ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

re-routing air feed

Vectra :(
hi

After finally getting my zorst sorted and my sports cat on its time for a little tweeking of the incoming air. Ordered an ITG panel filter already and was just wondering. Seen a few cars on here with the feed relocated to the front bumper. Had a quick look and space looks very tight down there. I was going to route to a fog light but then looking at the few i have seen in the bumper it looks good. Can anyone who has done it advise on the diameter of the cold air feed pipe i would need and also the length and how much of an arse it is to do? Possible even a breif description of the route they used. I am only asking as not had chance to take things off yet to see the route myself.

Cheers

RenaultSport clio 172
Lam7r said:
hi

After finally getting my zorst sorted and my sports cat on its time for a little tweeking of the incoming air. Ordered an ITG panel filter already and was just wondering. Seen a few cars on here with the feed relocated to the front bumper. Had a quick look and space looks very tight down there. I was going to route to a fog light but then looking at the few i have seen in the bumper it looks good. Can anyone who has done it advise on the diameter of the cold air feed pipe i would need and also the length and how much of an arse it is to do? Possible even a breif description of the route they used. I am only asking as not had chance to take things off yet to see the route myself.

Cheers

THe preffered and harder way of doing it requires you to remove the acousting valve etc, and put the feed by the passengers side low grill. This invloves taking off the bumbper which isnt hard, but a right pain. If you get a 75mm diameter feed, it will fit under the injector unit (or over and in front of it), down past the alternator, and emerge by the drivers side lower grille. I did this and it took me about 10 mins, a much easier way of doing business.

although easier doenst putting it on the drivers side mean the cold air has to travel further to the box and will therefore heat up more than it would on the passenger side or indeed the original feed.

182 Trophy No. 223
noo, it would be passenger side mate, run it down the battery side, and then out by the bottom of teh rad and int o the front grille

cheers m8, any ideas how much pipe i will need? about 1.5 meters to be sure or will i get away with a meter?

RenaultSport clio 172
Lam7r said:
although easier doenst putting it on the drivers side mean the cold air has to travel further to the box and will therefore heat up more than it would on the passenger side or indeed the original feed.

possibly yes, but the difference would be negligable

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Dont bother with the grille route. Remove the acoustic valve and run the pipe right down to the base of the nearside arch liner where there is a vent angling air upwards behind the foglight. Just perfect for an uprated feed. This also keeps the feed as short and straight as possible maximising air flow.

RenaultSport clio 182 cup
Hi, I am new to the clio and do not know much about the car. I have just bought the Renault 182 Cup ex press car. The one featured in January 2005 Evo mag and beat cars alot more expensive! Very impressed with the car as standard! I used to own a 300bhp Focus RS. Although the 182 could not keep with my FRS modified. (Not much could. Even a Evo FQ400 struggled). I think the 182 would keep up in the right conditions if my FRS was standard. But the 182 is so much fun to drive and the best 10k Ive ever spent! So far I have fitted a K&N panel filter and had it on the rollers at 182bhp with a very straight power curve. Awesome performance! I am looking at altering the air feed but was wondering, what is this acoustic valve thingy and what is it supposed to do? Also I noticed that in the base of the air filter box, it has two holes. One that joins the feed from behind the n/s headlight. Is the bottom hole an air feed or just a drainage hole for water? Also, I am looking for a nice sounding zorst that is not to chavish, but has a nice sporty note to it. Any ideas?

Clio 172 mk2
You'll find the acoustic valve at the end of the long intake tract from the airbox...follow the duct down behind the headlight and you'll find a plastic, tube shaped thing which is this valve.

I believe this valve is operated via engine speed to alter the length of the intake therefore increasing torque at certain rpm levels.

Personally after what I have read about how engines are affected by intake length I'd leave it in place.

182 Full Fat
Neil G said:
You'll find the acoustic valve at the end of the long intake tract from the airbox...follow the duct down behind the headlight and you'll find a plastic, tube shaped thing which is this valve.

I believe this valve is operated via engine speed to alter the length of the intake therefore increasing torque at certain rpm levels.

Personally after what I have read about how engines are affected by intake length I'd leave it in place.

So this valve in theory opens and closes the standard cold air feed to the air box?:S

Focus ST
Sounds all very confusing to me.

Does anybody fancy doing a guide with some pics?? :approve:

J

JEFF4507

Daze, if anyone tells you to spray your intake "trumpets":rasp: black again, simply direct them to a picture of a Nowack N500. Then ask them to say it's not cool!

Very nice, I might follow suit if I can find a decent induction kit (am also thinking of buying an open cone and building a carbon fibre box myself).

J

JEFF4507

Couldn't resist posting it myself :cool:

Such an animal.

bluewater_nowack.jpg

P.S. Those arean't pipercross and you only have one :rasp:​

182 Full Fat
Daze, so have you removed the acoustic valve thingy altogether now? Because you have replaced the c.a.f? Slightly confused:S