ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Reaosnably priced DSLR with good ISO sensor in it? Nikon

Not a 320d
Can anyone recommend one? D60 is starting to piss me off. Anything above 400 ISO and it looks grainy. I can edit sure, but when you can see the grain in the photos when you preview on the camera itself it starts to get a bit shitty. Especially when I see you lot posting images at 2000 ISO and they look like mine do at 200 ISO - A_Cro's image:

8262937175_aeef34bac2_c.png

I would invest in a D5100 if it was really worth it, but at my level I think it would be a bit excessive although I guess I could always grow into it.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I think the D5100 is not above your level, I’ve had one after my first DSLR a D40 and it isn’t much more advanced, just more modern and performs a lot better. And with D5100’s being so cheap I’d recommend it highly, it has the same sensor as my D7000, so you’re getting a lot of performance for the money and should be a big improvement over your D60.

Not a 320d
Cheers, do you think a 3100 would be a better bet, saw people recommending that in here? Or would the images be better under low light. More concerned about the grain! Its rarely sunny here so sometimes have to crank the ISO up.

Z4
I've got a d5100, I came from a d40 and its no more 'advanced'.
Nice camera that works well at all isos, the pull out view finder is ace

'An underexposed image can produce as much or more noise as an image shot at a higher ISO'

Some straight from the camera examples would be useful...

Not a 320d
Ill get saving then buddy! D7000 is a bit excessive for me in terms of price but I can easily come up with D5100 money.

Tangoed Works
Just picked up a d5100 with a 35mm 1.8. Massive step up from my old 350d that lasted me 6 yrs. a lot more to learn but the images are cracking so far. £75 combined cash back on those two as well.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Compared to a 5100?

5200 is just too expensive! Prices seem to go for £350 body only brand new on a 5100

Isn't a D90 better than a d5100? I'm out of touch with all these newer models. D90 has te focussing motor in the body.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
D90's a better camera, but the D5100 has a better sensor iirc.

Go for the d5100 Toby, I have one FYI. Only thing I can say against it is the lack of AF motor.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
If the d5100 is still entry level ish I would be concerned about the ability to change settings outside of the menu. Better cameras have better buttons on the body, which come in handy when you get better as it saves going into the menu.

Not a 320d
Im still new to all this. So long as I can produce some decent photos with it then ill be happy.

Luke, cheers for that. Didnt know it could be had for that cheap. Earned most of that off already this week so might treat myself come new year.

I will probably require an 18-55 or above lens with it too as ill be selling that with my D60. Also a want a 100mm macro.

Not a 320d
Rekon I should learn to shoot properly then ;). I might do it later on Im off to work in a bit.

Should I wait till Jan also do you think stuff will be cheaper by then?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Yes lol ! I had my first D-SLR for at least 18 months before I was completely done with it. Most (if not all) of the time when I got a bad shot, it was me that made it so.

'Stuff' is always getting cheaper, but then there'll be something new out.

What do you generally shoot in ? Full manual / Auto / shutter/aperture priority mode ? Do you leave the ISO on auto ?

Not a 320d
apeture priority all the time. Not figured shutter out yet. Didnt think it mattered too much!

I change ISo when required but usually 100-200, WB is changed all the time depending on weather.

Not a 320d
That f**king pigeon is there daily too so should be able to get more of the f**king ugly thing for comparason.

Also, the pigeon is 1/200. Looked at other peoples bird photos (Like the one in the ive taken a pic thread) and they are more like 1/800 or 1/1000. So I will learn to shoot in manual mode now.

I will also try shooting some running water maybe to see what happens...

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I think you're trying to run before you can walk ...

I've had an SLR since I was about 10 (still got my old Zenit thing which was 30 yrs old when I was given it!!) and now with advanced DSLRs, I let the camera do the work for me !

I normally shoot Aperture priority as there's no point taking 10 shots trying to get one that's OK, when the camera does half the work for you... chances are the moment will have passed by the time you've dialed in your shutter speed.

Obviously there's a time and a place for full manual (and full auto TBH - as long as you can cope with the death of small fluffy baby animals every time you press the shutter) but really, there's no point trying to do EVERYTHING yourself 100% of the time IMO. Until you're 95% happy you fully understand how everything works and links together (I still don't 100% understand it but I'd say I've a pretty good understanding!) just take it easy.

Friend of mine has recently bought a DSLR and thought he was being clever going into M mode .. he was coming out with the worst photos I've ever seen (I'm not going to even mention his composition) until I asked why he was shooting such high f numbers. He thought f/18 meant larger hole so more light - when as you know (right?) the whole concept is reversed.

Simple things like that can screw you over as a noob (or even an old hand!!)... and ruin your shots.

Have you got any filters on your lenses ? If so, take them off - unless it's a polariser and you're shooting in bright sunshine for instance.

I don't think those pics are bad at all... I certainly wouldn't be looking to replace my camera just yet in any case ;)

Also - never delete a shot until you've seen it on the computer properly (not sure where you're deleting them) !! The amount I've dismissed on the camera screen and the amount I've thought was 'the' shot until I've got home and been surprised/disappointed is unreal...

If you decide you want to move away from the big brands - look at the Pentax K30. Such a superb camera and excellent for low light.

Not a 320d
£450 a bit much TBQH!

Rob, thanks Ill have a play about with it and see what I can learn then. As I said I usually shoot in Aperture Priority never in Auto. I do think I need to play with shutter speeds as well maybe itll help me understand things a bit better.

I have a Sony DSC N1 which I used to take photos with so Im not "new" to shooting, but I am new to DSLR's.

Also, I generally get annoyed when I see photos on the computer as thats when I really see the noise.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Also - never delete a shot until you've seen it on the computer properly (not sure where you're deleting them) !! The amount I've dismissed on the camera screen and the amount I've thought was 'the' shot until I've got home and been surprised/disappointed is unreal...

This is so true.

We were at a friends wedding recently and I took my GX1 with 20mm lens just to take some snaps in the evening.

I was getting more and more frustrated when taking a shot then looking at it on the screen and thinking it looked rubbish, but then when sticking them on the laptop and just running them through iPhoto they actually looked pretty good.

I was all set to sell up and get a 'proper' dslr but think I may stick with the small thing a bit longer, just need a couple more lenses :)