ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rainx - its brilliant

The rainx stuff is s**te unless you properly clean the inside window with polish and still then you'll need 3-4 coats for it to last over a month.

Get Carpro Figfight, simple clean the inside and apply. Ive sprayed steam onto the window and it does not fog up at all, bathroom mirrors writing Boo! on them usually gets a squeel when the other half went for a bath.

And fogfight is £4.85 off i4D...

I've cleaned the glass since this post with AG car glass polish then reapplied. Works a treat now. Even did the wing mirror glass

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Just got bottle g5 today. I don't have any ipa tho.

Will I be ok to clay and polish the windscreen then apply the g5?

One coat. Apply leave for 5-10 mins and buff off?

200Cup,Alpine,Esprit
I've been using a product called PermaClear on all my cars for years now. Nothing I have tried gets close. It goes in the washer reservoir and is reapplied whenever you use the water on your windscreen. Our RS200 had G1 applied when it was professionally detailed and if I'm honest I wouldn't of known it had been put on if I hadn't been told. PermaClear is a fabulous product and I have driven 150 miles on a motorway in torrential rain and didn't use my wipers at all.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Used Gtechniq G1 for a couple of weeks now, here's my thoughts.

Good Points:
Driving along at 80mph, in very heavy rain (to the extent that with an untreated screen I'd have been reduced to 40mph) without having to use my wipers is f**king unreal. Literally no need to use wipers on the motorway again.
The raindrops running off your screen are so cool it's almost distracting.

Bad Points:
The screen mists up much more in the morning, as it appears to mist up on the outside as well now. Using the screen washers helps clear it.

Worth it 10000000000000% IMO.

Corsa Van. Meh.
Used Gtechniq G1 for a couple of weeks now, here's my thoughts.

Good Points:
Driving along at 80mph, in very heavy rain (to the extent that with an untreated screen I'd have been reduced to 40mph) without having to use my wipers is f**king unreal. Literally no need to use wipers on the motorway again.
The raindrops running off your screen are so cool it's almost distracting.

Bad Points:
The screen mists up much more in the morning, as it appears to mist up on the outside as well now. Using the screen washers helps clear it.

Worth it 10000000000000% IMO.

I put G5 on mine 2 months ago and whilst moving I have not used the wipers once. It is such an impressive product I cannot believe more people do not use it.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Thought i'd give the Gtechniq G1 a try and tbh i'm not that impressed . The windscreen was properly prepared with the G4 polish and layered 3 times with the G1 leaving to haze between coats for 15 mins as per instructions then removed with the G2 . I know it's designed to work at higher speeds compared to the G5 , but i did expect " some " beading even at lower speeds ,i got little to no beading until around 45mph , above 50mph it started to work better . Haven't used Rain X in years . I had heard the formula might have changed ? But the G1 wasn't as effective as the Rain X .Personally , I prefer Halfords own rain repellent which starts to work at much lower speeds , from my experience , as low as 25 - 30mph . Basically the same product as Rain X but you get 250mls for the same price as 200mls of Rain X . Plus on frosty mornings like today , you get very little build up of ice . I'd rather have a product that needs topping up every month or two and works well than one that says it " can " last up to two years but is a poor performer . All my opinions of course , based on my findings .

Golf GT & A4 Avant
its always been stated that G1 will not run off water until 50mph, G5 from 30mph. but his all depends on driving conditions. for me wih a decent gap to the car in front a cars passing the other way G1 will start to run water from 35mph albeit at a slow rate. and again i guess it depends on what driving you do, i do very little town driving and when i was it was typically to slow for rainx and g5 to operate properly.

what g1 does does well is sheet water off when washing leaving very little water marks if not dried in time. plus theyve been on my cars one 8months the other 15months

if im honest if i didnt use G1 I wouldnt use any of them, just stick to applying C1.5, C2 or reload on the screen every time i added another layer to the bodywork

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I know it's stated that it only works at speeds of above 50mph , like i said . Mine started beading ever so slightly at around 45mph . But i did expect maybe there would be minimal beading maybe around 30 - 35ish . Personally pound for pound i think the Halfords own rain repellent is better bang for your buck and outperforms the G1 . I'd be hesistant to try the G5 at £10.00 for 100mls versus 250ml of Halfords own at 6 quid a bottle . Sheeting water off when washing isn't a priority for me , i want the water to disperse when i'm driving as the product is designed to do .

I think you're missing the point. When you say out performs, in what regard? G1 lasted almost two years on my car. And I say almost, only because it was removed and I applied G5 as my car rarely now goes above 40 due to living in London.

The Halfrauds stuff will wear off in a fraction of the time.

And just to add, G5 is superb. Beading on the windscreen when stationary and it starts to move at about 25-30mph for me.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I'm not missing the point at all . I thought it was self explanatory what i wrote . The G1 wasn't effective until 50mph and above , which ok , i already knew . Maybe i expected too much of the product that it " might " start to bead at lower speeds , like the Halfords own , which starts to bead at 25mph from my experience . I can't comment on the durability of the G1 as i've only had it on for just over a week . And yes i know the Halfords own , like the Rain X does need regular top ups , which isn't an issue for me as it only takes a few minutes to apply and remove the excess which in the grand scheme of things is very little time bearing in mind people will spend 3 , 4 , 5 hours or more washing , polishing , waxing etc .... their cars . Also the windscreen was frozen solid this morning , whereas i always find , especially with freshly applied Halfords own or Rain X , there is usually very little or no ice formation compared to cars neighbouring my house . Also when leaving work i've been able to jump in the car and go when my colleagues have been busy scraping their windscreens . So like i said . From my experience , and pound for pound the Halfords own brand of rain repellent is far better value as it actually does what it says on the tin , plus that little bit more , it's far cheaper for a big bottle 250ml compared to 15ml of G1 . I can't comment on the G5 as i've never used it . I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same or similar stuff to Halfords own , chemically . They all contain some sort of solvent , usually alcohol .

I don't understand. You "expect" that it "might" do something other than what it says on the tin? You must be fun to go shopping/dining/etc with. I expected that these mussels might taste like steak, but they didn't, so I won't be trying any other shellfish.

Anyway. Try G5 if you want beading at 30mph. Stick to G1 if you're not fussed until 50+mph.

Last edited:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Shopping and dining with me is an absolute blast ;) I'm always open to new ideas , but in the case of the G1 , i think i'll just stick with something that i've tried and tested and does exactly what i want at a relatively low cost and ease of use :D

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You applied it wrong.

Even if the car was sitting still, the water would still be beading and running off (downwards).

G1 doesn't fail. Until I test the new Cquartz G1 is the best on the market.

The fact that others are removed by wiper movement make them a waste of time to me. What's the point?

G1 is very impressive, just a bugger to apply if you're not that experienced...like me!
Rainx is a doddle to apply, which makes it appealing even if it doesn't last long.

Shopping and dining with me is an absolute blast ;) I'm always open to new ideas , but in the case of the G1 , i think i'll just stick with something that i've tried and tested and does exactly what i want at a relatively low cost and ease of use :D

Fair!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
You applied it wrong.

Even if the car was sitting still, the water would still be beading and running off (downwards).

G1 doesn't fail. Until I test the new Cquartz G1 is the best on the market.

The fact that others are removed by wiper movement make them a waste of time to me. What's the point?

I applied it exactly per the instructions . Water doesn't sit on the windscreen as it would if it was untreated . But it also doesn't bead as good as Halfords own from low speeds to motorway speeds .Honestly . Have you actually tried Halfords own rain repellent gally ? Having actually used both the G1 and Halfords own i'm posting my opinions based on my experience of both products . I just don't think the G1 is the be all and end all when it comes to rain repellents . I think it's expensive for what it is and does , it's not as easy to apply time wise as Halfords own stuff . I never need to use my wipers with Halfords own , i do need to with the G1.

I wonder if Autoglym make a rain repellent ? I must do a search for that :approve:

172 cup
I treated mine with G5 yesterday, and had no issues buffing off etc... Only had light rain this morning, but definitely seems like a good product. Bar one sweep when setting off there was no need for wipers... half looking forward to some heavier rain now!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I use whatever came with my PIAA wipers. Still working brilliantly after 2 months.

Wouldn't mind trying this G1 stuff though.

Whats best to buy etc, just read a thread with a guy using g1 then g2 etc.

Complete noob lol.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
G1 is the sealant, G2 is used to remove the residue after application. They come as a kit together, can also get it with G4 glass polish to thoroughly clean the glass before application but not 100% required.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Cheers guys! Will have a read up online/watch the videos about applying it.

Don't want to mess it up.

G2 is IPA basically, so if you run out you can use that to remove the residue.

G4 doesn't come as part of the kit from memory, but is a great glass chemical polish. It doesn't contain any relevant micro-abrasives, however, so don't have visions of it correcting your windscreen.