ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Really tight Tie Rod - good or bad?

172DD Cup
i replaced both tie rods about four months ago. one moves fairly freely with no play, one is so tight that if i use a spanner to turn the bar itself, it undoes the joint at the steering rack. so, defo no play, but very very stiff. good or bad?

172DD Cup
anyone? with the rack off the car i can lift the whole rack just by holding the tie rod, and it doesn't move in it's socket

clio sport 182
i replaced both tie rods about four months ago. one moves fairly freely with no play, one is so tight that if i use a spanner to turn the bar itself, it undoes the joint at the steering rack. so, defo no play, but very very stiff. good or bad?
well i am also thinking to do that one on mine but i guess the best way is to see it first in action. lol u should try it now then i will wait for your feedback.kidding. so you will be using only a spanner for that tie rod end? i think there are other tools that we could use check this out http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?553441-Tie rod-tool

172DD Cup
i've since discovered that it's not what's causing my problem. even with both tie rods disconnected from the hubs, i can still feel feint knocking so it's either column or rack

with regards to tool to remove tie rods, i did what fred did, i got a 32/36mm viscous spanner. they are much narrower than standard spanners. i cut the 32mm head off and used it in conjunction with mole grips. works a treat :)