ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RB 182 Cup tidy up

RB 182 Cup
It has been suggested that a project thread on my recently acquired 182 Cup might be well received and would provide me with a reminder of the journey of getting the car back up together...

Found on Facebook, I purchased the car from a guy in Glastonbury, nice and local to me. I was looking either for a 172 Cup or 182 Cup in RB for about £2000, to help share the miles I’ve been putting on my 981 Cayman S. Anyway, here are the photos of the car from the advert:

RB 182 Cup
The car was pretty good mechanically (or so I thought) but was quite rough cosmetically.
First job to be completed was the parking dents taken out by a painless dent removal guy. Unfortunately I have no photos of this. Next was a replacement parcel shelf:

Then, some silvervision bulbs and Bosch aero wiper blades:

Replacing the rear indicator bulbs turned into a bit of an epic job, due to corrosion in the lamp plugs.

RB 182 Cup
A whole day was spent wet vacuuming the interior and steam cleaning the seat belts which were absolutely minging! ??
Unfortunately no photos of this task either, but that maybe just as well!

I also followed a suggestion on the forum to soak the radio screen surround in dettol to remove the sticky rubberised coating. Overall it took 2 days of soaking, I stunk the house out, but it worked! I then gave the resultant naked trim a coat of dark grey plastic paint, that is close but slightly lighter than the rest of the interior plastics.

Before:

RB 182 Cup
I’ve also replaced the gear knob, heater control panel and fitted the Renault Sport carpet mats:

It’s starting to get to where I want it to be now!

Jobs still to be done:
Major service
Diagnose abs, traction control and service lights coming on (code indicates an internal pump fault)
Buy & fit Cup splitter
Fit new dab radio
Replace drivers interior door handle
Fix rattles from passenger door and instrument cluster
Obtain, refurb and fit a set of Turini’s
Paint / vapour blast inlet manifold, plenum, timing belt top cover and fuel rail guard

RB 182 Cup
Bit of an update for those that are interested...

The major service is done, along with front discs and pads and a pair of OE track rod ends. I've also bought a cheap set of Turini's and I'm part way through refurbing them. Going Anthracite, but did consider white. I've also had my steering wheel retrimmed by Snappy, which has made a massive difference. Absolutely love the perforated leather thumb grips and the 12 o'clock band! Oh, and the head unit was replaced ages ago.
Finally, I've just got the car back from a couple of smart repairs to the front and rear bumper, and had the car machine polished as it looked like it had been cleaned using wire wool and breeze blocks for 14 years!

Still got the splitter to do, and want to lower it. Cook Sport, Eibach or Apex? ?

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Good work there ?. Don't go cooksport springs, they are quite firm. The turini's are coming along well, I really should start to refurb some of the wheels I've got stashed away before they completely rot away?.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Bit of an update for those that are interested...

The major service is done, along with front discs and pads and a pair of OE track rod ends. I've also bought a cheap set of Turini's and I'm part way through refurbing them. Going Anthracite, but did consider white. I've also had my steering wheel retrimmed by Snappy, which has made a massive difference. Absolutely love the perforated leather thumb grips and the 12 o'clock band! Oh, and the head unit was replaced ages ago.
Finally, I've just got the car back from a couple of smart repairs to the front and rear bumper, and had the car machine polished as it looked like it had been cleaned using wire wool and breeze blocks for 14 years!

View attachment 1430232

View attachment 1430233

View attachment 1430234

View attachment 1430235

Still got the splitter to do, and want to lower it. Cook Sport, Eibach or Apex? ?
Grams

RB 182 Cup
Don’t worry everyone, the stripes are staying! They were on from factory, and I like them too!

I read loads and loads of threads on here about lowering springs, and the H&Rs seemed to have the best reviews, so I’ve ordered a set. 😁

RB 182 Cup
Just found that the first owner was a Clio sport member, and sold it to the second owner who was also on here. Found the advert when the second owner sold it on:
Old Advert

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
@David James

In all honesty the eibach give a slightly better ride so are usually the choice for a more road orientated car. But for me the h&r despite being slightly harsher day to day, sit better, made better and work better for occasional track

RB 182 Cup
Bit of an update on the Cup. I finished the wheels and put the H&Rs on. The car looks much better, but they are right on the limit of harshness for me. I even considered taking them back off before I got used to them. I’ve also fitted a new set of Michelin’s to the wheels, and they helped the harshness too I think. (P-zeros were on it before).

28DB8ABE-DD71-4C6D-AC6A-629AB6857928.jpeg

I also used the lockdown to tidy up the engine bay, according to the Clio sport FB page, most other people have been too!

E8F5D66F-19F0-4CCD-9AD7-1947E23BC8FD.jpeg

Much better!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
yeah as mentioned the eibach definitely provide a better daily experience but the H&R just perform that much better as an all rounder.

RB 182 Cup
Looks great!

Did you get to the bottom of that dash light problem? I'm having the same problem at the moment.
Thanks! Yes I did. It was a dodgy non genuine brake light switch. It worked in that the bulbs came on, but the esp was getting the signal either too early or too late. Fitted an oe one and that fixed it. Phew!

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Good progress.

RB's seem to be getting the love at present, some really nice ones about.