ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rattle can on the leggeras

Fancied a colour change (mid life crisis lol) on the superleggeras.

so to help decide on colours i cracked the spray paint out ! Not looking too bad just 3 more to do.

IMAG0023.jpg
IMAG0024.jpg
IMAG1260.jpg
IMAG1262.jpg
IMAG1269.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  Teg
Look bang on them.

I'm about to attack my wheels with a rattle can, since yours look so good any chance you could give some pointers?... Prepped them already with 250 and then 400 wet and dry, got tac cloths, thinners, etch primer etc.. Just unsure on drying times (I know it can vary depending on certain factors) but what's a rough guide? How many coats, do I have to leave primer 24 hours to dry before paint, how soon can I apply lacquer to paint?

Thanks

Cheers all.

I just flatted them back using 400 grit paper then upto 800 and 1200
Used high build primer and applied around 3 coats with around an hour between each and then whapped it in the shed for 24hrs.

Then put as many coats of colour as i could get out of 500ml can leaving an hour between each and again left 24hrs

Same again with clear lacquer as many as i could get out of a can. Hour between coats and left 48hrs before fitting back to the car.

With prepping its taking around one week per wheel (after work)

Its hard to find that fine line of putting too much paint and lacquer on so it doesnt run and not enough so you have a rough finish.

Tip - don't rush

Renault Clio
Why don't you use a hot air gun or hair dryer to speed up drying times? Better than waiting days?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
@MartinR you did a more professional job than I did!

I keyed, filled, smoothed, primered and painted mine in a couple of days!

That said they were satin and you can see the imperfections.

What paint did you use? I'm holding out redoing mine until I get some 2k paint and lacquer

Renault Clio
Heat doesn't cause runs if you do it correct, it will thin the paint a little bit moderate heat will speed up the process. But if your in no rush, hey ho, all is good