ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

re priming hydraulic lifters/tappets

Clio 172, Volvo XC90
I have a bit of a top end rattle after the last track day. Just put a new belt and dephaser so I know its not that. So thinking it's lifters /tappets it sounds verry much like they have gone dry.

I have 3 full sets of tappets spare and not sure what state there in so how do I re prime them. Renault manual says compress them and then soke in diesel oil.

Any one had any experience re priming them

Hi, I have the same question. I'm putting engine back together and I dont know what to do with lifters, I can't push it together it's solid, but I can rotate it, so I have different informations. Dialogys says the same like @C3WYT, but one mechanic which worked on Renault say, I should squeeze them with power so the oil go out and then put it in the engine. The car is Clio 172. Sorry for my bad English.
Thanks

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
you can squeeze them in a vice if you're careful not to go too far, just get them moving slightly, do not just go as far as you can or you will break springs inside the lifter.

Cranking the engine over with injectors and coil unplugged will do enough to re-prime them if you get oil pressure up (10 second bursts of cranking on the key)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
As Dan has said. Squeeze oil out (I use squeeze clamps as they aren't as forceful as a vice). Crank the engine a bit.

Doing it this way allows the valve clearances to be set correctly as you can over prime them. Then you can get issues with valve clearances, compression etc.