ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Really want a 172 cup but...

Titanium 182 w/ cup packs
The only thing i cant get my head round is no ABS. Am I being stupid and worrying about nothing or not?

Cheers Matt.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
it is, the amount of cups that get written off over winter, also the insurance companies that are refusing to provide insurance for the cup because of the numbers written off, yet non-cup variants are still insured. So I don't think you can say it isn't an issue.

Leon Cupra 300
You can get insurance, ive not had any problems... and its pretty cheap too with directline.

ive driven cars with and without abs. On those with it i've never had it kick in once,, its all about how sensable you are, if its cold, wet, icy, you drive slow. simple.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I didn't say you couldn't insure them, I just said some insurance companies are starting to refuse to. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how good a driver you are, you can't account for those rare occasions where having ABS could save you from crashing.

M2 Competition
The cars ive driven with it have scared me more tbh, but it does take some getting used to.

Will make you a better driver learning to brake properly without it.

When abs kicks in, and the brakes go hard and judder, its sh1t ya pants time, same as it is when the wheels lock up and you skid.

Just dont race it in the winter, its daft to anyway...

Leon Cupra 300
yeah i just meant ive not had any issue with insurance companies refusing to insure...

i think if you are a good driver youd be able to stop aswel as abs in any situation, its only when abs is used in conjunction with various stability controls and brake distribution systems could they 'really' help you not havbing an accident

Nicksie

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 CUP
had to pull out the anchors the other day, started to slide but i was on the white line, just took foot of brake and hit it even harder, stopped me no problems. don;t need abs!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
This is a good buy he looks after this car very well regardless of cost if I was looking for one I would have this one. I dont know the lad personally but he lives down the road from me I heard from his neighbour he loves this car. Not sure if its a cup http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/CARS_popup.asp?modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=RENAULT&model=CLIO&variant=172&keywords=&min_pr=75&max_pr=&mileage=&agerange=&postcode=wv10+6jz&miles=40&max_records=50&source=1&photo=1&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH&start=6&distance=0&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200631244494095

172 Cup
^^^^^

I can concur with that statement. Driving my cup in the summer is fantastic, but you have to air on the side of caution in the winter.

M2 Competition
FredYozzasport said:
if you drive like a dick you'll crash and die in a cup

Thats why fred owns a v6... :rasp:

Erm, hang on a minute, thats worse... :S

Nice article in ppc btw fella ;)

M2 Competition
Thats ok fella, i was just playing with ya and mocking your use of grammar. Lol, no probs.

Hehe, ok smokey x

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
m14rk said:
This is a good buy he looks after this car very well regardless of cost if I was looking for one I would have this one. I dont know the lad personally but he lives down the road from me I heard from his neighbour he loves this car. Not sure if its a cup http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/CARS_popup.asp?modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=RENAULT&model=CLIO&variant=172&keywords=&min_pr=75&max_pr=&mileage=&agerange=&postcode=wv10+6jz&miles=40&max_records=50&source=1&photo=1&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH&start=6&distance=0&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200631244494095

Following bits give it away that its NOT a cup

passenger air bags,abs,air con with climate control,6cd autochanger, xenon headlights,rain sensing wipers, half leather and alcantara seats

Donny

Golf 7R
If your asking if no ABS is an issue then to you it obviously is matey, i for one think you drive to your ability and not like a tw@ then your be fine, u drive like a di*k you can die in any car ABS or not, go for the vannesa feltz 172!

Monaco Blue 172
Peperami said:
Will make you a better driver learning to brake properly without it.
ie. what doesnt kill u can only make u stronger...?

personally, i wouldnt take the chance! totally agree with what Gareth posted earlier. it only takes one nitwit to pull out in front of u without warning and its bye bye... :dead:

look at it this way, abs was developed because there is a need for it. i think that says it all really ;)

Leon Cupra 300
theyd be a need for it if you aint capable of modulatig the brakes yourself, no other reason.

M2 Competition
jooliona said:
ie. what doesnt kill u can only make u stronger...?

personally, i wouldnt take the chance! totally agree with what Gareth posted earlier. it only takes one nitwit to pull out in front of u without warning and its bye bye... :dead:

look at it this way, abs was developed because there is a need for it. i think that says it all really ;)

But if that happens with abs, the brakes just judder, the abs kicks in, it feels fecking horrible, and you dont slow down much.

But agree with the above, if you're worried about it, dont get a cup.

Monaco Blue 172
well, i've never skidded off the road before until i was driving a non-abs car recently...!

i think abs braking would still slow u down more than a skid does. plus u still have control of the cars direction etc

Monaco Blue 172
philmots said:
theyd be a need for it if you aint capable of modulatig the brakes yourself, no other reason.
then why do more and more cars have it fitted as standard these days? crazy people!!! :rolleyes: u cant argue with the stats (well u can try...)

I have had both ABS and none ABS cars and now i own the cup, at the end of the day driving a 2.0. 16v stupidly with abs or not will end up the same way.... in a wall. To be honest the cup is more of a hardcore drivers car and if you feel like thats not what you want go for the FF for sure.

I love my cup apart from the stupid things that go wrong with it!!! lol

172 Exclusive... For Sale
ABS? What the hell is that? My Pug Rallye didn't have it, Golf Gti didn't have it and the Cup doesn't have it...

As aforementioned, if you think you can't control a car without it then don't get one. Have you driven a car without it? If you have then you know where you stand surely?

Leon Cupra 300
jooliona said:
then why do more and more cars have it fitted as standard these days? crazy people!!! :rolleyes: u cant argue with the stats (well u can try...)

because its a good thing for 99% of drivers out there who are completley incapable and unable to control a car in more or less any situation, never mind a potential accident situation.!!!

Anyone who actually understands car control and are a capable driver shouldnt have a problem having no abs:)

Monaco Blue 172
philmots said:
because its a good thing for 99% of drivers out there who are completley incapable and unable to control a car in more or less any situation, never mind a potential accident situation.!!!

Anyone who actually understands car control and are a capable driver shouldnt have a problem having no abs:)
and what about the people who THINK they understand car control blah blah and then find out at the vital moment that they're not as smart as they thought they were... too late then isnt it!

basically if he's even asking the question then i think its already been answered...!

M2 Competition
Lets all have a group hug.

Altogether now people, breathe in and, release, aaaaaahhhh.

Thats soothing now isnt it :)

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
This is usually age related, when your young dumb & full of come & can't see past your next pint, spliff or shag..........who cares, your invincible.

But as you get older you value your health/ familly etc more than say your car ( it is just a metal box) & so ABS etc is a must!!!!!!!!

Remember speed don't kill you...........................the f**king stops do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go for it - when I was getting quotes is was actually cheaper to insure a cup than a normal 172 (i was going to say full fat, but I don't really like that term)

Unless you drive everywhere with the abs kicking in there shouldn't be a problem, just remember to take it easy in the wet/ice etc.

BLK RSC172
ive been drivin my 172 round for a few months now and the only thing i really dislike about it is the abs....
i really feel like disconecting it at times.....

i recon i could break faster with out it....
how ever if im in a lazy mood it would be the other way

I have a feeling this post might be quite long and rambling :eek:

ABS is something nice to have for those unforseen times when people pull out etc. However, as a driver, you should always know that you can stop within the distance of your line of site. In other words, its no excuse that you rounded a bend and there was a horse or a cyclist - these are just things you have to expect as a driver. Expect the unexpected. Dont get me wrong, I give my 182 death when conditions allow, bt I'll always drive within my limits and my line of sight. If I cant see far ahead enough to stop at the speed I'm going then I'll be driving like Miss Daisy. I think this is something you learn with driving experience, and GENERALLY (discalimer) younger, less experienced drivers have not yet learnt this skill, which leads me on nicely to...

...the notion that all the Cups are getting written off because they dont have ABS. The Cups are not crashing, their (GENERALLY) younger drivers are crashing*. If you are about to crash because you've taken a bend too quickly, then you're going to bin it in a hedge regardless of whether or not you have ABS. ABS doesnt perform miracles. It wont make you stop any quicker. It doesnt mean your braking power remains the same as it was before the tyres lost grip. You'll still end up in the field. The only difference being the pedal will be hammering under your foot. Granted, ABS allows you to steer, but if you have already gotten out of shape then the odds are you're still going to be toast. My thoughts are that it certainly cant harm your chances of making it out the other side of the bend with a full compliment of wheels and no soil and grass jammed in your grill, but if you're a decent driver, you dont actually NEED ABS. The irony is that the people who do NEED it probably dont have the reactions to steer around an obstacle anyway.

ABS does have one massive drawback. Snow. In the Clio, at least, the ABS is so sensitive you literally cannot brake in the snow. Without it, the fronts dig into snow and cause a plough effect which slows the car. With it, you just sail on with almost zero braking effect at all. The Clio is my first car that has ABS and I was shocked at its braking in these conditions. You have to almost completely use gears to slow a Clio 182 in the snow. More so than in any other car I've driven (without ABS) I was a doubter of this concept until I first drove the 182 in snow...it's quite weird just feeling the pedal bounce back at you on the slightest feathering of your foot, while the car glides on regardless. Also the 182 is a DOG on compacted snow, zero grip, traction control on or off. Several months ago I was going backwards down a slight inlcine while trying to pull away in 3rd & even 4th, with traction on or off. Anyway thats a different topic...

ABS can also be a pain in the 'arris when you're driving even reasonably close to the limits. It'll often kick in when a wheel passes over a ripple or a bump when you know full well you have ample stopping distance left. I would prefer the Clio system to be slightly less sensitive, although I dont really have a frame of reference, as I've never given death to someone elses ABS equipped car :clown:

*These are the general views of Mr R Munson Esq. They are in no way linked to Cliosport.net. Cliosport.net will not accept any responsibilty if these views trigger 30 pages or discussion of young drivers