ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ran on flat tyre

Hey guys,

I had two P Zeros fitted a few days ago.
Two days later I went to drive my car and it was steering all over the place after 100 Meters or so I pulled over to find the tyre completely flat.

I drove 100 meters back home took the wheel off to try and locate the puncture but couldn't find anything.

I took the tyre to fill it up with air and it is still holding air at the moment but as a precaution I thought I would take it to a tyre centre (kwick fit) for them to check it over as it was Sunday there is no other option.

They looked at it and said it needs replacing because it had been run flat and quoted me £120 for a new tyre.

I have attached some pictures just to see what you guys think of the damage. I am going to take it to another tyre centre in the morning for a second look.

Thanks

a3ega6ep.jpg
zatyryja.jpg
amuzy2y8.jpg
6aru8e4e.jpg

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I think they're trying it on personally. . If its brand new maybe it was fitted incorrectly.

I wouldn't run on a tyre like that, take it to the place that fitted it and tell them it was incorrectly fitted

I don't know if I will struggle because I bought the tyres online and just took them to be fitted. Do you think I have a chance of them being fitted incorrectly?

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
You paid for a fitting service and if there's no puncture then I would say it's a fitting issue. . Driving a few hundred yards is unlikely to do major damage imo

Cup In bits
Sounds like the bead didn't seal properly until it deflated and was worked onto the rim, it happens some times. You won't have a leg to stand on if you brought the tyres in although you can try.

I would happily run that tyre from the pics but its hard to tell without seeing and feeling it, the metal structure could be damaged or bulged. Personally I would chuck it on the rear (some will disagree) and see how it goes.

Tbh I'd run it on my personal car but on the front. A front wheel blow out is alot more controllable than a rear...

I will take it to another place and see what they say hopefully they will say that it's okay.
If they take the tyre off and the inside of the tyre wall isn't damaged then I assume it would be okay.

Advise not to use the car until you take it back to the tyre fitters to have it checked. The condition of the interior sidewall may well be worse than the exterior damage due to compression chafing / run flat damage. If enough damage has been caused within the '100 metres' that's been driven its highly likely to form bulges leading to blowouts, where the rubber folds onto itself and wears the interior sidewall rubber away to the cords making it much weaker.

Nick

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
When I worked in a tyre bay I wouldn't let you drive with that on a car get the tyre off n look inside see how much tyre has turned in shavings looks like more than 100 meter drive mate just on the exterior that being said it hasn't sealed at the bead to start with which makes sh!t fit at blame

When I worked in a tyre bay I wouldn't let you drive with that on a car get the tyre off n look inside see how much tyre has turned in shavings looks like more than 100 meter drive mate just on the exterior that being said it hasn't sealed at the bead to start with which makes sh!t fit at blame

Literary down the road and back. It did have zero pressure in it.
It wasn't originally quick fit that fitted the tyre it was an independent tyre place I just took it to kwickfit for them to have a look.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
for experience it looks shot but wont know until you check the inside of the tyre.

the place that fitted them probably didn't clean up the bead correctly so hasn't sealed.