ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Re: Car feels twitchy & floaty, and clunks over speed bumps/potholes.

106 GTi
Hi All,

My Girlfriend bought a black 172 a few months ago now from a garage in newcastle.

So far she has had a reconned gearbox (Blew up on the journey home, literally sheared the teeth and cracked casing, the garage refused to give her a refund over the phone and she was 80 miles away)
Cambelt & dephaser pulleys
Exhaust rubber
Basic Service
Tracking (Mechanic said they were the incorrect track/tie rod ends :S )
Bolts missing all over the engine bay :S

So now were upto it running smoothly ish..

When driving the car the back end feels floaty and when going over bumps you can hear a loud clunking, NSR Damper has gone and I will be changing this at the weekend, but I have a feeling this won't cure everything...

So after replacing the damper, I will be looking to change the rear beam bushes (I will inspect them for cracks/movement when I change the damper) but does anyone have any suggestions as to what could cause these problems?

Cheers

Boyes'

172 Cup,
Rear damper for sure, just changed one on my cup and the difference is unreal. You'll be surprised how much better it feels.

PH1 172
With the symptoms you are describing, it defo sounds like the rear shock mate. After the luck you had so far I hope it is just that mate.

106 GTi
Well i replaced the rear shocker, a doddle! The cars not floaty anymore, but there's still a knocking when going over bumps so I'm going to check the strut tops when I get hold of a swan neck spanner, and also check the drop links.

Cheers

106 GTi
Im having the same problem Boyes with the Floaty feel? Is it as if your not in control of the back end??

Hi, just a quick update I have so far fixed the problem (touch wood!) :D
After replacing the rear shocker,
Front track rod ends, and tracking, Anti roll bar bushes, both rear springs.
And as of today rear wheel bearings, geniune ofc (and discs & pads) the floaty feel has gone, steering is tight it stick to the road, but doesn't feel like the back end is going to over take you if you turn any more. It feels like you are in full control of the car, and thankfully my Partner has fallen back in love with the car!

We still have a knock on at the front occasionally (garage did tell us the location for the ball joint is very slightly oval, but poses no problem) so to anyone that after replacing the shocks & springs has floaty steering I would recommend replacing rear wheel bearings, it's not difficult just a pain if the bearing doesn't come
off in one piece like it did to me.

Btw, there were no symptoms of failing wheel bearings no noises until, the last few weeks!

Thanks for the help guys!