ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Radio forgets pre-set stations

When I bought a mkII the other week, I kept my headunit from my old car and just transfered it across.

Is there any reason why it doesn't remember the radio stations I've set as favourites? It worked fine before, and now it's just a pain in the arse scrolling through each time to get the stations I'm after.

Also - with the steering column controls - is it just a case of buying the adapter and hooking it upto your existing head unit?

Polo + Micra
you need to swap the red and yellow wires that go between the iso plug and the head unit

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
does it forget all your other settings?? and the time by any chance??

if so, then your battery live,
and ignition live are the wrong way around,

very common problem,
swap them round, and itll be fine,

Just had a quick look, and the lead going from the back of the head unit sprouts into two sockets - both of which are different shapes from one another, so can't be swapped.

I'm guessing I need a new (iso?) lead.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
noo

one of the plugs will have all 8 holes filled with wires, and the wires will be paired in colour
this is the speaker plug,

the should have a red and a yellow wire at either end, and black some where in it, and maybe a couple others,

is the red wire and the yellow wire that need to be swapped over

Polo + Micra
normally hu manufactures fit a way of swapping them without having to mod anything

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
hope this helps

sorry for the freehand writing, my ms paint doesnt work properly lol

Ph1 172 + Combo van
normally hu manufactures fit a way of swapping them without having to mod anything
Was like that on my alpine h/u. already had crimped bullet connectors so you can just swap them over with no cutting.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
err, depends on the lead i guess,
otherwise just get your soldering iron out, and some insulation tape

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
f**k that

if you don't have the in built bullet connectors id put them tbh

my pioneer one didnt have the bullets in it,

depends on the brand of headunit, and how new it is i guess,

my jvc one does :approve:

Ph1 172 + Combo van
crimp on the bullet connectors yourself if you dont have them already. easy to change back that way.

Right, got it sorted today - I think. Finally.
As soon as I removed the red wire, it brought the connector with it, which snapped when I so much as looked at it. I tried hooking it up to a spare from an old adapter I had lying around, but that was impossible.

So, I eventually resorted to just looping the bare ends of the red wire through the hole in the broken end of the connector and taping it in place.
When I hooked it all back up, it worked fine after setting pre-sets and turning off/on the ignition. However, getting the cables, antenna, and head unit in that ridiculously tiny gap was stupid. I had to keep pushing the cables into a gap to the right - but low and behold when I hooked it back up once it was in place, my lovely botch job fell out. FIVE TIMES. So I upped the botch levels by wedging some card in next to the cable to keep it in place. Then my removal keys snapped in half.

Greeeat.

I will be getting a replacement cable by the way - as I'm obviously not impressed with my efforts.

Also, messing around in that tiny gap for the head unit got me thinking - how are any more cables supposed to fit in there? a la steering column control adapter/s? I was intending on getting one but I can't see how it'd fit. Or am I barking up the wrong gap, as it were?

1.4 16V Mk2 Ph2
mine had bullet connectors, i just changed it over then because i was having the same problem

1.6 focus zetec....
A mates got this problem in a 206... Would i cut the red and yellow bout 2 inches from the iso add bullets and then connect them back up??

Also without sounding thick is it the wiring from the head unit i'd cut or the wiring from the car?

Polo + Micra
head unit wiring leave the car part along

just cut them in the middle and add the bullets there

Polo + Micra
you might have a fuse gone on the perm live but the ignition feed might fire up the unit so wouldn't show as a fault as such