ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rainx - its brilliant

Clio 172 Cup 03 plat
Tried this?

It's great, especially due to the weather we've been having up here recently.

Can't believe how much better it works than any other (cheaper) brands I've tried.

Worth the price tag for such a wee bottle

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Re: Rainx - the dogs bolloks!

I waxed my windscreen and that worked really well until i used the wipers a few times and the wax all came off :(

Double, but lasts 2-4x the time, is easier to apply and has no danger of smearing.

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Rain X isn't wiper proof. G1 and Nanolex ultra are.

My Nanolex lasted longer than 3 layers of G1 actually.

Not a 320d

G1 for the front screen, rear if has wiper - Its wiper Proof.

Rain Racer for the rest. 3 years + durability yes please.

Golf GT & A4 Avant

Rainx only gets used on the shower screen and house windows. Not a product I would recommend on the windscreen. I'd rather use a synthetic QD.

Have G1 on both cars and wouldn't use anything else, although not tried the nanolex range. Had my windscreen replaced yesterday and it's surprising how much you take G1 for granted, can't apply it yet as its been raining since it was replaced.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1

ive been using the rain x for years too, yes needs re applying once a month, but at the cost and time taken its not biggy.

great in winter too for de icing, makes it much easier.

Red
I'm about to try Bouncers stuff, hopefully it'll be good, I'm sure it will actually.

But G1 is by far the best I've used so far.

Golf GT & A4 Avant

I'm about to try Bouncers stuff, hopefully it'll be good, I'm sure it will actually.

But G1 is by far the best I've used so far.

Didn't know Bouncer was doing glass sealants aswell? thought he only produced Bouncers 22 and Fizz? waxes

If you're having to apply rainx every month then I wouldn't bother, get hold of a bottle of GTechniq G5

Red
Didn't know Bouncer was doing glass sealants aswell? thought he only produced Bouncers 22 and Fizz? waxes

If you're having to apply rainx every month then I wouldn't bother, get hold of a bottle of GTechniq G5

New sealant too yeah, stop drop and roll, putting it on tonight actually.

Bargain price of £8 I'm sure for me too.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1

il take a look when the bottles empty

Will G4 get rid of previous Rain-X application?

Mine is on the smeary side of things but before topping with G1 I'd like a fresh base to work from...

Should do, but a decent G101 soak followed by clay followed by G4 will ensure a good surface to bond to.

A4 130
I dont think rain x lasts that long when it rains alot. I need to buy something better, what would be best for a rear window with no wiper long term wise?

Lotus Elise
I use RainX on my visor and love the stuff. Also use the rainX antifog stuff on the inside works very well.

197 FF Glacier White
Rain X isn't as good as it used to be. They've had to bow to the Eurocrats and change the ingredients over the last few years. It used to be good enough to use on aircraft windows, but we don't use it anymore, a bottle that used to last years now lasts weeks as it needs constant re-application, I guess whatever was in it that made it so good was a bit 'dodgy"! Airlines now use another product, name escapes me but it lasts a lot longer and is as good as if not better than Rain X, it's commercially available so I'll find out the brand and let you know.

G

Golf GT & A4 Avant
G5 works at 30mph, is easier to apply as only needs one coat then buff off, lasts for maybe 6months.

G1 works at higher speeds and not quite so well below 40-50mph, harder to apply as requires 3 coats, an ipa mix to remove residue, but lasts for 1 - 2 years

Clio 172 Cup 03 plat
Agree you have to re-apply Rainx monthly if it rains a lot.

Might try something else mentioned on here

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
i have always used turtlewax glass polish with great results. still sheets after almost 8months of beeing on the screen.

must give this gtec melark a go tho

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Had a new windscreen Monday and the weather hasn't been good enough to apply any sealant, and daily driving in the rain has been aweful. I didn't realise just how much I took it for granted.

G1 applied last night and driving to work in the rain this morning I used my wipers maybe a dozen times on a 20mile commute.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
G1? I've had it on the wifes car since September and nothing apart from washing regularly has been used on it and it's still the same as when it was applied. think 1year plus easily, probably 2

Holy hell that nanolex ultra is a rip off £30 for 30ml of the stuff how can they justify that price! Sure it may be the best of the best but for that tiny amount I'm out! Lol must be a fool to pay that I'm gonna try G1

/rant over

(I hate corporations)

Just found this video that sums up G1 pretty well I think!

The left half has no coating, right has G1.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Golf GT & A4 Avant
^ there is another video somewhere with it used on an off-road buggy that's quite impressive.

G1 is >£10 for only 15ml, but you don't use very much and considering how long they last for, £30 broken down to cost per application per durabilty compared to regular application of lesser products the outline cost is highly competitive. think C4 at £20 - £25 comapred to a normal trim dressing for sub £10.