled on mine is proper bo.

its only temp though till i get through the next few weeks of exams then iv got soem time to play!

got loads of stuff to fit/fix!

P

peterh2

Adams_16v : the problem is that you wont be expecting it to break though and a sudden play between 11 and 1 would be bloody scary when taking a corner at 80 on the limit. I know I have enough problems just getting mine to go straight at the moment with the wobble, when you put your foot down it goes all over the place.

But when cornering the play isnt there, the play occurs because it moves, then starts to turn the rack, once its moving the rack theres no play because the play has gone, so if the weld broke at 80 when cornering NOTHING would happen !!

P

peterh2

I assume you would weld it in the central position (so there is about 1cm of play to either side). When it breaks all of a sudden that 1cm of play would instantly come into effect loosing you say 20 degrees on the steering wheel...

You weld it in the middle yes otherwise your steering wheel will be off centre !! What do you mean WHEN ?? have you seen the pics of my weld ? any force my PAS can put on that wont break it !!

IF and i mean IF it were to break when you were going straight then YES the play would be there and you might not know it, (although the big f**k off bang of the weld cracking will give it away) !!, then you might understeer because of the play, BUT if it breaks when cornering ( the most dangerous time) then the play wont become aparrent !! this is swear, until you know where and why the play is there you cant understand this !! But the play is only there for the first few degrees and there is no more play further around the steering wheel !!

as Craig said the play is only when the wheels are straight and u are tryin to turn them, once at say 11 then its solid steerin but its that play when on a motorway is fcukin scary and a lot more effort to drive

Well if u weld it in several places the weld will surely hold an impact

either replace the column or weld it up, the choice is yours, in my eyes that weld was strong and wont break as the stresses arent strong enough !! the two pieces are in effect one now !!

had a quote for £100 to fit a new column plus the column which as said before £135 quite expensive in the end

Craig where u live? mids somewhere?

i live in the mids mate yes !! that quote sounds quite good, make sure its a brand new column though, as a recon one will f**k up in no time, and theres nothing to stop it happening to the brand new one a few years down the line

might get a new one and weld that, lol double strength and might actually prolong the life of it as well!

ill go Renault tuesday and ask then get bak to ya

P

peterh2

Another thing you may want to think about when welding is I think they are supposed to break if you have a heavy head on impact. If it dont break there is a possibility it may send the steering wheel into your face.

Quote: Originally posted by peterh2 on 02 May 2004

Yer, I have the same problem at the moment it will be the column. After thinking about it for a while im going to go for a new one, had a chat with Paul at infinicar about it and he raised a very good point. What happens if your cornering hard and all of a sudden the weld breaks? Its going to put you into a hedge or possibly worse. When it comes to safety, imho your probably best paying a little more and doing a proper job.

I think a new column from renault is ~135.
Your car is welded together.. are you worried that is going to break apart while you are driving along?

On one of the other threads on here its recommended that you dont pack stuff in the gap, as this could come unpacked at speed and be a bit dangerous - - - I dont remember anyone doubting the effectiveness of a good quality bit of welding though, and know of many people whove saved themselves a fortune in parts and fitting by getting it done.

clio
hi guys , sorry new on here, so dont know how to posy as yet.brought a clio dci on a o4 plate, steering colmn has movment on it. when its looked into position. any ideas what i could be as im new with the clios, cheers lads