ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rattling top end help!

Lionel Richie
right i'm 100% baffled by this, i've had the thing apart, cams out, tappets ultrasonically cleaned, put it back together, timing is spot on and its making this noise still

th_MOV00036.jpg

anyone got any ideas? the only other thing i can think is depasher/exhaust pulley

Lionel Richie
noise is rpm related, ie the high the rpm the faster the rattle, almost like the cam is hitting something

compression test showed nothing wrong

ITB'd MK1
had something slightly similar with a nissan engine where the lifters had been squeezed in a vice by another garage and all the internals had been smashed, had to change 12 out of 16. Were the lifters firming up ok?

Lionel Richie
yeah that was what i was thinking, but this car had cams fitted by "a company" so its possible, they were all solid when they came out

Iceberg 172 Cup
i had the exact same problem mate, check my recent threads (includes video too), change the tappets! cleaning wont have any effect.

and also try some Wynns Hydraulic Valve Lifter Treatment. £6.99 from halfords, ips in with oil!

Lionel Richie
hum, i might raid the shed and see what i have, i do have a complete set out of an F4R turbo (big block) engine, worth a punt!

a thirsty one
have you checked all the spark plugs are tight, sounds silly i know but i have one work loose in my old 106gti and made real racket. had to get it helicoiled back in.

Lionel Richie
right good news i've got a spare set of tappets, only thing is they're all squidgey, they haven't been used for a few years, wing it or buy new ones???

ITB'd MK1
right good news i've got a spare set of tappets, only thing is they're all squidgey, they haven't been used for a few years, wing it or buy new ones???

clean em out with de-greaser then drop in a tub of oil over-night. give them a squeeze in the oil too.

That's a hell of a noise to be coming from the mill of one of the country's top [ex] Renault tuners. Sounds like a demented wood pecker. How come you did'nt just bell Yozza and his team of ace race mechanics for an instant diagnosis, or are you persona non grata in that quarter? lol

Lionel Richie
they're all in spain testing the porsche for the lemans series;)

and this has nothing to do with yozzasport, and we're still very good mates, so cork it :rasp:

Yea sounds like a noisey lifter. You ordered new ones yet?? As i may have a brand new set, ready soaked in oil.

I got a new set for free, didnt realize theye were worth £320! Usually messes em up if theyre squeezed or cleaned when theyre removed. They sometimes do stop rattling though, maybe worth a good thrap in 2nd before you strip it again.